• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Lockdown: Carolina Panthers secondary wins the day

Jeremy Igo

17 hours ago, Nick_81 said:

He knocked it loose, but whether he caught it, or not, doesn't have any influence on the point I was making.  We don't have to support Norman because he's not a Panther anymore.  That's fine, but people are going above and beyond, to make him look like poo that we were better off without.  The abounding pettiness is pretty fuging sad.  It's no wonder society is so fuged right now.

Anyway, the point is, you can give me any name you choose, and I can easily run down the road to Spartanburg, and come back with a string of clips that will make said person look like a scrub.  System or not, Norman was a beast for us, an all-pro, and beyond awesome as a person.  The assholes putting him on blast every chance they get, need to crawl in a hole somewhere...

I don't think giving props to our GM for making a wise football decision is putting Norman on blast. It's just nice seeing reinforcement that our management is making good business decisions that will continue to create a winning culture.  Norman seemed like a great guy off the field, but imo it was very apparent his performance last year was a product of our environment. That's probably why he only got a big offer from the Redskins and not a contender. I think his time with the Skins will be very limited. Similar to Jairus Byrd's time with the Saints. He will only be there for 2 or 3 seasons tops. I don't blame Norman one bit for taking the big pay day. He hasn't made much during his career and he was only going to get one shot at it.

14 hours ago, MCC said:

He completely overhauled the wide receiver position, safeties, and 4/5ths of the O-Line as well.

You're absolutely right but I meant more with the draft.  Point being that he caught a lot of flack for taking back to back DT's and again this year for the CB haul.  I like that he's not afraid to just use a draft to fix a position group, which is essentially what he said in post draft interviews.  

But to your point you're right, he has definitely overhauled the interior line, linebackers, wide receivers and safeties through a combination of the draft, UDFA's and FA's. 

50 minutes ago, Nate Dogg said:

I don't think giving props to our GM for making a wise football decision is putting Norman on blast. It's just nice seeing reinforcement that our management is making good business decisions that will continue to create a winning culture.  Norman seemed like a great guy off the field, but imo it was very apparent his performance last year was a product of our environment. That's probably why he only got a big offer from the Redskins and not a contender. I think his time with the Skins will be very limited. Similar to Jairus Byrd's time with the Saints. He will only be there for 2 or 3 seasons tops. I don't blame Norman one bit for taking the big pay day. He hasn't made much during his career and he was only going to get one shot at it.

You posted two clips of Norman looking like a fool, with #Gettlemagic at the end.  That doesn't make people think you're giving props to our GM, for making a wise football decision.  It gives the impression that you feel like he's hot garbage.  It's fine if you do feel that way, as we're all entitled to our opinions.  I feel differently.  He's a very good zone CB, imo.  He could have been doing what we saw the past year and a half all along, if he wasn't so hard-headed back then.  That has nothing to do with his ability though.

We don't run a top-secret system that nobody else does, or can.  It's a zone defense, plain and simple.  McDermott does a very good job at disguising looks, and confusing offenses, but zone assignments are just that.  You play your zone, and either win or lose.  Norman won... a lot.  If he's just a product of the system, then any CB with half a brain, that plays here, would be making the pro bowl annually.  When's the last time we've had a pro bowl CB performance, much less an all-pro performance?  Washington runs a lot of zone also.  As long as he does what he's supposed to, he will be successful there as well.  The football decision Gettleman made, wasn't based on Norman's ability at all.

6 minutes ago, Nick_81 said:

The football decision Gettleman made, wasn't based on Norman's ability at all.

Agree to disagree. I know I'm just speculating, but I believe Gettleman would agree that giving Josh Norman more money than Darrelle Revis and Patrick Peterson is absurd.

Just now, Nate Dogg said:

Agree to disagree. I know I'm just speculating, but I believe Gettleman would agree that giving Josh Norman more money than Darrelle Revis and Patrick Peterson is absurd.

We're not disagreeing on that point.  Gettleman wouldn't pay Revis or Peterson that kind of money either.  That's the point.  He doesn't value that position like he does the linemen/LB's, which is where we're going to watch him spend a majority of the money.  He can't build the team the way he wants to, if he's paying DB's that much money.  It's his philosophy, not their ability, that fuels his decision.

7 hours ago, Nate Dogg said:

That is just a very strong opinion right now, furthermore not one game has been played yet this season so it definitely isn't fact. Also the skins made it a priority to not let Norman leave without signing a deal the day they brought him in, no other teams even got the chance to bring him in so I don't know how that is bad thing for him, bottom line is it is still a unknown how this will truly play out. GM made a good decision cap wise but how it will effect the team on the field is unknown. Gotta wait a see.

Archived