• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Lockdown: Carolina Panthers secondary wins the day

Jeremy Igo

3 hours ago, nctarheel0619 said:

It's too early to tell with this secondary, but, I don't recall Norman ever impressing in this way ever.  So, hoping this leads to great corner play in games. 

IIRC, Norman had 4 interceptions against Cam as a rookie in one practice in 2012.  Norman always had talent, just didn't play within the scheme.  He also ran his mouth excessively when he played the first go around before he spent some time in Rivera's doghouse.  I remember TD telling him to STFU several times to avoid personal fouls during 2012.

Gettleman has to look out for the best long-term interest of the team.  Even if the 3 Amigos play well as rookies, not having Norman is not a net-positive for 2016.  It probably is long-term, and the Panthers can certainly be successful without Norman, but let's not pretend Norman didn't have talent or benefit the team.  Norman could play from Day 1

Gettlemen has used the draft to completely overhaul two position groups so far.  The DT's with Star and Short and now the corners.  If this one is even remotely as successful as the first, this team will be really hard to beat now and in the future.

Which position group does he tackle next?  My guess is either the tackle position or defensive end.

22 minutes ago, firstdayfan said:

Gettlemen has used the draft to completely overhaul two position groups so far.  The DT's with Star and Short and now the corners.  If this one is even remotely as successful as the first, this team will be really hard to beat now and in the future.

Which position group does he tackle next?  My guess is either the tackle position or defensive end.

I'd consider the guard and WR positions as completely overhauled through the draft as well; even if guys like Norwell and Philly were UDFAs, those still count as draft picks in my book since they were evaluated in the same way. Assuming that at least 2 of the corners pan out, that's 4 position groups in 3 years, with LB perhaps a fifth position group since Klein, Shaq, and Mayo were all drafted as well.

7 minutes ago, stbugs said:

I agree with everything you said. I don't think that particular play was a great play by Norman. He got burned by Garcon. He broke it up only because it was a poorly thrown pass. Good job breaking it up, but it does show one of his flaws, his lack of make up speed. He's not a burner, so I think in man to man, he may get beat more often than he did here.

I think Norman will be a good player and I'd have loved to have had him on our roster because I think his lack of speed isn't as big of a deal in our zone coverage where instincts and knowing when to break on balls is far more important than sticking to someone like glue. Last note, I am fine with DG's decision as well because we have so many talented players coming up for extensions and I think Norman will be easier to replace* than someone like Short, Turner, Ealy, KB, etc.

* Not saying it will be easy to find an all-pro CB, but that even a decent one + Ealy can be just as good as Norman + not enough money to keep your best DE or DT.

Just to be clear, I wasn't directing that at you.  More of a general statement.  I agree with your statement as well.  The rookies will have their screw ups, but hopefully Ealy will be what we're anticipating, and a healthy CJ will help ease some of the growing pains.

29 minutes ago, firstdayfan said:

Gettlemen has used the draft to completely overhaul two position groups so far.

I would say it's 3 or 4 position groups.  Add in WR:  KB & Funchess, plus Brown UDFA.

And maybe Oline:  Turner drafted; Norwell UDFA; Williams drafted....

28 minutes ago, KSpan said:

I'd consider the guard and WR positions as completely overhauled through the draft as well; even if guys like Norwell and Philly were UDFAs, those still count as draft picks in my book since they were evaluated in the same way. Assuming that at least 2 of the corners pan out, that's 4 position groups in 3 years, with LB perhaps a fifth position group since Klein, Shaq, and Mayo were all drafted as well.

18 minutes ago, KB_fan said:

I would say it's 3 or 4 position groups.  Add in WR:  KB & Funchess, plus Brown UDFA.

And maybe Oline:  Turner drafted; Norwell UDFA; Williams drafted....

Great minds :)

1 hour ago, firstdayfan said:

Next year is a very deep draft for DE.

Watch Da Gahdfaddah load up.

5 hours ago, Montie_0123 said:

I'm happy with what I'm hearing, I hope they keep improving, because  Thieves Ave will be the name everyone will know by the end of the year.

While we're at it, Lou Young made a couple of good plays as well. They had Coleman fired up on the side lines.

Edit... Apparently I wasn't the only one that noticed.

4 hours ago, firstdayfan said:

He completely overhauled the wide receiver position, safeties, and 4/5ths of the O-Line as well.

Archived