• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Not a great day for the Panthers offense.

Jeremy Igo

This entire forum should be basically dedicated to talking about our defense. That is how the Panthers have decided to build our team...we go as far as our defensive unit will take us. Every July and August we talk about what Cam is going to do and how our offense is going to when the season begins. But every off-season our front office spends all their time trying to build a great defense and allowing the offense to make do with whatever is leftover.

For the life of me, I can never figure out why the Huddle spends a 10 to 1 ratio talking about our offense when clearly no one at BOA thinks our offense is the center of our team.

We spent more time talking about Funchess...the Second Round pick...than we ever did talking about Shaq...the First Round pick. One would have thought Funchess was selected before Shaq if you read the Huddle. 

Come game day, we will devote 80% of the time discussing what is happening on offense and unless our defense is really, really, really terrible...spend the other 10 percent talking about our Special Teams. It is so weird. 

46 minutes ago, mcdougal said:

This entire forum should be basically dedicated to talking about our defense. That is how the Panthers have decided to build our team...we go as far as our defensive unit will take us. Every July and August we talk about what Cam is going to do and how our offense is going to when the season begins. But every off-season our front office spends all their time trying to build a great defense and allowing the offense to make do with whatever is leftover.

For the life of me, I can never figure out why the Huddle spends a 10 to 1 ratio talking about our offense when clearly no one at BOA thinks our offense is the center of our team.

We spent more time talking about Funchess...the Second Round pick...than we ever did talking about Shaq...the First Round pick. One would have thought Funchess was selected before Shaq if you read the Huddle. 

Come game day, we will devote 80% of the time discussing what is happening on offense and unless our defense is really, really, really terrible...spend the other 10 percent talking about our Special Teams. It is so weird. 

You do realize we had the #1 scoring offense in the NFL last year?

Right?

51 minutes ago, tiger7_88 said:

You do realize we had the #1 scoring offense in the NFL last year?

Right?

What does that have to do with what I stated about this forum's obsession with our offense to the point that we talk/care little about our defense? I wasn't criticizing our offense. In fact, given what they had to work with our offense is amazing. I am criticizing the Huddle's hyper-concentration to a unit that comes secondary to our defense. 

It would be one thing if talked about of offense constantly because our front office spent a lot of time/resources on that unit...but for 1/2 a decade the Panthers have taken the approach of dumping almost everything into our defense. Yet we spend 80% of our time talking about what our expectations of our offense are or what our offense can/can not do. Our focus should be on our defense...they are the ones with all the amazing toys.

1 minute ago, mcdougal said:

What does that have to do with what I stated about this forum's obsession with our offense

I think it's just that our offense was incredibly (and quite surprisingly!) exciting last season.  For several seasons it seemed that Cam wasn't able to play up to his rookie potential, then BANG somehow our offense was unleashed... suddenly things clicked, so that has made people want to talk about it!

And the Huddle is hardly alone in this.  The well-known adage "offense sells tickets..." 

Offense is a lot easier for the average NFL fan to grasp.  The stats are quite evident in catches, rushing yards, and the score...   Defense is sometimes less transparent.

1 minute ago, KB_fan said:

I think it's just that our offense was incredibly (and quite surprisingly!) exciting last season.  For several seasons it seemed that Cam wasn't able to play up to his rookie potential, then BANG somehow our offense was unleashed... suddenly things clicked, so that has made people want to talk about it!

And the Huddle is hardly alone in this.  The well-known adage "offense sells tickets..." 

Offense is a lot easier for the average NFL fan to grasp.  The stats are quite evident in catches, rushing yards, and the score...   Defense is sometimes less transparent.

But it gives off a very wrong impression that this team is far more dependant on offense than we are defense. We cannot afford to dump a disproportionate amount of resources into that unit at the expense of our offense and then expect our offense to lead the way. 

What is going to happen is that by October, when our offense is not out there scoring at will, the Huddle will then get upset because we couldn't hang 50 on the Seahawks and then start to blame the OC or the QB. We should be able to comprehend how the Panthers built our team and focus on those units as strengths. That way if/when the sh*t hits the fan we are not out here calling for the heads of people that were given everything needed to succeed...not the unit that had to work with whatever resources that were leftover.

Archived