• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers Receivers Update - How it is shaping up..

Jeremy Igo

Here are the top 5 so far in camp....

TOP 5 RECEIVERS

Kelvin Benjamin – Kelvin appears to be back in near perfect form after his ACL tear last season. In fact, he has already made some pretty amazing plays.  Benjamin is, of course, a lock to make this team and probably will not budge from this number 1 spot all season long.

Devin Funchess – Funchess has also played well this year, although he is being overshadowed a bit by Benjamin. But, if you compare Funchess this year to the Funchess of a year ago, it is like they are two different players. Today, Funchess is a first team player and making tough catches, primarily in that intermediate 5-15 yards from the line of scrimmage. Last season he saw much of his time with the second and third strings.

Philly Brown – Even though he is coming off a shoulder injury, Brown has looked sharp in the first two days of Carolina Panthers Camp.  Brown does very well when he finds a soft spot in zone defensive coverage. Once the ball is in his hands, he has been gaining several yards after catch before any contact is made. As of today, Brown also look like a lock to make this team.

Stephen Hill – Now here is an interesting development. I have told you all offseason the Carolina Panthers had confidence in Stephen Hill. Now we are starting to see why. Hill has made two really nice catches in as many days in camp. On day 1 it was a touchdown catch from Joe Webb in heavy traffic. On day 2 is was a long reception from Cam Newton over Colin Jones (pictured below).  Hill is being used as a deep threat currently due to his tremendous speed. His main competition in this training camp may actually be the other deep threat, Ted Ginn.

Carolina Panthers Stephen Hill

Stephen Hill makes a tough reception

Ted Ginn – Ginn has not had a very good camp so far. On day 1 he dropped a kickoff return. On day 2, he had issues with drops and intercepted passes that were intended for him. I still do think he is a lock to make this team, but if his current performance continues on… I may start to question myself.

Here is the rest -> http://www.carolinahuddle.com/2016/07/30/carolina-panthers-wide-receivers-update/

I've been watching conventions for the last two weeks. I really needed this. I love that the top three are young guys we drafted.

Not to sound ungrateful, but can we expect these types of recaps for other positions?

Your the best Jeremy. It's great having this type of access.

Great write up Jeremy.  This is about how I expected it to go to be honest.  I'm sort of in the belief that Hill is in competition with Ginn for his spot.  Byrd will have to surplant Brown if he wants on the active roster and I just don't see that happening.   My gut says this is Hill's last shot to make the final 53 here.

If you're not excited enough about our receivers just keep this in mind:

KB is 25.  Stephen Hill is 25.  Philly Brown is 24.  Devin Funchess is 22.  That's some young guys with lots of potential right there.  

And Ricky Proehl to develop them.  

And league MVP Cam Newton.  

archer.jpg

Hell yeah, thanks for the write up. This started my day off well. If Stephen Hill and Funch keep improving at this rate and you pair that with KB and Olsen we may have the best damn receiving corps in the league.

Best QB, best receiving corps, best linebacking corps, best front 4, and possibly best oline? This team is going to be so freaking dirty.

1 hour ago, Bogart said:

Great write up Jeremy.  This is about how I expected it to go to be honest.  I'm sort of in the belief that Hill is in competition with Ginn for his spot.  Byrd will have to surplant Brown if he wants on the active roster and I just don't see that happening.   My gut says this is Hill's last shot to make the final 53 here.

Based on what I've seen of these guys, I'd think Byrd is competing with Ginn and Hill rather than Philly. Of course if any of those 3 proves to be better than Philly at various different aspects of the position other than just being faster then Philly would be the odd man out, but I don't think that's the case. I just love the fact that we have some real competition at wideout this year, unlike the past 20+ years...

I don't put much credence in it but they were mentioning on wfnz that Hill had an issue with drops yesterday. I'm also pretty sure they said they couldn't even see the field..so there is that.

2 hours ago, shaka said:

If you're not excited enough about our receivers just keep this in mind:

KB is 25.  Stephen Hill is 25.  Philly Brown is 24.  Devin Funchess is 22.  That's some young guys with lots of potential right there.  

And Ricky Proehl to develop them.  

Why won't we get Cam any weapons?!

Archived