• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Rookie Watch: James Bradberry

Jeremy Igo

1 minute ago, Untouchable said:

We're still going to bring 4 most of the time and it's a numbers game then, I'll take 7v2.

Well, it's silly to think a QB is holding the ball for 5+ seconds anyway...  Even Cam's avg. time to throw last season was under 3 seconds(2.83), and he had good protection most of the year.

I'm not too worried about it.  CP has been crying about it for a while, among other things, and will continue to do so.  It will just be amplified every time they screw up.  It's just who he is.

The good news is, if you've been following TC, the rookies have been in position almost every time.  That's one of the most important things right now.  As long as they are where they're supposed to be, good things will start happening.  It will only get better as the season progresses.  Hopefully we'll get help from the front 7, and our offense, to help ease the growing pain.

1 hour ago, panthers55 said:

Again if we have to then let's do it but we don't. I expect him to be very good at some point but few if any rookie corners are good or even decent out of the gate. Given that wins or losses usually come down to a few plays one way or the other why risk it when it isn't necessary.it isn't like we don't have the money to bring in guys with experience.  I hope he does great and will be rooting for him but don't want him to start until he is really ready. I sure hope Bene gets healthy quickly. And here is hoping Wilkes can work his magic...

No one available has anywhere near the tangible or intangible value of a Charles Tillman.  The obvious but unlikely, Hardy Jr, less obvious and also unlikely, trading for or waiting for the Chiefs to pull Berry's tag which may just happen to give us the best safety tandem in the league, are both preferable to muddying the waters of our young guys at CB with a subpar outcast has been.  JMO.

8 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Bradberry came from a very small college program. Every rookie experiences a big step up in competition going to the NFL, but what Bradberry and other small school prospects experience is a lot different than a guy who played at Alabama or USC or another collegiate powerhouse. I'd be shocked if he didn't have a lot of early struggles. The only things I really care about right now with him are judgements about his athleticism and instincts. You can't really teach those things. You can teach technique. In our zone scheme, instincts trump just about everything else. 

Jaquiski Tartt, a safety from the same program as Bradberry, started 8 games for the 49'ers last year and was their fifth leading tackler.

5 hours ago, CPantherKing said:

Yes, they are going to be taken advantage of by the likes of Mark Sanchez and Blaine Gabbert let alone the best of the best in the league.

The issue is no matter how great the LBs and DTs play, they are going to be left vulnerable as a total defense by the secondary. Opponents will play the flats and deep 3rd of the field all day.

When it comes to the fantasy football talking heads, expect them to highlight the receivers facing the Panthers as their go to picks every week (even Torrey Smith in week 2).

Zone coverage makes sure the back end is protected so long as the front four can get to the QB.  Rookies need to tackle well and if they can do that they will survive. 

56 minutes ago, tiger7_88 said:

Jaquiski Tartt, a safety from the same program as Bradberry, started 8 games for the 49'ers last year and was their fifth leading tackler.

On the 31st ranked defense in the NFL. 

I'm not saying they can't contribute early, I'm just saying it's a bigger shock at first than the guys who went to powerhouse programs. 

4 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

On the 31st ranked defense in the NFL. 

I'm not saying they can't contribute early, I'm just saying it's a bigger shock at first than the guys who went to powerhouse programs. 

I would agree with you if they both hadn't been selected in the 2nd round.

You don't pick a guy in the 2nd as a future development project.  You pick him because you think he has the ability to play.  Maybe not start, but you darned sure expect him to be a contributor, no matter what program he comes from.

13 minutes ago, tiger7_88 said:

I would agree with you if they both hadn't been selected in the 2nd round.

You don't pick a guy in the 2nd as a future development project.  You pick him because you think he has the ability to play.  Maybe not start, but you darned sure expect him to be a contributor, no matter what program he comes from.

I'm not sure which part of "I'm not saying they can't contribute early"  you didn't understand. 

3 hours ago, ctrcat said:

No one available has anywhere near the tangible or intangible value of a Charles Tillman.  The obvious but unlikely, Hardy Jr, less obvious and also unlikely, trading for or waiting for the Chiefs to pull Berry's tag which may just happen to give us the best safety tandem in the league, are both preferable to muddying the waters of our young guys at CB with a subpar outcast has been.  JMO.

There are still guys out there that would be better options than a rookie.  Guys like Cromartie, Allen and McBride among others would be instant and substantial upgrades at corner turning a liability into a strength.  They arent worth signing long term but would be good as short term rentals on a 1 year contract. and a chance to get a ring.

8 hours ago, Untouchable said:

We're still going to bring 4 most of the time and it's a numbers game then, I'll take 7v2.

You do not understand zone coverage. There are only 3 to 4 defenders responsible for the deep zones. It would never be 7v2. It would be 3v2 or 4v2 on the 3rd level. Now factor in the matchups on that 3rd level.

Give Aaron Rodgers 5 to 6 seconds in the pocket. Now match Jordy Nelson and Randall Cobb running through zones against Bradberry, Worley, Coleman, and Boston. Who do you think would win?

15 hours ago, Nick_81 said:

Well, it's silly to think a QB is holding the ball for 5+ seconds anyway...  Even Cam's avg. time to throw last season was under 3 seconds(2.83), and he had good protection most of the year.

I'm not too worried about it.  CP has been crying about it for a while, among other things, and will continue to do so.  It will just be amplified every time they screw up.  It's just who he is.

The good news is, if you've been following TC, the rookies have been in position almost every time.  That's one of the most important things right now.  As long as they are where they're supposed to be, good things will start happening.  It will only get better as the season progresses.  Hopefully we'll get help from the front 7, and our offense, to help ease the growing pain.

He'll be happy if we're losing and nowhere to be found if we're winning. He's just that sh--ty a fan/troll.

I'd suggest the mods ban him if we win the division again, but they won't have to because he won't show up anyway. He's only interested in the team losing.

He may as well just put the Saints logo in his avatar and admit the truth.

6 hours ago, CPantherKing said:

You do not understand zone coverage. There are only 3 to 4 defenders responsible for the deep zones. It would never be 7v2. It would be 3v2 or 4v2 on the 3rd level. Now factor in the matchups on that 3rd level.

Give Aaron Rodgers 5 to 6 seconds in the pocket. Now match Jordy Nelson and Randall Cobb running through zones against Bradberry, Worley, Coleman, and Boston. Who do you think would win?

I understand it just fine. I'm factoring in our rangy linebackers who can carry larger zones underneath and deeper down the field and assuming that the opponent won't be having enough time to go deep every play, won't be going deep every play, and unable to complete a low percentage throw into the deep zones consistently. 

14 hours ago, ctrcat said:

Teams on the fence about moving on from old vets make their decision during the upcoming part of a NFL season....in camp/preseason youth will two teams if they can part with older players or not.  

Vets will come avaliable.  Just have to see how the DB position goes 

Archived