• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Rookie Watch: James Bradberry

Jeremy Igo

29 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Bradberry came from a very small college program. Every rookie experiences a big step up in competition going to the NFL, but what Bradberry and other small school prospects experience is a lot different than a guy who played at Alabama or USC or another collegiate powerhouse. I'd be shocked if he didn't have a lot of early struggles. The only things I really care about right now with him are judgements about his athleticism and instincts. You can't really teach those things. You can teach technique. In our zone scheme, instincts trump just about everything else. 

in fairness, zone isn't just about instinct.  Which is why Norman lived in the doghouse for years.   He too often early on played his assignment poorly 

1 hour ago, CRA said:

in fairness, zone isn't just about instinct.  Which is why Norman lived in the doghouse for years.   He too often early on played his assignment poorly 

I meant in terms of tools that can't be taught. Instincts are more important in our scheme than pure athleticism. I've argued time and time again in here that Josh Norman is a below average athlete for an NFL CB and that it's his instincts that allowed him to more than make up for that in our scheme. If he had been drafted by a pure man cover team he would've never became the player that he became with us. Some players really are scheme specific. Norman is an elite zone CB, but he'd be a mediocre at best man cover CB. 

1 hour ago, panthers55 said:

Actually I hope he doesnt start right away.  I would like Bene to get healthy and for McClain and he to start.  Let the rookies ease into the rotation without pressure or undo expectations.  Honestly a superbowl caliber team doesnt need rookies starting anywhere on their team. 

The schedule sets up perfectly to throw him into the fire.  Sanchez/Lynch, Gabbert?, and Bridgewater. Couldn't ask for anything more than that.

An UDFA rookie CB in Malcolm Butler ruined the legacy of Pete Carroll and dangeRuss.

3 minutes ago, ctrcat said:

The schedule sets up perfectly to throw him into the fire.  Sanchez/Lynch, Gabbert?, and Bridgewater. Couldn't ask for anything more than that.

An UDFA rookie CB in Malcolm Butler ruined the legacy of Pete Carroll and dangeRuss.

It isn't that we couldn't ride with him or one of the other rookies and when we were rebuilding and cap strapped it made sense.  But this defense is a high accountability defense that is actually pretty complicated. Any mistakes often result in giving up big gains. Something we don't need to do especially when we can find some reasonably priced vets who would jump at the chance to play here 

8 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

It isn't that we couldn't ride with him or one of the other rookies and when we were rebuilding and cap strapped it made sense.  But this defense is a high accountability defense that is actually pretty complicated. Any mistakes often result in giving up big gains. Something we don't need to do especially when we can find some reasonably priced vets who would jump at the chance to play here 

We'll see.  I guess if he's a total disaster we could still make a move after the season before divisional play begins but I find it crazy unlikely it's that bad, given the early positive reviews, and especially with the favorable QB matchups.  JMO, but I say trust the front 7 and scouting process that showed he's coachable and made him the highest drafted CB in a decade.  And live with the inevitable mistakes.

3 minutes ago, ctrcat said:

And live with the inevitable mistakes.

This is the key right here.  Those kids are going to give up some plays.  Probably some big ones.  It comes with the territory, but it's going to be pretty stupid around here when it happens.  All of the "I told you so," and "DG fuged this pick up" folks will be out in force.  Those weeks are miserable on here...

41 minutes ago, Nick_81 said:

This is the key right here.  Those kids are going to give up some plays.  Probably some big ones.  It comes with the territory, but it's going to be pretty stupid around here when it happens.  All of the "I told you so," and "DG fuged this pick up" folks will be out in force.  Those weeks are miserable on here...

Yes, they are going to be taken advantage of by the likes of Mark Sanchez and Blaine Gabbert let alone the best of the best in the league.

The issue is no matter how great the LBs and DTs play, they are going to be left vulnerable as a total defense by the secondary. Opponents will play the flats and deep 3rd of the field all day.

When it comes to the fantasy football talking heads, expect them to highlight the receivers facing the Panthers as their go to picks every week (even Torrey Smith in week 2).

49 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

I'm good with him starting right away.  But it all comes down to the DLine.  If they are keeping opponents from running are getting around 45+ sacks next year (and countless more pressures), Bradberry will be just fine.  

Not if teams go max pro and make the Panthers secondary prove they can cover for 5+ seconds per pass with consistent communication among the rookies.

1 hour ago, ctrcat said:

We'll see.  I guess if he's a total disaster we could still make a move after the season before divisional play begins but I find it crazy unlikely it's that bad, given the early positive reviews, and especially with the favorable QB matchups.  JMO, but I say trust the front 7 and scouting process that showed he's coachable and made him the highest drafted CB in a decade.  And live with the inevitable mistakes.

Again if we have to then let's do it but we don't. I expect him to be very good at some point but few if any rookie corners are good or even decent out of the gate. Given that wins or losses usually come down to a few plays one way or the other why risk it when it isn't necessary.it isn't like we don't have the money to bring in guys with experience.  I hope he does great and will be rooting for him but don't want him to start until he is really ready. I sure hope Bene gets healthy quickly. And here is hoping Wilkes can work his magic...

50 minutes ago, CPantherKing said:

Not if teams go max pro and make the Panthers secondary prove they can cover for 5+ seconds per pass with consistent communication among the rookies.

We're still going to bring 4 most of the time and it's a numbers game then, I'll take 7v2.

Archived