• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The God's Honest Truth About Jake

neverlosethefeeling

Agree about the consistency issue, but lots of exceptions to the making deep posteason runs with average QBs. Super Bowl-appearing teams in last 7 seasons:

2008 Arizona Cardinals (Debatable -- Kurt Warner)

2006 Chicago Bears (Rex Grossman)

2005 Seattle Seahawks (Matt Hasselback)

2003 Carolina Panthers (Delhomme, obv)

2002 Oakland Raiders (Rich Gannon)

2002 Tampa Bay Bucs (Brad Johnson)

That's like 42% of the teams that made the Super Bowl.

(Some of these guys may be marginally better than Delhomme, but there's a lot of averageness in the lot. Warner obviously overachieved last year but he's nothing special at this point in his career).

I'd hardly call Warner, or Gannon "serviceable". Maybe not even Hasselbeck.

God's Honest Truth: He's turned it over 12 times in 3 games (granted he was forced to throw that last INT to give the play hope, even though it was late). No one's said he has to be a Manning or Brady. Im tired of the Nut huggers making irrational statements like that. Just because he's getting criticised doesn't mean we want him to be like that. We just want him to make better decisions, be more accurate with his throws, read routes, read defenses, and be consistant. All of which he's struggled with lately.

He's an average (at best) QB, at this point in his career, and in today's NFL you cannot be consistent and make deep postseason runs with average QBs.

Bull. We've done it with this "Average (at best)" quaterback before.

I want to WIN! I don't just want a "chance." And I know of two games in which I can clearly argue that statement.

That was last season. A lot has happened. Many players have lost confidence in him.

And we're crazy for wanting that? Why should we accept mediocrity?

1. I said "with a few obvious exceptions." How cute that you left that out.

2. Name one player who you know that has said they've lost confidence in him. Don't worry, I'll wait. Matter of fact, I think I remember our All-Pro left tackle saying last week that Jake was one of the reasons he wanted to come back here...to play for Jake. And today he said again "I'm one of his biggest fans." Gross has arguably the easiest route to show his displeasure in Jake...all he has to do is accidentally miss a rushing defensive end or line backer.

3. You're crazy for expecting even Drew Brees to be able to throw 6TDs every game. No Quarterback, no matter how great, should shoulder that responsibilty. And even the GREAT Tom Brady showed today he has some off games...they lost to the JETS! With a ROOKIE quarterback! And the GREAT Bill Belicheat! And RANDY OMGZ MOSS!

With the way football is becoming more pass oriented at every level, it will become extremely rare to see teams win consistently with average QBs.

Wasn't it just last year that football was becoming a game in which you needed 2 capable running backs? Didn't last year that say that one feature back almost can't get it done anymore?

Am I missing something?

Agree about the consistency issue, but lots of exceptions to the making deep posteason runs with average QBs. Super Bowl-appearing teams in last 7 seasons:

2008 Arizona Cardinals (Debatable -- Kurt Warner)

2006 Chicago Bears (Rex Grossman)

2005 Seattle Seahawks (Matt Hasselback)

2003 Carolina Panthers (Delhomme, obv)

2002 Oakland Raiders (Rich Gannon)

2002 Tampa Bay Bucs (Brad Johnson)

That's like 42% of Conference Champs since '02.

(Some of these guys may be marginally better than Delhomme, but there's a lot of averageness in the lot. Warner obviously overachieved last year but he's nothing special at this point in his career).

I disagree that Warner is average, even at this stage in his career. He threw something like 2 incomplete passes against the Jags. Hasselbeck went to the SB in 05, but he was far from average and what I would consider at the time a top 10 NFL QB.

Grossman was a one-hit wonder and an inconsistent mess in 2006, and a major reason nobody gave the Bears a chance to win 41 against the Colts.

In 2003 Delhomme was an above average QB down the stretch. But he doesn't have the same abilities as he did in 2003, it was 6 years ago.

Brad had a nice run in TB and Gannon gave the Raiders great production for four years, and that SB run he led his team to he had outstanding production, so I wouldn't consider either of them average at that time period either.

poster... your post had a lot of if's and but's (tic for tac)

he didn't lose us the game, but he didn't win it.

I want a QB that can put the game on his shoulders.

2 dimensions are better than 1!

How many times in his career has Jake led us to victory in the 4th quarter?

Didn't he even do that his first career game as a panther? And he only had 1 half of the game to work with?

Doesn't he have more comebacks than any other quarterback since he's been a starter?

Doesn't he have the highest 4th quarter rating in that same time frame?

Oh.

Archived