• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers positional review - Safeties

Jeremy Igo

I'm game to see Boston prove me wrong.  He definitely has the ballhawk mentality but he'll need to show a lot of improvement this year.  Still think Marlowe has a good shot because I just don't see the Boston-Coleman combo being a full time deal given their run support issues/inconsistencies.  

Does anyone know anything about Trenton Robinson other than the stats sheet? I had never heard of him until he was signed. Does he have a shot at being depth? Same question for Ball? Jones is a ST stalwart, but hopefully doesn't see the field on D.

As someone said in the thread already, I'm a little bit worried about our safeties from a run support standpoint this year.  Roman Harper had his weaknesses for sure - he was slow and he would miss some tackles that he shouldn't have, but I think one of the most important things he did for our defense was being where he was supposed to be in run support.  He'd fill the right gap so that even if he didn't make the tackle, he'd slow the guy down enough for Luke or TD to finish the play.

Surprised we didn't push for a elite Safety like Eric Berry. Concerned about depth if injury happens. I think Colin Jones is our best backup honestly. Our secondary will be challenged but I still believe our front plus STAR THE SAVAGE will hold down most runs and create chaos for teams. 

It just feels like if we completed an elite tier safety net behind our line then the Carolina Panthers will truly be one of the best teams for years to come on a year to year basis.

5 hours ago, General_Purr said:

Surprised we didn't push for a elite Safety like Eric Berry. Concerned about depth if injury happens. I think Colin Jones is our best backup honestly. Our secondary will be challenged but I still believe our front plus STAR THE SAVAGE will hold down most runs and create chaos for teams. 

It just feels like if we completed an elite tier safety net behind our line then the Carolina Panthers will truly be one of the best teams for years to come on a year to year basis.

Eric Berry could still be had.  Now.  Not kidding.  Of course, everyone has a price, and his salary as well as the pick we would have to give would likely be too rich, but it'd be far less than the standard two first rounders.  The negotiations there got ugly and their cap situation is a disaster.  As mentioned before I'd rather have him than JNo straight up.

38 minutes ago, stbugs said:

There was a stat posted on here about how 30 something % of runs against us went for 0 or less yards or 1 or less yards, which was tops in the NFL. We likely have the best middle in football in terms of Gs/C and DTs.

Is this what you're thinking of?

Archived