• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers 2nd best in league with rookie corners...

Jeremy Igo

An amazing bit of research and analysis by @KB_fan is now featured on the home page. 

I encourage all of you to read it. 

http://www.carolinahuddle.com/2016/07/21/carolina-panthers-corners/

excerpt... 

In fact, by doing some very deep digging in the Pro Football reference (PFR) database, I've found some pretty strong evidence that the Panthers have been second-best in the NFL, just slightly behind the Patriots, in terms of getting solid production and impact from rookie Corner Backs.

Rookie Corner Backs in the NFL:  1995 - 2015 by team.  Games, Starts, and AV data

sorted in order of highest Average AV per rookie CB to lowest

All teams rookie CBs and AV 1995 - 2015.png

The Carolina Panthers have a nice track record over their 21 year history, including recently under Ron Rivera, when they've turned to rookie CBs.  The average AV rating of their rookie CBs is second only to the Patriots.  Perhaps on a more exciting note, Carolina coaches seem to excel in getting maximum impact per rookie CB, having the highest number and percent of any team in the league of rookie CBs with an AV of 5 or better in the past 21 years.  (AV 5+ columns in the table above.)  Nearly one-third of all Panthers rookie CBs over the years have excelled at this level, including two players under Coach Rivera (Melvin White and Josh Norman).

since the team's inception we've been a defensively-focused franchise with a top-down emphasis on excellent pass rush, and i don't think we've ever not had a household name on the defensive line, sometimes two, usually along with a stellar linebacking corps. the panthers have historically been a very good team to come into as a player in the secondary.

i don't think it's a coincidence that 2000 and 2011 feature the worst collective cornerback AV in team history.

13 minutes ago, PhillyB said:

the panthers have historically been a very good team to come into as a player in the secondary.

i don't think it's a coincidence that 2000 and 2011 feature the worst collective cornerback AV in team history.

Great observation, Philly.

I was tempted to comment more about the ups & downs of Panthers CBs over the years, but the article was already getting long and I wanted to get to the team by team breakdown of rookie CBs and AV for the past 21 seasons, so I didn't dig as deeply into Panthers' defense history as I could have done.

One other table I didn't include which might be of interest:   From 1995 - 2015, CB's are third highest of all positions for Panthers rookies in terms of the average AV per rookie, after OT (which surprised me) and QB.

Panthers average rookie AV by position.png

This definitely helps quell some of the anxiety I'm feeling about our secondary but in the end it's a new crop of kids that could skew the AV up or down.  Let's hope that Total AV for CB goes up by the end of 2016.

7 minutes ago, SCP said:

This definitely helps quell some of the anxiety I'm feeling about our secondary but in the end it's a new crop of kids that could skew the AV up or down.  Let's hope that Total AV for CB goes up by the end of 2016.

That's not anxiety, that's your next poop alerting you of its presence.

Grab a beer and a mag and go take care of that parasitic twin floating in your lower intestine.

3 hours ago, Cam El said:

I don't have time to look at it in depth, right now but I'm wondering how relevant it is, if you are looking at 21 years. There may not be enough data but it seems like only, what has happened under the current regime, would really matter.

The article addresses that. Much of it is under Rivera. 

7 minutes ago, Cam El said:

I don't have time to look at it in depth, right now but I'm wondering how relevant it is, if you are looking at 21 years. There may not be enough data but it seems like only, what has happened under the current regime, would really matter.

I did break that out to some extent in the article. 

Ron is above average in terms of getting value out of rookie corners.  (Avg AV per rookie CB of 2.5) Much better than Capers or Seifert.  Fox is best overall (Avg AV of 3.1 per rookie CB), but of course he had Gamble, Manning, Richard Marshall, Captain to work with during his tenure.

But the performance of Bene, Josh and Marvin White under Ron is very encouraging.  If we can get similar performance in the AV3 to AV 5 range out of Bradberry or Worley we should be in very good shape.

1 hour ago, KB_fan said:

I didn't dig as deeply into Panthers' defense history as I could have done.

But you did go way above and beyond your duty as a Panther fan and even as a stat expert. Great work! We're lucky to have you on the Huddle. 

Archived