• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The official camp sleepers thread....

Jeremy Igo

Johnson, Cash, Miley.  All priority free agents the last two years.  I'll throw a curve too and say Waters as a sleeper, sneaking by Scifres.

Byrd is a great pick too but I'm with you thinking that WR might be too hard to break into this year without an injury.  

45 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Isn't that pretty much the definition?

Obviously not to me, and some posters don't want to play by the rules even when you spell 'em out. 

The pickings are slim for sleepers to make the roster. The rookies are either locks or long shots. I'd have to go with Cash, although it's crowded at LB.

1 hour ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Dean Marlowe was on the roster last year. 

You think Byrd And Garrett both make the regular roster? 

Dang it. I missed that. Going with your list then, but I'm switching DJ for KG.

You know this may be a little bit of an exercise in wishful thinking. If Garrett gets a good shot, I just believe that he's going to produce. I had my eye on Byrd last year, and I kind of think he got "Riveraed" (funny term, but most Huddlers should know what I'm saying). I can't really argue it though because he was just a tad TOO small. Green! And wasn't really a threat to be snagged from the practice squad. Garrett is a well-put-together, bigger receiver that seems to have soft hands and is deceptively smooth. I think he just may prove to be a more natural receiver than some of the others. As such, I just don't believe that he is going to be placed back into the bargain bin where shadowing eyes and quick hands can sn@tch him up.

i'd say cox was still a sleeper last year even though he didn't make the roster. he put up a great summer performance. i think he still gets credit as a sleeper for showing he is someone who can grow into something.

i think sandland is my sleeper, not for making the roster, but for actually getting legit playing time. i think he surpasses even the slightly raised expectations we are brewing for him here. something about him is just like greg olsen. his interviews give off the same vibe and his approach seems closely modeled after greg. plus, the guy is much more of an athlete than 7th round from montana sounds like-- he was top TE in bench, vert and broad jumps. he has the tools to succeed and the intelligence to learn the system quickly this summer.

i'm thinking he puts up numbers somewhere between philly's rookie season and funch's rookie season. i think he takes the young greg olsen role and olsen turns into a more productive shockey very soon.

EDIT: here is my prediction: 26 rec, 380 yards, 3 tds

1 hour ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Today is the day you predict your training camp sleepers. 

But I want to know who yours are so I can keep an eye out next week. 

FYI, I'm posting mine without having read yours or anyone else's yet...

• Vernon Butler  (not really sure our 1st round draft pick is a "sleeper" though...)
  • Beau Sandland
  • Arthur Miley  (does he count?  He was on our IR last season, never on the 53)
  • Damiere Byrd
  • Can I count Lou Young?  He was on the 53 during the playoffs but never active for a game.

4 minutes ago, KB_fan said:

FYI, I'm posting mine without having read yours or anyone else's yet...

• Vernon Butler  (not really sure our 1st round draft pick is a "sleeper" though...)
  • Beau Sandland
  • Arthur Miley  (does he count?  He was on our IR last season, never on the 53)
  • Damiere Byrd
  • Can I count Lou Young?  He was on the 53 during the playoffs but never active for a game.

Young is old (edit: ha ha). Butler and Sandland  are assumed to be roster locks. By Jeremy's definition for this thread, they can't be sleepers.

5 minutes ago, top dawg said:

Young is old (edit: ha ha). Butler and Sandland  are assumed to be roster locks. By Jeremy's definition for this thread, they can't be sleepers.

OK... I included Butler & Sandland, even though probable "roster locks" as those I think might have one of the most impressive pre-seasons....

So officially put me down for Miley & Byrd, and I'll throw in either Hawkins or Yankey. as a third sleeper.

(Unless we only go with 8 Oline on the Roster, or we sign someone, or unless Foucault has dramatically imrproved, we're still lacking a #9 Oline depth guy to help back up OT and G.   Hopefully some player will emerge as being the new unheralded Oline surprise...)

5 minutes ago, stbugs said:

I like Sandland a lot because of the OTA hype and the athleticism, posted about it on another board. He wasn't the top TE in those three, He was #3 in vert, #1 in broad jump and #2 in bench press. That said, his combine was very good. Only his cone/shuttle times were not near the top. His 40 was only 0.03 away from being 2nd.

I think he could end up being better than guys like Hooper and Vannett, who were drafted way before him. He's got a heckuva mentor and his interviews seem to have him saying the right things. If he really buys into the culture and learning, he'll be a great value for a 7th rounder.

weird, the nfl combine profile has him starred on those three as top performer.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/beau-sandland?id=2555487

either way, he's gonna look like a steal by the end of the season.

Archived