• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Are the Panthers receivers just average?

Jeremy Igo

2 hours ago, GoobyPls said:

Receivers aren't quarterbacks they can usually adopt to systems quiets easy. To say Cam wouldn't do better throwing to the likes of AJ Green and DeAndre Hopkins is sacrileges.

You are trying everything in your power to credit Ginn for a mediocre season for NFL standards. You are even excusing wide open drops which is the main reason he is a journeyman. 

Ginn is the perfect rebuttal to the argument about how easy it is for receivers to change systems. He is great here because of the system which emphasizes his strengths. That coupled with a quarterback who can throw the deep ball. In largely WCO systems with quarterbacks who can't throw deep he struggled. It isn't just learning a system but being in a system which takes advantage of your strengths.

And it isn't obvious to me at all that Hopkins or Green would do better in our system than Benjamin and Funchess. In fact I would say that assumption is actually naive and suggests you may look at numbers but have little understanding of systems and requisite skill sets. Not all receivers will thrive in every system and that should be obvious to even casual fans.

What's better? A receiver who catches 6 of 6 passes with a total of 20 yds. after the catch, or one (Ginn, for example) who drops 2 of the 6 but gets a TD out of the other 4? Certainly the 6 for 6 guy could help you get that TD, just by making the catches and falling down with some positive yardage, but at least in some situations an explosive runner like Ginn, who drops a few, is the guy you want on the field. 

1 hour ago, Kakarot said:

Looks like Cam, Olsen, KB, and the rest of the WRs & TEs are in Baltimore training.

He has his camp up here every year. Didn't know it included TEs too though. I would go looking for them but the restraining order and all...you know.

14 hours ago, panthers55 said:

Ginn is the perfect rebuttal to the argument about how easy it is for receivers to change systems. He is great here because of the system which emphasizes his strengths. That coupled with a quarterback who can throw the deep ball. In largely WCO systems with quarterbacks who can't throw deep he struggled. It isn't just learning a system but being in a system which takes advantage of your strengths.

And it isn't obvious to me at all that Hopkins or Green would do better in our system than Benjamin and Funchess. In fact I would say that assumption is actually naive and suggests you may look at numbers but have little understanding of systems and requisite skill sets. Not all receivers will thrive in every system and that should be obvious to even casual fans.

Ginn played for Arizona who are among the league leaders in passes over 20 yards, Ginn got beat out by a rookie receiver, while in Miami he had Henne who only threw it deep he still sucked, in SF Kyle Wiliams with the same skill set beat him out and got more snaps.

Ginn took advantage of his high usage rate with us and had the MVP throwing to him, you look at his yards and receptions for the amount of snaps he took he wasn't "great" in any sense.

If Hopkins can produce with the smorgasbord of QBs in Houston you are out of your mind if you think he won't produce with Cam. Same with Green whose a generational talent. Wes Welker went from a dink and dunk offense to a more vertical one and had his best TD season.

Our receivers are nothing special every with half a brain can see that.

14 hours ago, GoobyPls said:

Ginn played for Arizona who are among the league leaders in passes over 20 yards, Ginn got beat out by a rookie receiver, while in Miami he had Henne who only threw it deep he still sucked, in SF Kyle Wiliams with the same skill set beat him out and got more snaps.

Ginn took advantage of his high usage rate with us and had the MVP throwing to him, you look at his yards and receptions for the amount of snaps he took he wasn't "great" in any sense.

If Hopkins can produce with the smorgasbord of QBs in Houston you are out of your mind if you think he won't produce with Cam. Same with Green whose a generational talent. Wes Welker went from a dink and dunk offense to a more vertical one and had his best TD season.

Our receivers are nothing special every with half a brain can see that.

In his 7 seasons outside of the Panthers Ginn was pedestrian playing for 3 teams who obviously didn't know how to use him outside of punt returis.

Still why wasn't he pedestrian here? Because we had no one else? That wouldn't have made him productive it just means he would have still sucked along with everyone else. It isn't as if everyone of our receivers had great seasons last year. 

Ginn did have 96 targets and 44 catches but explain why he had career highs in yards and yards per catch. Top 10 in the league in efficiency. And if it was all Cam then all of our receivers like Cotchery or Brown should have been highly productive and they weren't. He got the chances because he played well when given opportunities.

And for Green and Hopkins that is all speculation and not worth arguing about hypotheticals beyond stating an opinion which we both did.

And who said Ginn was a great receiver or equal to all pros? What I have said was when forced to play a 1or 2 role due to injuries he did a very good job and when he plays as a 3 or 4 should be very good. Now unless you can plow new ground or respond to what I said instead of offering more reheated opinions and speculation, I am done.

4 hours ago, panthers55 said:

In his 7 seasons outside of the Panthers Ginn was pedestrian playing for 3 teams who obviously didn't know how to use him outside of punt returis.

Still why wasn't he pedestrian here? Because we had no one else? That wouldn't have made him productive it just means he would have still sucked along with everyone else. It isn't as if everyone of our receivers had great seasons last year. 

Ginn did have 96 targets and 44 catches but explain why he had career highs in yards and yards per catch. Top 10 in the league in efficiency. And if it was all Cam then all of our receivers like Cotchery or Brown should have been highly productive and they weren't. He got the chances because he played well when given opportunities.

And for Green and Hopkins that is all speculation and not worth arguing about hypotheticals beyond stating an opinion which we both did.

And who said Ginn was a great receiver or equal to all pros? What I have said was when forced to play a 1or 2 role due to injuries he did a very good job and when he plays as a 3 or 4 should be very good. Now unless you can plow new ground or respond to what I said instead of offering more reheated opinions and speculation, I am done.

This who "didn't use him right" is a terrible argument. All 3 teams brought him in with the intention of starting as a number 3 but by the time regular season came along he was beaten out by another receiver. In Miami he was used the same way in Carolina the difference is they weren't  winning and didn't have patience with his terrible hands and limited route tree.

Ginn wasn't highly productive and the fact that he beat out Brown and Cotchery for the number 1 shows how weak our WR core was.

Theirs nothing hypothetical about saying Cam would produce with two talented receivers, it's common sense.

Your just going out of your way to prove a non existent point. Ask 31 other fan bases if they think we have a good WR core, you get your answer really quick.

Archived