• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What are the main obstacles in the way for the Panthers to Superbowl 51?

Jeremy Igo

1 hour ago, panthernation8923 said:

whats the biggest obstacles to SB 51

1) Seahawks

2) Seahawks

3) Seahawks

This isn't 7 on 7 flag.  This is real, big boy football.  Line play counts, and they have none.  They also lost Cam's mini-kryptonite Irvin.  There are far greater obstacles ahead of those jokers.  Including JStew's health, DE play, secondary, injuries to x, y, z, etc.. I'd even put multiple teams including Teddy Toothpick (who scares me NONE) and his Vikings over the Seahawks.

Mine is the backup OL and injuries to cam.

The CB have many things to cover-up the inexperience- great 9 man DL rotation. Luke, TD and shaq are among the best pass covering LBs in the league. Coleman was great in pass coverage last year\ commucation and he's the new SS. Boston at this stage is a upgrade form a pass defense standpoint over Harper. Coaching- Steve wiklis and his assistants are as good as they come. Panthers offense lead the league in scoring. Still a huge unknown with all that help.

Now the backup OL, where to start? Williams did stay local and improve his body/mind. Still I'm not as high on him as many others. Chris Scott has been hanging out on the roster bubble for three years off/on the 53. Like Williams, spot starter is about Max I feel comfy with. Gino has been awful as a backup C, Ray brown and matsko need to use their warlock skills to fix him. Speaking of Ray brown, he may be the best option at backup LT, whats wrong with adding another year to the insane 20 year career? Frenchie and hawkins,?!?!?!?!!!!?!?

Not even typing what would happen if injuries happen to _____ .

Definitely agree on the schedule, it is by far my greatest concern.  Traveling to Denver as we as the west coast three times is a lot of miles.  That type of travel can wear on you and east coast teams struggle out west.  

Couple that with Green Bay having a very easy schedule and we could be looking at a very cold road trip in January.  We have the best team and can certainly overcome anything, but that would be something I would like to avoid.

27 minutes ago, panthernation8923 said:

The playoff game they lost in their stadium to the seahawks?  The one where they were held to 9 points. I doubt they even make the playoffs this year, let alone be considered a contender. AP is 31 now(not sure if it matters with him though), injury prone, if he gets hurt that team is a 4 win team. 

Truth be told they don't scare me either, just more than Seattle.  I expect Green Bay to win the division.

On 7/17/2016 at 0:13 AM, ctrcat said:

This isn't 7 on 7 flag.  This is real, big boy football.  Line play counts, and they have none.  They also lost Cam's mini-kryptonite Irvin.  There are far greater obstacles ahead of those jokers.  Including JStew's health, DE play, secondary, injuries to x, y, z, etc.. I'd even put multiple teams including Teddy Toothpick (who scares me NONE) and his Vikings over the Seahawks.

By no means talking crap here but.. when have the Seahawks really had an OL of late?  Last season it was an unmitigated disaster and yet it was the defense that wasn't able to hold the lead up in Seattle. 

You sound like all the fans that wrote you guys off last year with the Benjamin injury.  Weird things happen in this league.. looking past a seasoned Seahawks team with a ton of talent is as foolish as Seahawk fans going "ahhhh Carolina was a fluke!" 

To me Seattle and Carolina are the class of the conference with Arizona and Green Bay also in the conversation. 

1 hour ago, Beast Mode said:

By no means talking crap here but.. when have the Seahawks really had an OL of late?  Last season it was an unmitigated disaster and yet it was the defense that wasn't able to hold the lead up in Seattle. 

You sound like all the fans that wrote you guys off last year with the Benjamin injury.  Weird things happen in this league.. looking past a seasoned Seahawks team with a ton of talent is as foolish as Seahawk fans going "ahhhh Carolina was a fluke!" 

To me Seattle and Carolina are the class of the conference with Arizona and Green Bay also in the conversation. 

In 2013 the Panthers utterly dominated the Hawks up front but that OL still had Carpenter, Giacomini, McQuistan, Sweezy, Unger, Okung, et al.  In the 2014/15 Divisional Round Unger was back while Star was out and dangeRuss was 8-8 on 3rd down (shout out to Colin Jones and Roman Harper as well).  But there's a difference between bad and God-awful.  I watched William Hayes utterly destroy Gary Gilliam in Seattle late last year.  Okung was unreliable but still average to good when available.  Sweezy was no All-Star but Glowinski, Webb, and Britt likely wouldn't start for any other team.  Ifedi is a wild card but based on scouting reports and the STEEP curve from recent even so called elite OL coming out of college, expecting a miracle there is unrealistic at best and delusional at worst.  In this league weaknesses will be exposed and the Hawks OL is God-awful.

2 minutes ago, ctrcat said:

In 2013 the Panthers utterly dominated the Hawks up front but that OL still had Carpenter, Giacomini, McQuistan, Sweezy, Unger, Okung, et al.  In the 2014/15 Divisional Round Unger was back while Star was out and dangeRuss was 8-8 on 3rd down (shout out to Colin Jones and Roman Harper as well).  But there's a difference between bad and God-awful.  I watched William Hayes utterly destroy Gary Gilliam in Seattle late last year.  Okung was unreliable but still average to good when available.  Sweezy was no All-Star but Glowinski, Webb, and Britt likely wouldn't start for any other team.  Ifedi is a wild card but based on scouting reports and the STEEP curve from recent even so called elite OL coming out of college, expecting a miracle there is unrealistic at best and delusional at worst.  In this league weaknesses will be exposed and the Hawks OL is God-awful.

I fully expect the first half of the season to be a wild adventure, with the second half being less awful.  

Fortunately we play you guys in December this go around. 

Agree entirely that our season hinges on how bad the OL really is.  But until they play the games.. we just don't know.  

Not going to lie though.. I would much prefer not facing the Fins and Rams to start the year testing out an even less experienced starting OL than the year before which was a huge catalyst for the slow start to the season. 

On July 17, 2016 at 1:13 AM, ctrcat said:

Agreed outside of teddy and a below avg oline that Vikings team is really good

I think the biggest threat if and when the playoffs come around will be Rodgers and Wilson making bs plays to save the game, plus refs like every year.

The biggest thing we have that the rest of the league doesn't is Luke Keuchly. He is another QB on the field for us, except that he is on defense. He matches with opposing QBs and frankly turns our defense into something offensive. In addition to having the best group of DTs in the NFL we should be able to witness something special with that group next year.

Archived