• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Belineli to charlotte

I'm team 'Disguntled center' now.  Cousins, Dwight, Whiteside.  As long as we keep Batum, Marvin, and MKG stays healthy then we can manage.  I still really want to keep Lin and Lee for depth but I also hope they get paid.  A gamble.

1 hour ago, Omega Atrocity said:

The whole "treadmill" statements are really overblown. If championship or bust is the only way to go then the Thunder with KD and Westbrook are a treadmill team.

Treadmill is definately overblown, but treadmill to me doesn't mean Championship or bust, it means being an elite team that can compete for a championship or bust. The Thunder definately competed this year. 

what eastern conference teams that competed in the playoffs are built on draft picks? i don't really believe any of them were. you can say lebron and kyrie. every team has maybe one or two self-drafted players who start and are important on the squad. here, we have kemba and presumably mkg. maybe eventually we can say that about frank or someone. other than that, we're in a good place. 

2 hours ago, Carl Spackler said:

Oh boy

1) Going by the season before last, Nic Batum was a bad player too. But we traded for him, you probably bitched, and then were wrong. Shocker

2) Added cap space. Replacing an $11-12 million/year player with $6 million/year player is a net loss in cap space

3) No one told you to write an article on swarmandsting.com, least of all someone who has a grip on sports

4) Name the player who is better than Belinelli right now and don't say Malachi Richardson unless you want to keep your streak alive

5) What great basketball minds did George Shinn hire?

6) Those great basketball minds had Zo and LJ and their solution was to let both go; Those great minds also drafted George Zidek and Kirk Haston near our pick last night

7) It's "Could have"

8) This team has a dearth of players under contract and in a rising cap year the uncertainty behind their roster necessitates a move that will increase their likelihood of having solid 3-point shooting in the rotation. Jeremy Lamb has underachieved and Lee costs too much for what he does. 

9) Sacramento averaged 7 less threes per game than Charlotte last season. The fact is their offense is different from ours. They don't value spacing, they focus on Boogie and they have an awful locker room atmosphere full of petulant players and executives who exacerbate the problems between coaches and players. Players succeed in different locations using different systems. This is how Tyson Chandler goes from 6 ppg in Charlotte to playing well enough to make an Olympic team

10) Log off

We made further than the first round back then at least....Had two hall of famers on the roster....You can come back this next season but I will bet you will not have the same tone when we miss the playoffs. Sigh this fanbase is always okay at being okay. No wonder we haven't been further than the first round. At least we have the good ole days. This franchise will never compete at a high level but you will have to see that in time. Hope all you guys have a good day and understand I am sharing my opinion like any fan would. You don't like it I don't give a crap same way you don't give a crap about my opinion. Difference is I do not attack people directly only a franchise who is going nowhere anytime soon.

4 hours ago, Carl Spackler said:

Historically inconsistent outside shooter

39%
39%
38%
41%
38%
36%
43%
37%
30%

Historically inconsistent

I wasnt talking about his shooting.  I was talking about him showing up, being the microwave-like scorer teams expected him to be, and giving any effort at all on defense.  There's a reason he hasn't stuck with a team and that we will be his seventh or eighth team.

1 hour ago, HeatCheck said:

So what's the reason C.Lee has been on 6 teams in less years in the NBA?

The same.  He's a role player who has shown flashes to make teams believe there's more there than what there actually is.  Usually those teams are hoping they can be the organization to unlock that potential, but in the NBA that rarely ever happens.

And as much as I love Lin and appreciate Lee's contributions down the stretch last year, there's a reason teams with a dearth of these kind of players rarely make it out of the first round.  

I'm not saying Belinelli is a horrible player.  I'm saying if you hit on a guy with a similar skill set at 22, you have him for more years and on a cheaper deal (not to mention the potential that they could grow into an even better player than Belinelli)...  and there will be several guys taken after 22 that end up being better than Belinelli.  I would've loved if he had chose us last year in FA when we were trying to sign him, but he didn't.  Instead, he chose SAC and we trade a first rounder for him.  Smh...  Hopefully they took on Hawes and Lamb, otherwise it is another middle-of-the-road/treadmill eastern conference also-ran team, type of move.

On second thought, i'm turning over a new leaf.  This place can't be milquetoast enough.  You can never have too much vanilla, can you?  Let's just smother any and all dissenting opinions and let's all jump in the circle jerk while nodding our heads in silent, orgasmic approval of every single fuging thing our teams do.  When we are met with a well thought out, reasoned argument that differs from ours, let's just ignore it and post memes, videos, pie like minded posters for being dicks to the guys we don't like, and arrogantly avoid valid discussions to be had!

I fuging love belinelli, cho, and everything our front office does.  I hope we're scouting the local AAU circuit for the next big white guy we can draft to come in and set the world on fire with 8 and 5 so we can either not pick up his option in his 4th year or trade him before we ever get to that point.  I fuging love it.  fug it...  let's package our next 4 first rounders together and see if we can trade them to enterprise rent a car to lure Big Country Reeves out of retirement.  poo, I'd even settle on a deal for Rick Brunson and Chucky Brown, dudes could light it up on occasion and they played on plenty of teams, so they'd be perfect fits.  Jeremy Lamb is the fuging future, and he totally deserved that contract.  And even though I spoke out against ever signing Lance because he didn't fit, fug that too...  i was wrong, that was the right move, and hey!  If it wasn't for him, we wouldn't have Spencer fuging Hawes aka Bill Walton in his prime, right now.

Let us worship at the altar of Cho.  Come children.  Lay down your first round picks for nba journeymen.  Leave your doubt behind.  Belinelli will lead us into a future of plentiful cap room and an abundance of corresponding moves to dig us out of the previous one made!  Hark!  Kevin Burleson and Cory Higgins are lamenting their praises upon this momentous move!

I think the logic that Belinelli has been on a handful of teams is the reason why we should be wary of him doesn't truly hold up. Especially considering a lot of people (myself included) prefer to have Lee back. He's not a hot commodity by any stretch but he does have a skill that will be useful in our scheme. It just isn't that simple of taking one player over the other when there's a salary cap involved.

My thought process on this trade is this:

• We weren't overly enamored with anyone that would have been in our range (granted we made the trade before the draft began)
  • We knew that it would be near impossible to re-sign Batum, Lin, Lee, Marvin, etc.
  • We figured that by trading for a shooter in Belinelli that we would be getting someone that fits a role on our team while also not breaking the bank. His $6 million salary is very friendly in today's cap situation (clearly lower than what we would be able to offer our FAs).
  • Belinelli is a proven player vs. the unknown production we would have received out of a weak draft. We could have lucked out but probably would have wound up with someone that needed time to develop. Not ideal when we are in position to compete for a playoff spot and will struggle to keep someone like a Lee. Get production now!

I understand why people are upset about this trade and have no issue with "speaking out" against the front office. I think some are just trying to play devil's advocate for why it may make sense. I try to stay level headed and not react right away in a shock acquisition. I think there's more dominos to come from this trade.

Archived