• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Belineli to charlotte

And spare me the Bellanelli is going to be better next year than whoever we draft at #22 logic...

Next year Marco will probably be better than the #3 overall pick Jaylon Brown or the #4 pick Dragon Bender, it doesn't mean you make that trade. 

A core of Kemba. Batum. MKG. Gets you between 3-6 in the east no matter how you slice it. adding Marco doesn't change that. Adding #22 probably won't either, unless it does, unless you hit on a Butler, Draymond, Ibaka, type, now we are competing for the top of the conference. You roll the dice or you run on the treadmill. 

It seems to me people are actually giving Cho a pass because ..." might as well trade for Bellinelli because he sucks at drafting anyway"... you dont settle for that. You fire him and get someone who knows what they're doing.

7 hours ago, emhoward said:

And spare me the Bellanelli is going to be better next year than whoever we draft at #22 logic...

Next year Marco will probably be better than the #3 overall pick Jaylon Brown or the #4 pick Dragon Bender, it doesn't mean you make that trade. 

A core of Kemba. Batum. MKG. Gets you between 3-6 in the east no matter how you slice it. adding Marco doesn't change that. Adding #22 probably won't either, unless it does, unless you hit on a Butler, Draymond, Ibaka, type, now we are competing for the top of the conference. You roll the dice or you run on the treadmill. 

It seems to me people are actually giving Cho a pass because ..." might as well trade for Bellinelli because he sucks at drafting anyway"... you dont settle for that. You fire him and get someone who knows what they're doing.

I think the difference is that the Hornets are in a win now mode. They won 48 games last year. A 2 coming off the bench who can (hopefully) shoot well from the 3 is going to do a lot more for them in the short term than drafting at 22. A lot more. 

It's really hard to judge the trade for anything more than it is until free agency begins. What Belinelli has going against him is the same thing it has going for him. We absorb a $6M per year player that's 30 years old for the next two seasons coming off a disappointing season in SAC. However, with the cap continuing to rise, Belinelli's contract becomes more and more like a deal for Charlotte. He's essentially a cheap contract going forward.

The contract value is going to be really hard to gauge until we see what certain players fetch on the open market when FA starts. Don't be surprised, with a weak free agency class and a huge salary cap, if guys like Lee and Lin get in the $10M per year range.

It's not a sexy trade. I'm not saying that Belinelli will be a more productive player than what Lee was and would have been for us, but I think it's just way too early in the offseason to fully judge the trade's value. Let's get through Week 1 of free agency first. 

I don't really care one way or another. This draft is pretty awful, none of the players there will be anything more than a role player (unless something shocking happens). Belineli will be really cheap compared to what people are going to get. Would've much preferred to keep Courtney Lee, but he's probably going to get a lot of money. The amount of outrage at this trade is hilarious on this forum, this was a 2 player draft.

13 hours ago, Proudiddy said:

why trade a first round pick for a historically inconsistent outside shooter for one year, when if thats what you really wanted, you could target one in the draft and have him for 4 years or so?

Just stupid...  i already had low expectations going in after the last few drafts, but this was an even worse move than I couldve imagined.  We traded a first rounder for a MLE guy who shafted us in FA last year for a dysfunctional Sacramento team.  I give up...

Historically inconsistent outside shooter

39%
39%
38%
41%
38%
36%
43%
37%
30%

Historically inconsistent

9 hours ago, emhoward said:

The whole "treadmill" statements are really overblown. If championship or bust is the only way to go then the Thunder with KD and Westbrook are a treadmill team.

13 hours ago, OldNorthPowell said:

One of the worst trades outside of the Kobe one in franchise history. A 30 year old bad shooter (going by last season) who is on the decline that plays no defense at all and is about as athletic as I am. We basically have another smaller version of him on the roster or did in Troy Daniels. We added cap space and basically told everyone we are okay with just competing to get into the playoffs or right outside of it at best. This was a BOBcat move and makes me rethink my article on swarmandsting.com about Jordan becoming a better owner. Could of drafted a player even at 22 who would be better than Marco RIGHT NOW! Sigh hard to root for this franchise and kind of makes me miss George Shinn (well not really) but I do miss his ability to hire great basketball minds when it comes to the draft (outside the Kobe trade lol). Oh well here's too another mediocre year where we might seriously miss the playoffs because of the moves other teams have made to get better.

Oh boy

1) Going by the season before last, Nic Batum was a bad player too. But we traded for him, you probably bitched, and then were wrong. Shocker

2) Added cap space. Replacing an $11-12 million/year player with $6 million/year player is a net loss in cap space

3) No one told you to write an article on swarmandsting.com, least of all someone who has a grip on sports

4) Name the player who is better than Belinelli right now and don't say Malachi Richardson unless you want to keep your streak alive

5) What great basketball minds did George Shinn hire?

6) Those great basketball minds had Zo and LJ and their solution was to let both go; Those great minds also drafted George Zidek and Kirk Haston near our pick last night

7) It's "Could have"

8) This team has a dearth of players under contract and in a rising cap year the uncertainty behind their roster necessitates a move that will increase their likelihood of having solid 3-point shooting in the rotation. Jeremy Lamb has underachieved and Lee costs too much for what he does. 

9) Sacramento averaged 7 less threes per game than Charlotte last season. The fact is their offense is different from ours. They don't value spacing, they focus on Boogie and they have an awful locker room atmosphere full of petulant players and executives who exacerbate the problems between coaches and players. Players succeed in different locations using different systems. This is how Tyson Chandler goes from 6 ppg in Charlotte to playing well enough to make an Olympic team

10) Log off

Archived