• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Carolina Panthers face tough decision...

Jeremy Igo

Just now, Hogmolliesmaht said:

I like CAP too, but he did worry me a little with those fumbles last season.

I remember a couple of those were miscommunications on the zone read with Cam so I think having more reps in training camp and during the season will help lower those numbers because he was very sure handed in college.

40 minutes ago, Hogmolliesmaht said:

This is my thinking as well. It's kind of rare to go through TC will all of your RB's 100% healthy. They could always use the PUP list to give them a chance to see a player for a while longer, while keeping another player they like.

The PUP list is not flexible.  It's ONLY for a player who comes to TC injured.  As soon as the player steps on the field for 1 practice they are ineligible for the PUP list.   Basically think of it as a short term IR for players recovering from injuries suffered in the previous season, coming off surgery, or injured during OTAs.  

If a player remains on the PUP list during all of training camp, they can be rolled over onto a special in-season PUP list (which does not count against the 53 man roster) at the beginning of the season for another 6 weeks.

A player injured in TC is NOT eligible for the PUP list.  You either have to waive them and THEN put them on IR (exposing them to being taken by another team during the 24 hour waiver period - think Gaffney in 2014), OR

You keep the injured player on your 90 man roster and wait until cuts to then safely move them to your IR  (think KB last season.... he stayed on our 90 player roster the whole time he was injured. only getting sent to the IR AFTER we'd cut down to 75 players, thus meaning he was not exposed to waivers.)  

Here's a brief overview of the PUP rules from Wikipedia

Physically unable to perform (PUP) is a designation used in the National Football League for players who suffer from football-related injuries during the preseason. Players on the PUP list may participate in team meetings, and take advantage of the training and medical facilities, but cannot practice with the team.

There are two separate PUP lists: a preseason PUP list and a regular-season PUP list.

Preseason PUP

A player who, as a result of football-related injuries, is unable to take part in training camp practices may be assigned to the preseason PUP list. Players can be moved off the PUP list to the active roster at any time, even after one practice. A player cannot be placed on the PUP list, however, once he has taken the field for a practice, even if only for a few minutes.

Regular-season PUP

A player who finishes the preseason still on the PUP list can then be placed on the regular-season PUP list. Such players must sit out the first six weeks of the regular season. At that point, teams have a five-week window in which to allow the player to begin practicing; from the day the player begins practicing, teams have an additional 21-day window in which to decide whether to activate the player to the 53-man roster. If either of those deadlines pass, the player must remain on the PUP list for the remainder of the season.[1]

4 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Fozzy is so well liked by the coaches and the entire team for his play but also in the locker room,  it would take a whole lot for him to be cut. 

liked or no .. replay the Super Bowl and see all the mistakes Fozzy made while Stewart was on the sideline with his ankle.

18 minutes ago, SJTG4 said:

Being liked by the coaches and locker rooms because of personality gets you a spot on the 2016 Panthers? I'm sorry is Hurney running the team?

I'd like to see Wegher get some first team burn just so that we know that we're not losing a better player. 

Fozzy is clearly a well liked guy or he would't of stuck this long. However I think Wegher and CAP really have more up side. If we were to roll with 5 receivers instead of the 6 I think it was we had last year would it allow us to carry both of them?

There is no difficult decision on Wegher. He makes the roster. He has perhaps the most potential of any back on the roster. The only difficult decision is to cut Fozzy, redshirt CAP, or cut a guy at another position. Stewart has a year or two left at most and we need the future guys to be here.

1 hour ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Then why is he still only a third string player in practice?

CAP was drafted and Fozzy won over the coaching staff. The reality is that Fozzy is a 3rd down back, CAP is already on the other side of 25, and Stewart is close to 30 and has bad feet. If we let Wegher go, he will become the next Arian Foster wherever he ends up. He is big, he is fast, he can catch, he can block, he plays special teams, and was arguably the best offensive player all last preseason. Once Wegher repeats his performance this training camp and preseason, they will run out of excuses to play him, and have no chance to keep him on the practice squad. Wegher would have went in the first 3 rounds if he had stayed at Iowa and not stumbled in his personal life. He is a legitimate NFL talent. 3 down back. This was even uttered by Gettleman and Rivera last year. Positions are fought for and won in camp. Not OTAs. But I know you know that

7 hours ago, Hogmolliesmaht said:

I like CAP too, but he did worry me a little with those fumbles last season. BTW, what is with the Fozzy hate? That guy has made some big plays for us and he's obviously a team player.

Do me a favor and tell me about all these fumbles.

There was one that he recovered.

Statistically, it's nil.

Archived