• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Charles Tillman "I just want to play for Carolina"

Jeremy Igo

This is what i wanted to hear.  I wont be surprised if we call him if the rooks struggle or we have injuries at cb.

When would he be fully recovered.  Does an acl normally take 9 months or a full year to be better?  I know he tore his in december.

For the record I think it is doubtful that the Panthers sign him. But after watching the secondary over the last few weeks I am not convinced the Panthers are set at corner. Not at all. Tillman would be an affordable option that knows the system. 

I doubt Tillman could be in playing shape before the middle of the season but if he were healthy there is no doubt he would be starting. I could see us bringing in another veteran and then adding Tillman later in the year if there are injuries or players struggle. I wonder how recovered he is at this point.

Bring in Tillman and Cromartie. We're going to need a lot of help at CB. I have a really bad feeling about the CB position this year like I did before the season began when Chandler and Bell were our starting tackles. The coaches tried selling them to us back then like they're trying to sell us these CBs now. It's just a disaster waiting to happen.

Peanut is a good dude but I don't want a washed-up, below average (at best) corner taking away valuable playing time from the rooks. The more reps they get earlier in the season the better come playoff time. Would love to have him as an assistant DB's coach or something, but it depends on how much he still wants to play.

I'm all for this, as anyone reading my comments about Peanut in recent months will know.  I predicted back in April that he'd reappear on our roster, and I still think it could happen.

I think the best scenario is for him to be placed on the PUP list at the start of training camp and carry over on the PUP list into the season until he's fully rehabbed from the knee injury.   If I understand that correctly, carrying him on the PUP list at the start of the season means he wouldn't be taking a roster spot until we reactivate him.   It would mean he couldn't practice with the guys, but he could be on the sidelines, and then if we need / want him active late in the season, we could activate him to help with our playoff run.

Here's my question though:  to do that, when would we need to sign him?  I assume it would need to be BEFORE training camp - i.e. that in the pre-camp physical he would be declared physically unable and thus get put on the PUP list.

Can anyone who knows better than I how the PUP rules work clarify how signing Peanut and stashing him on the PUP without taking up a roster spot might work?  Thanks in advance.

It's Wikipedia, so I can't swear for its accuracy... but here's a quick summary of PUP list rules:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physically_unable_to_perform

Preseason PUP

A player who, as a result of football-related injuries, is unable to take part in training camp practices may be assigned to the preseason PUP list. Players can be moved off the PUP list to the active roster at any time, even after one practice. A player cannot be placed on the PUP list, however, once he has taken the field for a practice, even if only for a few minutes.

Regular-season PUP

A player who finishes the preseason still on the PUP list can then be placed on the regular-season PUP list. Such players must sit out the first six weeks of the regular season. At that point, teams have a five-week window in which to allow the player to begin practicing; from the day the player begins practicing, teams have an additional 21-day window in which to decide whether to activate the player to the 53-man roster. If either of those deadlines pass, the player must remain on the PUP list for the remainder of the season.[1]

So, by my reading, if we wanted to stash Tillman on the PUP we'd need to sign him before Camp starts, I believe.

27 minutes ago, KillerKat said:

Bring in Tillman and Cromartie. We're going to need a lot of help at CB. I have a really bad feeling about the CB position this year like I did before the season began when Chandler and Bell were our starting tackles. The coaches tried selling them to us back then like they're trying to sell us these CBs now. It's just a disaster waiting to happen.

Neither of which were drafted, much less taken on day 2.  Ride or die with our young guys I say.  Sanchez, Gabbert, and Bridgewater provide an ideal noodle-armed soup as an appetizer.

Archived