• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Play of the Day...

Jeremy Igo

On 6/14/2016 at 9:52 PM, Hammerin'Cameron34 said:

Yawn .. how many times does it have to be said .. 6 WR

KB, Funch, Brown, Ginn, Hill, Byrd

I would not be surprised by this. I think Bersin is going to end up on IR. Garrett will be on the PS, and those 6 will be your WR for the season. Byrd and probably hill would be inactive most games, probably.

5 minutes ago, sharkkiller said:

I think Bersin is going to end up on IR

If you're implying a "mystery injury" and a place to stash him, I don't think so.

The greatest value of Bersin to the team, in my opinion, is as backup and depth should one of the other receivers get hurt.  He is plug and play in this offense, and Cam trusts him.  We saw that when Cotch got injured and Bers got called up off the PS.   If he is on the IR, the whole point of keeping him is lost.

IF Bersin can be put on the PS again, that could very well happen...  or perhaps he might eke out a spot on the roster to play ST.  Just hope it's not returning punts.

19 minutes ago, Hammerin'Cameron34 said:

Bersin pretty much has a lifetime contract with Carolina ... he isn't worth a bucket of water to any other team . We can cut him and resign him as much as we want, when we cut him it's not like we have to worry with Bersin some other team is going to scoop him up . If he gets cut he will patiently wait until the Panthers need him again

I wouldn't mind at all if this is true.   I like the idea of having him on speed dial as a permanent emergency receiver.  JR make it happen!

1 hour ago, KB_fan said:

If you're implying a "mystery injury" and a place to stash him, I don't think so.

The greatest value of Bersin to the team, in my opinion, is as backup and depth should one of the other receivers get hurt.  He is plug and play in this offense, and Cam trusts him.  We saw that when Cotch got injured and Bers got called up off the PS.   If he is on the IR, the whole point of keeping him is lost.

IF Bersin can be put on the PS again, that could very well happen...  or perhaps he might eke out a spot on the roster to play ST.  Just hope it's not returning punts.

Remember that he went down earlier this week. On the first day of camp, I believe. If Byrd and Hill continue to impress, that may be the opening to IR him, and keep him for when Ginn is gone, opening up a roster spot. Just spitballing,

20 minutes ago, sharkkiller said:

Remember that he went down earlier this week. On the first day of camp, I believe. If Byrd and Hill continue to impress, that may be the opening to IR him, and keep him for when Ginn is gone, opening up a roster spot. Just spitballing,

Yes, but I don't think that was a serious injury.  He's expected to be fine in a few weeks, well in time for Training Camp.

Bersin is not the replacement for Ginn.  They are different players.  Bersin is not fast.  He's a possession receiver.  Thus it doesn't make sense to stash Bersin and then add him to the roster when Ginn is gone.   The players more likely to replace Ginn are speedy guys like Byrd or Hill or some of the other fast guys we've got on the roster at the moment.

2 hours ago, KB_fan said:

Yes, but I don't think that was a serious injury.  He's expected to be fine in a few weeks, well in time for Training Camp.

Bersin is not the replacement for Ginn.  They are different players.  Bersin is not fast.  He's a possession receiver.  Thus it doesn't make sense to stash Bersin and then add him to the roster when Ginn is gone.   The players more likely to replace Ginn are speedy guys like Byrd or Hill or some of the other fast guys we've got on the roster at the moment.

I know this, Byrd would be the Ginn replacement, Bersin will take the roster spot. Not replace his type of play. That is what I meant. It is not a serious injury, but when you have a guy you like, and a glut of talent, placing him on IR to ensure that he is around for next year does make sense, even if the injury was relatively minor. DG has done it in the past multiple times. And with the ability to place more than one player on IR designated to return, it could make even more sense. 

57 minutes ago, sharkkiller said:

And with the ability to place more than one player on IR designated to return, it could make even more sense.

This is news to me if true.  What I read was that teams no longer have to designate a specific player as designated to return.  They still get to only bring back one player, but it can be any player on the IR who's been out for something like 6 or 8 weeks. (I forget the exact length of time).  [So for instance, say KB's injury was not season-ending and he was still on the IR but healthy enough to play last November when we were ready to bring back CJ.  We could have chosen which one to bring back, but only one of them.]

Can someone else confirm?

And while I'm asking for confirmation of rules, a question:  does anyone know if the special rules exception allowing 10 PS players instead of 8 has been renewed?  I recently read that the PS rules change was only a 2 year trial and is now over.  But I'm not sure.  I really hope we'll still be allowed 10 PS players!!!

2 minutes ago, KB_fan said:

This is news to me if true.  What I read was that teams no longer have to designate a player as designated to return.  They still get to only bring back one player, but it can be any player on the IR who's been out for something like 6 or 8 weeks. (I forget the exact length of time).

Can someone else confirm?

And while I'm at it, a question:  does anyone know if the special rules exception allowing 10 PS players instead of 8 has been renewed?  I recently read that the PS rules change was only a 2 year trial and is now over.  But I'm not sure.  I really hope we'll still be allowed 10 PS players!!!

It looks like I may have been mistaken. My fault. Still one, just no designated to return stipulation.My bad.

Archived