• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Carolina Panthers MiniCamp Thread - Day 1

Jeremy Igo

J Jones is the first I've seen anywhere to document some of the "mistakes" today that Ron was so upset about:

But the mistakes came on both sides of the field. A false start in offensive line drills, a neutral zone infraction by the defense on a Cam Newton hardcount, a fumble on a sweep and more all came Tuesday.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nfl/carolina-panthers/nfl-blog/article83702672.html

Cam has been tricking the defense with his hard count almost every practice - at least every practice open to the media from what we've been hearing.

Now Cam's hard count has become one of his real strengths... so it's good our guys get to practice against him.  But clearly this is an area where our guys are currently needing improvement.

Jeremy any news on who fumbled, and other mistakes you saw?

3 hours ago, KB_fan said:

Hawkins has been getting reps at LT and Ron seems encouraged by his progress.

After bouncing around practice squads on 5 teams in two years, if Hawkins makes the roster it either says a lot about our coaching, or not much about our tackles.

21 minutes ago, caatfan said:

After bouncing around practice squads on 5 teams in two years, if Hawkins makes the roster it either says a lot about our coaching, or not much about our tackles.

Probably a combination of both, but the truth is we're very very thin at LT.   (At the moment I think Foucault is highest on the depth chart behind Oher.  He's been riding the exercise bike lately due to a calf injury.)  In reality we'd probably slide Remmers over and put Daryl Williams at RT should Oher be unable to play.  In fact Remmers was getting snaps at LT today...

But then the question is with one of the tackles (e,g, Oher) out and the other two (Remmers & Williams) playing, who becomes our backup?  That's the question I haven't seen us have an answer to on the roster at the moment.  Hopefully one of the guys among Foucault, Hawkins, Yankey steps up and proves they can play.

Last year we only carried 3 tackles on the roster for 17 of the 19 games.  (Chandler was on the roster 1 game; Foucault was on the roster 1 game).  We also carried only 3 guards for a full half of the season (our final 9 games), with Chris Scott the sole backup once Amini got sent to IR.  (Of course there were also Williams & Velasco)

Thankfully we didn't get bitten by our decision to carry only 8 Oline guys on the roster for more than half the season.  It certainly helps hugely with roster management when guys can be competent backups at more than one position, but we were very fortunate with few injuries to our Oline starters.. 

Here's a review of what our Oline looked like week by week last season.

Oline_wkbywk.png

[Y means a player was active for gameday.  INJ means the player was on the roster but inactive due to injury.  I means on the roster but inactive (healthy scratch) for game day.  IR is Injured Reserve.  PS is Practice Squad.  X means the player was not on the team in a given week.]  (Players on the practice squad who never made the 53 man roster at any point in the season are not shown)

I'm REALLY hoping we'll have 9 Oline guys on the roster this season.   At the moment the question of who would be #9 is a HUGE mystery.

Jones & Person have their article up at the Observer with some observations.  Here are a few that I haven't seen already mentioned:

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nfl/carolina-panthers/article83701677.html

Good news about J Stew running well and not seeming bothered by his foot.

▪  Running back Jonathan Stewart, who was limited last week by a foot injury, was heavily involved in the early portions of team drills Tuesday and looked good running and cutting.

▪  Defensive end Kony Ealy got a hand on an option pitch from Cam Newton to receiver Brenton Bersin, who was still able to bring in the deflected pitch and get short yardage down the sideline.

▪  Reserve safety Trenton Robinson appeared to intercept third-team quarterback Joe Webb late in the 11-on-11 drills. But tight end Greg Olsen, watching from the sideline, claimed Robinson trapped it. While defenders celebrated, Olsen yelled: “Go have a parade for a pass breakup. It’s the NFL, the ball can’t move.”

▪  Offensive tackle David Foucault is dealing with a calf injury and will not participate in this week’s minicamp. He rode the exercise bike Tuesday.

▪  Tight end Ed Dickson dropped a short out pass from Newton with Kurt Coleman near him.

▪  Receiver Kevin Norwood made a nice catch over the middle, going up for a hot pass from Newton.

1 hour ago, Kuechly59 said:

So a physical press zone rookie corner gets beat in shorts by a guy that runs a legit 4.3? You understand that these are no contact in a real game his speed would require bumping at the line...

Yes.  The defense is at a disadvantage all the way to preseason due to the lack of contact allowed.   Its basically back yard ball right now.

1 hour ago, Kuechly59 said:

So a physical press zone rookie corner gets beat in shorts by a guy that runs a legit 4.3? You understand that these are no contact in a real game his speed would require bumping at the line...

i just copied what some misguided guy on another page was getting pasted for because i thought it would be funny

Archived