• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Devin Funchess

Jeremy Igo

15 hours ago, Chief Keek said:

I gotta feeling that KB may be playing second fiddle to Funch this season.

Should  be interesting to watch. Although Funchess maybe a little more athletic, KB is a towering monster of a WR. He is the definition of throw  it up and he'll catch it.

Someone here actually said we have the worst receivers in the league the other day. I'm not foolish enough to think they are a top unit but the worst? Absurdity.

I would go as far to say they are the top unit if you factor all 5 or 6 Wrs...unfortunately the top 2 or 3 is all that matter on game day

5 hours ago, JustLurking said:

I would go as far to say they are the top unit if you factor all 5 or 6 Wrs...unfortunately the top 2 or 3 is all that matter on game day

LOL! No. 

We don't have the worst WR unit in the NFL, but we're probably closer to the bottom than the top on paper.  KB was a 1000 yard rookie, but he's coming off of missing a season with a torn ACL. We sure hope he bounces back to form, but even though the odds are a lot better now than they used to be coming back from an ACL is still a bit of a crap shoot. Funchess is really raw but had a fairly promising rookie season. Reports from this offseason sound good and we all hope he takes a big step forward, but he's still largely unproven. Ginn works in our offense, but his performance everywhere else he's been prove that he's a system player for us. He hasn't been able to have anywhere near that success elsewhere. Everyone else on our roster would be battling for a roster spot on teams with good WR corps. Hell, you could say the same for Ginn. He's been relegated to a nearly pure special teaser elsewhere. 

LOL! No. 

We don't have the worst WR unit in the NFL, but we're probably closer to the bottom than the top on paper.  KB was a 1000 yard rookie, but he's coming off of missing a season with a torn ACL. We sure hope he bounces back to form, but even though the odds are a lot better now than they used to be coming back from an ACL is still a bit of a crap shoot. Funchess is really raw but had a fairly promising rookie season. Reports from this offseason sound good and we all hope he takes a big step forward, but he's still largely unproven. Ginn works in our offense, but his performance everywhere else he's been prove that he's a system player for us. He hasn't been able to have anywhere near that success elsewhere. Everyone else on our roster would be battling for a roster spot on teams with good WR corps. Hell, you could say the same for Ginn. He's been relegated to a nearly pure special teaser elsewhere. 

well see........berbeerp  *peels out with curlers in hair*

15 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

well see........berbeerp  *peels out with curlers in hair*

I hope you're right.  If KB comes back strong and Funchess takes a big step forward, you very well could be.  Ginn isn't a good WR outside of our system, but we know what he is for us.  We rarely go more than three deep at WR anyway since Olsen doesn't come off the field (for good reason) and we rarely go five wide.  IMO, that's the big reason why we didn't put a major emphasis on upgrading WR this offseason.  Our scouting showed that we certainly considered it, but I think that we were very comfortable going into the season with KB/Funch/Ginn and figured we'd have enough competition behind them to round out the roster.  Probably a good bet.

@Jeremy Igo, at some point this summer, I was going to broach the subject of Funchess possibly having the greater impact than Benjamin, but I was going to wait for more evidence. I am sure it would not have been so well received. Funchess must have really made an impression upon you to even mention that possibility this early in the game.

I know you're not making a guarantee, but between your more intimate knowledge of the two receivers, the system, and experience with seeing the players develop, I am going to fuse your knowledge with my own impression---and gut feeling---to go out on my own limb and say that Funchess has the greatest upside. 

I can see a day, off in the distance, where the Panthers are going to have to make a choice, assuming that someone isn't going to want to "play ball." I can see an uptick in traffic for the Huddle, amid a lot of contentionsiousness and pretentiousness. Hopefully the team culture and environment will be enough to keep both our receivers happy. If Garrett is still around, he could play a bigger part in this than anyone would believe today. Yes, I am rambling and extrapolating, but I am just saying. 

Funchess will have a breakout season as your article states! And Benji will continue to raise his play on the field. I have a feeling that our passing offense will move up in the rankings this year with our run game sliding slightly.

On 6/5/2016 at 5:43 PM, Chief Keek said:

I gotta feeling that KB may be playing second fiddle to Funch this season.

Nah they both have their strengths. Might see Funchess have more yards but I'd put money down Benjamin has more TDs.

Here are some fun FUNCHESS stats courtesy of an interesting statistical round up re: Panthers' offense at C-S-R:

http://www.derp/2016/6/7/11873248/10-totally-biased-pro-panthers-offensive-stats

#4) Devin Funchess – 30-400-5. Devin Funchess was one of only three rookies in 2015 to amass at least 30 receptions with 400-plus yards and five touchdowns, joining Amari Cooper and Tyler Lockett. This is pretty impressive for Carolina’s second round pick considering he was brought along slowly before emerging in the second half of the season, including...

#5) Devin Funchess – 7-120-1. Funchess had the single best game among all rookie wide receivers in 2015 when he put up 7 receptions, 120 yards, and one touchdown against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in Week 17. No other rookie wide receiver had a 7-120-1 game last season, giving Funchess the most dominant single game performance among all first-year wideouts.

Archived