• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Progress Report for Panthers Receivers

Jeremy Igo

3 hours ago, juliosantos said:

he had geno and sanchez as his qbs , guy was thrown into the fire early on and they didn't use him for his deep threat talent .

I understand he didn't have the best QBs or coaching but look how long it took for him to look decent here. The problem wasn't chances but drive and motivation to be great. Those are things he learned here after being cut and when few folks willing to pick him up. He humbled himself and worked hard and when he got hurt he didn't feel sorry for himself and redoubled his effort.

Here is what folks said in 2014 before he was cut

http://www.ganggreennation.com/2014/8/29/6082073/is-stephen-hills-attitude-lack-of-desire-a-problem.

That is why I said he had chances.

53 minutes ago, top dawg said:

@panthers55, has Hill really has a legitimate chance? He came out of college with a huge learning curve, but was forced into a starting role despite his deficiencies, but also the Jets' all-encompassing clusterfug as well.

Now that he has had time to learn and refine his skills, he gets a real chance. Most importantly, he does not have to be the receiver that opposing defenses can focus on---and not even the number two---but one receiver in a group that can exploit the situation because of not being the defense's primary focus. In theory, Hill could flourish in this type of system.

The problem then was he didn't work to improve and took being a starter for granted. After being cut and having to play on our practice squad he had a reality test and is now working very hard to make the roster. He is improving not just because of our coaching but because he now realizes that this is a do over and he is working like never before. His work effort is reported to be very good by Proehl and those around him. Compare that to the article I linked in an earlier post.

7 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

The problem then was he didn't work to improve and took being a starter for granted. After being cut and having to play on our practice squad he had a reality test and is now working very hard to make the roster. He is improving not just because of our coaching but because he now realizes that this is a do over and he is working like never before. His work effort is reported to be very good by Proehl and those around him. Compare that to the article I linked in an earlier post.

This probably has so much more to do with the improvement we're seeing, than anything else.  Good coaches help, no doubt, but that kind of attitude isn't surprising to see out of some of these freakishly athletic kids, coming out of college.  It's so easy for them to coast on that ability throughout HS/college, and they come into the league thinking they can just keep doing what they've been doing.  Problem is, everyone in the NFL is basically a super athlete.  Cam, for example, could have been in the same situation.  A freak athlete that always looked like a man among boys, but his focus was on being the best, not just being present, and satisfied.  So, yeah, I completely agree with you.  Hill got a pretty big wake-up call, and realized he had to make a change.  That, along with having really good coaches, can turn a bust, into a must.

12 hours ago, shaqattaq said:

D. Byrd, Garrett, and Norwood (as I understand the rules) are all still PS eligible. 

Don't believe Norwood does unless they continue to have the two exception spots for players with no more than two seasons of experience. Even though he didn't play much, he still accrued a second season by being over the active roster, which makes him ineligible without the exception. The exception was part of a two year test, and I haven't seen anything about whether it was extended or not.

Of our 14 receivers; Damiere, Garrett, Capers, Shuler, and I'm assuming Palmer and Hamilton (as long as they haven't been active for six games) would be eligible by traditional means.

Most of our guys would be eligible via the exception: Benjamin, Funchess, Philly, Bersin, Norwood, and LaRon.

Really the only two completely ineligible would be Ginn and Hill. Of course we used the exception on Hill two years ago, and he hasn't played since. However, IR counts as an accrued season, which puts him over.

My guess right now...

On roster: Benjamin, Funchess, Ginn, Brown, Hill, Norwood (mainly because they have a 2017 pick invested in him).

Practice Squad: D. Byrd and Garrett

Cut: Bersin :-( Hamilton, Shuler, Capers, Palmer, L. Byrd

I do think all the smaller, quicker receivers are an interesting piece to this. I don't think any of them have a shot this year; but if one of Byrd, Shuler, Capers, or Palmer shows promise as a speed threat and returner I could see one making it next year after Ginn expires.

I get that Hill is looking good and there's a push to hype him, but I have to remain hesitant.  Not closing the door...I'm rooting for him. 

We really have a nicely rounded crew though.  Between KB, Funchess, Ginn, & Brown, we're good to go IMO and have a great, diverse, range of guys. 

15 hours ago, jayflip said:

Remember when we cut Smitty and only had King McNutt on the roster?

This is what an actual GM creates in a short timespan. 

You do realize the Panthers have one of the worst receiving corps in the NFL even when you include Benjamin?

Polian put together Muhammad, Carrier, Green, and Ismail in his second year.

Seifert put together Muhammad, Jeffers, Hayes, and Metcalf in his first year.

Hurney put together Smith, Muhammad, Proehl, and Dyson in his second year.

Gettleman currently has Benjamin, Funchess, Ginn, and Brown in his fourth year. We are still waiting to see a reliable receiving corps under Gettleman. Hopefully, this is the year the receivers come together as a unit and Cam does not have to carry them.

6 hours ago, jdpanther5 said:

but if one of Byrd, Shuler, Capers, or Palmer shows promise as a speed threat and returner I could see one making it next year after Ginn expires

Poor Ted!  A Panther fan wishing his death!  LOL  :-)

8 hours ago, CPantherKing said:

You do realize the Panthers have one of the worst receiving corps in the NFL even when you include Benjamin?

Polian put together Muhammad, Carrier, Green, and Ismail in his second year.

Seifert put together Muhammad, Jeffers, Hayes, and Metcalf in his first year.

Hurney put together Smith, Muhammad, Proehl, and Dyson in his second year.

Gettleman currently has Benjamin, Funchess, Ginn, and Brown in his fourth year. We are still waiting to see a reliable receiving corps under Gettleman. Hopefully, this is the year the receivers come together as a unit and Cam does not have to carry them.

That's the thing though. Because we have Cam we are able to have a better team as a whole. Instead of shelling out money to WRs. You also should basically include Olsen as a WR with the targets he gets. Benjamin, Funchess and Olsen may very well be the best set of weapons the franchise has seen in a while. And could certainly the best Cam has had. We just have to see.

Then you have Ginn and Brown of whom I think it is fair to say are good players. Maybe this group isn't the best skill wise in team history. But I think this group can do what they do better(and especially for this team and Cam) than past rosters. We have  4-5 pass catchers that are 6-4+. That's  not something we've  ever seen before.

I'm most excited about Funchess. When I saw photos of him hanging around the rookie camp, I knew he was ready to take off. 

I have been very critical of our receivers the past 2-3 years. I think they're ready to be a strength now

Archived