• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Night and Day

Jeremy Igo

4 minutes ago, pantherphan96 said:

1. KB

2. Funch

3. Ginn

4. Philly

5. Hill

PS- Garrett

I'm not on the hating Bersin hype train but if he gets cut I doubt any other team would offer him a spot.

Garrett won't make it to the practice squad. Mysterious IR

Just now, Promethean Forerunner said:

Ginn won't be replaced this offseason but I could see it happening next year.

Hill and Ginn are going to make a deadly duo with all of the attention focused on Benjamin, Funchess and Olsen.

Yeah I didn't mean this year. More like they're grooming him as ginns replacement.

1. KB

2. Funch

3. Ginn

4. Philly

5. Hill

PS- Garrett

I'm not on the hating Bersin hype train but if he gets cut I doubt any other team would offer him a spot.

i agree with all of this if Hill has indeed changed his evil ways. Also, I think that Norwood is still PS eligible and the coaches have watched him since college. He MUST have something to offer. I'm going to miss Bersin.

16 minutes ago, shaqattaq said:

i agree with all of this if Hill has indeed changed his evil ways. Also, I think that Norwood is still PS eligible and the coaches have watched him since college. He MUST have something to offer. I'm going to miss Bersin.

thats my list assuming Hill can actually catch the ball in games and not just practice. I'm interested to see what Norwood can do in the preseason. 

It seems as if some posters act like Hill has never played in a game or is like a rookie.  He can catch the ball in a game and did with the Jets.  He started 19 games with the Jets and caught a total of 45 balls for 594 yards and 4 TDs in 2012 and 2013.  Sure not great totals which is why they let him go but people here talk about him as if he has never started a game ever............  

5 hours ago, PhillyB said:

who does he beat out?

I'm not sure we have a clear favorite for WR #5 at this point.  If we assume that KB / Funch / Ginn & Brown are the top 4, I could see Hill winning #5 with his combination of size and speed as long as he can run decent routes and he can now catch reliably.  Especially if he can be groomed / shows any talent as a PR... then we have someone with elite speed who can possibly replace Ginn if this is his last year with the team.

If Hill does become WR #5, he would be beating out Norwood & Bersin, both of whom were on the 53 last season, but generally inactive.  One of the Panthers.com writers recently wrote that Bersin could still be PS-eligible (I suppose under one of the exceptions).  Honestly I could see that.  Bersin makes a GREAT emergency WR for us to call up if someone is injured since he knows the offense so well and has good rapport with Cam.  So really, that just leaves Norwood.  If Hill is as improved as it seems so far based on limited observation, I'd guess the WR #5 battle is between him & Norwood.

Yes, there are a lot of exciting young prospects (D. Byrd, Key Garrett, but right now I'm assuming these guys are behind Hill & Norwood in terms of likelihood to make the roster.)

If however you're talking about PLAYING TIME and being active for games, and not just making the 53, the question about who does he beat out becomes a very real question as I can't see us dressing more than 4 wideouts per game.  Now, if Hill becomes a factor on special teams, then he could be competing with Joe Webb perhaps as our 5th wideout.  Otherwise, Hill might see limited time unless one of the other WRs is injured, or PERHAPS he could split time with Philly.  I'm feeling a bit uncertain that Philly will be in top form early in the season due to his shoulder surgery limiting his practice and preparation...

3 minutes ago, KB_fan said:

I'm not sure we have a clear favorite for WR #5 at this point.  If we assume that KB / Funch / Ginn & Brown are the top 4, I could see Hill winning #5 with his combination of size and speed as long as he can run decent routes and he can now catch reliably.  Especially if he can be groomed / shows any talent as a PR... then we have someone with elite speed who can possibly replace Ginn if this is his last year with the team.

If Hill does become WR #5, he would be beating out Norwood & Bersin, both of whom were on the 53 last season, but generally inactive.  One of the Panthers.com writers recently wrote that Bersin could still be PS-eligible (I suppose under one of the exceptions).  Honestly I could see that.  Bersin makes a GREAT emergency WR for us to call up if someone is injured since he knows the offense so well and has good rapport with Cam.  So really, that just leaves Norwood.  If Hill is as improved as it seems so far based on limited observation, I'd guess the WR #5 battle is between him & Norwood.

Yes, there are a lot of exciting young prospects (D. Byrd, Key Garrett, but right now I'm assuming these guys are behind Hill & Norwood in terms of likelihood to make the roster.)

If however you're talking about PLAYING TIME and being active for games, and not just making the 53, the question about who does he beat out becomes a very real question as I can't see us dressing more than 4 wideouts per game.  Now, if Hill becomes a factor on special teams, then he could be competing with Joe Webb perhaps as our 5th wideout.  Otherwise, Hill might see limited time unless one of the other WRs is injured, or PERHAPS he could split time with Philly.  I'm feeling a bit uncertain that Philly will be in top form early in the season due to his shoulder surgery limiting his practice and preparation...

Maybe he plays really well this pre-season and he makes the 53. I think you're right that, barring injury, he gets no on the field time. Now bare with me for this part...him getting no playing time would be good for us cap wise. I believe his deal is up this year and he would need to be resigned next off-season. If he made the team but really never played or was even activated, we can sign him for cheap knowing he will replace Ginn next year. We would even probably resign him before releasing Ginn so his agent would have no firepower to try and raise the price.

Anyways, IF Hill looks really good but not quite good enough to crack into playing time as a WR then we could wrap him up for several years for pretty cheap next year and be set with KB, Funch, Hill as the WR core. And the bottom of the roster will churn again next year. But that's still a pretty big IF at this point. Just a thought though.

Maybe he plays really well this pre-season and he makes the 53. I think you're right that, barring injury, he gets no on the field time. Now bare with me for this part...him getting no playing time would be good for us cap wise. I believe his deal is up this year and he would need to be resigned next off-season. If he made the team but really never played or was even activated, we can sign him for cheap knowing he will replace Ginn next year. We would even probably resign him before releasing Ginn so his agent would have no firepower to try and raise the price.

Anyways, IF Hill looks really good but not quite good enough to crack into playing time as a WR then we could wrap him up for several years for pretty cheap next year and be set with KB, Funch, Hill as the WR core. And the bottom of the roster will churn again next year. But that's still a pretty big IF at this point. Just a thought though.

I hope we don't play these types of games. I'd rather our best 53 make the team based on preseason performance. I hope we dont railroad somebody's career with this underhanded tactic in order to shortchange him on his next contract. 

Just now, PoundCat said:

I hope we don't play these types of games. I'd rather our best 53 make the team based on preseason performance. I hope we dont railroad somebody's career with this underhanded tactic in order to shortchange him on his next contract. 

No you missed the point. It's not a game, he's not good enough to crack the field for playing time but next year, once Ginn is gone, he would...BUT...we wouldn't have to pay as much because when Ginn was here Hill wasn't playing. At least that's the point I was trying to make about the hypothetical situation. Maybe I just didn't explain it well. That's likely.

No you missed the point. It's not a game, he's not good enough to crack the field for playing time but next year, once Ginn is gone, he would...BUT...we wouldn't have to pay as much because when Ginn was here Hill wasn't playing. At least that's the point I was trying to make about the hypothetical situation. Maybe I just didn't explain it well. That's likely.

When you said "...him getting no playing time would be good for us cap wise", I thought you were implying that we would intentionally hold back his playing time to improve our negotiating position. You didn't actually imply that so the misunderstanding is on my part. My bad.

Archived