• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Carolina Panthers OTA thread - May 24

Jeremy Igo

51 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

He is not. 

But we need clarification. What's the word on the street? What's the real skinny? We need answers! Is he or isn't he? Why can't we get a straight answer on this?

...oh wait...nevermind.

BBR's write up of OTA's Day 1 is here:

http://blackandbluereview.com/panthers-1st-offseason-practice-session-2016/

Here's who was taking snaps with the 1st team:

FIRST-TEAM OFFENSE

QB — Cam Newton, RB — Jonathan Stewart, FB — Mike Tolbert,
WR — Devin Funchess, WR — Ted Ginn Jr., TE — Greg Olsen,
LT — Michael Oher, LG — Andrew Norwell, C — Ryan Kalil,
RG — Trai Turner, RT — Mike Remmers

Notable: The WR rotation also included Philly Brown, Brenton Bersin, Damiere Byrd and Stephen Hill; as the Panthers promised, Remmers is still a starter.

FIRST-TEAM DEFENSE

DE — Charles Johnson, DT — Star Lotulelei, DT — Kawann Short,
DE — Kony Ealy,  SLB — Thomas Davis, MLB — A.J. Klein,
SLB — Shaq Thompson, CB — James Bradberry,
CB — Robert McClain, SS — Tre Boston, FS — Kurt Coleman

Notable: With Bené Benwikere limited (leg), the CB rotation is still very much a work in progress; Daryl Worley and Lou Young also saw snaps with the first-team defense; this practice didn't feature a nickel corner much in team drills, but when it did, Zack Sanchez was backed up by McClain.

3 hours ago, nctarheel0619 said:

Well, you're the one that said remember last year?  

And that got me upset.  We went from having promise and hope to literally shitting the bed when it mattered.  :(

Easy my huddle mate.  You having a bad day?  Take two breaths, drink 12 beers, down a single malt scotch and take a nap.  You'll feel better.

3 hours ago, nctarheel0619 said:

Yeah, I wanted a Super Bowl ring.  You really don't win anything if you don't win a Super Bowl.

You can be happy with second place if you want.  Sounds like you're a good loser, like Cam Newton described.  

Cam and his teammates work there asses off to be in shape to take a pounding all year long, so any lingering disappointment for them is totally understandable.

Less understandable is the attitude of fans  sitting in their la-z-boys slurping down their PBRs that have ZERO appreciation for what the team actually did achieve.

Ron's preaching a good message to the guys.  And he's not gonna let Cam get a big head about winning league MVP...

Here's the link, and an excerpt:

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nfl/carolina-panthers/nfl-blog/article79551997.html

“I want to make sure we understand the sense of urgency,” Rivera said. “I don’t want to be out here saying, ‘Oh we’ll pick it up when it’s time.’ The message out here is you don’t start from where you finish, you start from the beginning. That’s what we’re doing. We’re starting from the beginning and we’re going to work our way up.”

Rivera said there was plenty he liked during the first OTA session, but there was also plenty the defending NFC champs need to work on.

The coach wasn’t exactly calling out quarterback Cam Newton, but it was apparent that Newton didn’t pick up where he left off in his MVP-winning season.

“He was rusty. He threw some really good balls, made some good decisions but at the same time he threw some bad balls and his decisions, a couple of them were a little bit late,” Rivera said. “He’s rusty and everybody’s going to be rusty. (Derek Anderson) was, Joe Webb was. As a unit they’re coming along very nicely.”

Newton made plenty of on-point throws, but his most glaring error came during a 9-on-9 session. Newton looked to his left and tried to locate Brenton Bersin, but the quarterback was late on the throw and was easily intercepted by linebacker Shaq Thompson.

“I’m not putting anybody on blast,” Rivera said. “I’m just challenging him that he can become a better football player.”

Archived