• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Shaq Thompson Involved In Head on Collision

1 hour ago, Paa Langfart said:

Wondering more and more about this kids level of immaturity and whether he is going to make it with us long term. 

Not being a jerk just asking because I don't know, what are some other examples of his immaturity?

2 minutes ago, The Lobo said:

Not being a jerk just asking because I don't know, what are some other examples of his immaturity?

He's probably referring to the snapchat thing last season where he said "fug the seahawks and the 12th man and keep pounding, bitches..." or something to that effect. 

According to a State Highway Patrol official, Thompson was traveling south on Potter Road near Weddington at 7:45 a.m. Sunday and driving left of center. Thompson told troopers he dropped his phone on the floor board of his 2016 Chevrolet SUV and reached down to pick it up, causing him to cross the center line.

Boone, driving a 2004 Lexus SUV, swerved left to avoid Thompson. But Thompson pulled back toward the right and the two collided head-on, according to the incident report.

Alcohol was involved but was not deemed a factor in the accident. Miller said a breathalyzer test showed Thompson had alcohol in his system, but “was well below the legal limit” of .08. Miller would not specify what Thompson’s blood-alcohol level was but said Thompson also passed field sobriety tests.

“He had some residual left over from the night before, but nothing where it was impairing or anything like that,” Miller said.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nfl/carolina-panthers/article79304377.html

Observer now has an article up with a little more detail:

According to a State Highway Patrol official, Thompson was traveling south on Potter Road near Weddington at 7:45 a.m. Sunday and driving left of center. Thompson told troopers he dropped his phone on the floor board of his 2016 Chevrolet SUV and reached down to pick it up, causing him to cross the center line.

Boone, driving a 2004 Lexus SUV, swerved left to avoid Thompson. But Thompson pulled back toward the right and the two collided head-on, according to the incident report.

Boone is hospitalized with hand and hip injuries, according to Sgt. Ben Miller of the State Highway’s Union County division. He said Boone was not wearing a seat belt.

Miller said Thompson, who was wearing a seat belt, also sustained injuries but declined treatment.

Thompson was cited for driving left of center but not arrested.

Alcohol was involved but was not deemed a factor in the accident. Miller said a breathalyzer test showed Thompson had alcohol in his system, but “was well below the legal limit” of .08. Miller would not specify what Thompson’s blood-alcohol level was but said Thompson also passed field sobriety tests.

“He had some residual left over from the night before, but nothing where it was impairing or anything like that,” Miller said.

Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nfl/carolina-panthers/article79304377.html#storylink=cpy

11 minutes ago, PanthersBigD said:

He's probably referring to the snapchat thing last season where he said "fug the seahawks and the 12th man and keep pounding, bitches..." or something to that effect. 

Yeah I figured it was that, but that's not immature. All his interviews and scouting stuff show he's a good kid. I don't think he's immature at all. That Seahawks thing was awesome. Shaq will learn from this. He is going to be a huge part of this D this year.

So, Shaq made two seemingly good and wise decisions:

1) Didn't drive drunk.... he'd obviously gotten most of the alcohol out of his system..

2) Wore his seat belt.

But.... got nailed on the 3rd.  Dropped his phone and went diving for it.   UGH.   There should be key ignition sensors that require you to lock your cellphone in a box before driving.

Something similar happened to me when I was in my 20s.  Went up to App St. to visit friends and we partied and played drinking games till late. Woke up the next morning hungover and drove home.  It was raining on the way back and a fish tailed and ran into another car.  Cop came and had me go into his cruiser and told me I smelled like alcohol so he asked if I would take a breathalyzer exam.  I was under .08 so wasn't charged.  

I'm am certain this is what happened to Shaq.  Was probably enjoying the night out, went to bed and woke up hungover next morning.   Maybe he dozed briefly while driving home and that's when the accident happened...

4 minutes ago, KB_fan said:

So, Shaq made two seemingly good and wise decisions:

1) Didn't drive drunk.... he'd obviously gotten most of the alcohol out of his system..

2) Wore his seat belt.

But.... got nailed on the 3rd.  Dropped his phone and went diving for it.   UGH.   There should be key ignition sensors that require you to lock your cellphone in a box before driving.

Yeah glad everyone is going to be fine. Shaq seems like a good kid and was smart not to drive drunk and wait until the next day. Hopefully he learns about using a phone a driving. You may be on to something about that lockbox idea. You better patten it before someone steals it.

While obviously Shaq was at fault because he crossed over the line, it sounds like the other drive tried to serve left(AKA into Shaq's lane) to avoid him, rather then swerving right?  Sounds like that is at some fault to the other driver as well, but would have to see pictures of the accident to see how far Shaq was into his lane and how much of a median there was on the side of the road.  Doesn't make sense to try and switch lanes with the other driver.

Archived