• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Selecting the 2016 Panthers Wide Receivers

Jeremy Igo

Speaking of Garrett:

Thanks to a link at BBR's latest "what they're saying" here's an interesting comparison of Garrett, KB and Funchess.  

I don't do Fantasy FB, so I don't know anything about this site, or how much weight to put into this analysis, but it seems to show that Garrett compares favorably to our previous round 1 and round 2 draft picks.  Cool.

http://rotoviz.com/2016/05/82450/

(Dang, I tried to go back to the article in order to copy the chart in question here, but there's a paywall.  Apparently I got one free view of the article, but now I can't get in.  If someone clicks the link, can you copy and paste the chart with the comparison on KB, Funch and Garrett?  Thanks!)

11 minutes ago, KB_fan said:

Speaking of Garrett:

Thanks to a link at BBR's latest "what they're saying" here's an interesting comparison of Garrett, KB and Funchess.  

I don't do Fantasy FB, so I don't know anything about this site, or how much weight to put into this analysis, but it seems to show that Garrett compares favorably to our previous round 1 and round 2 draft picks.  Cool.

http://rotoviz.com/2016/05/82450/

(Dang, I tried to go back to the article in order to copy the chart in question here, but there's a paywall.  Apparently I got one free view of the article, but now I can't get in.  If someone clicks the link, can you copy and paste the chart with the comparison on KB, Funch and Garrett?  Thanks!)

CarolinaWR-Start-Up.png?resize=700%2C400

ADP = Average Draft Position. so he doesn't compare favorably to KB or Funchess, this is just a funky graph.

also, there is no way philly loses his roster spot. he has shown he can get open vs great defenses, he's a playoff performer, and he plays the deep ball better than ginn (even though he's a bit slower).

Thanks @nickzz

It was actually the table comparing height, weight, speed, and production data for each of the three players, that I was looking for...  sorry, I realize "chart" was a misleading term to use.

So, if anyone else wants to paste that table here...

Damiere Byrd

I think its a fight between Brown and Capers. Ginn is on his last leg.. We will most likely give him the spot though. Brown is a tough competitor but talent wise I think Byrd blows him out of the water. So much smoother. I love me some Philly though!! Can't count him out.

Would love to see Garrett. We have seen what the rest can do. Norwood gets #2. Bersin should be on the PS and help everyone out with the playbook. I believe everyone on that list can step up if needed be.

SO.... I did a quick and dirty tally of the results with paper and pen (sometimes the old fashioned tools are better than spreadsheets, bells & whistles...)

HERE ARE THE RESULTS TO DATE:

1.  TED GINN JR:   61 votes

2.  PHILLY BROWN:  49 votes

3. KEYARRIS GARRETT:  41 votes

4. Byrd:  22 votes

5.  Hill:  12 votes

6 (tie)   Bersin & Norwood with 7 votes each

8.  Cobi Hamilton:  1 vote

I know my thoughts don't amount to a helluva lot, but IMO, if we assume:

LOCKS: KB, Funchess

Then I would put Ginn, Brown and Garrett as my next 3.  I really also want Hill or Byrd in that group though, so then, for me, it comes down to Joe Webb's roster spot.  

If the return game is pretty much fading out of the league, then why am I keeping a 3rd string QB on the roster that is no better at WR than Hill, Norwood or Byrd.  

I'd prefer to keep 6 WRs and let Webb go.  I know this is side-stepping/recreating the OP question, but I'm trying to figure out how, when we are on the verge of a few years of SB runs, that Webb is guaranteed a spot?  Why not cut Webb, and roll 6 deep at WR.  Teams with a tier 1 elite level QB have been known to only have 2 QBs on the roster.  DA is as good of a backup as there is, so why not go with this:

WRs: KB - Funch - Ginn - Brown - Garrett - Hill/Byrd 

Cut: Joe Webb

EDIT: Just an FYI on Webb's 2015 stats (29 years old) :

1 rush /  -1 yards

0 receptions  /  0 yards

8 returns  /  178 yards

On 5/18/2016 at 10:38 AM, Bsonetwo said:

I think Joe Webb proved his value last year. I think it would be crazy to cut him with how well his special teams play was.

The IR thing between the 3... I never wanna see anyone get injured but I think you may be on to something as it always happens.

I feel like our overall special teams is still an overall weakness so i would be surprised to see webb get cut since he is one of our stronger players in the return and coverage areas.

I think we will keep ginn and philly and im guessing garrett as the 5th but i think there will be good competition here in camp as several guys could make it.

15 hours ago, Soul Rebel said:

EDIT: Just an FYI on Webb's 2015 stats (29 years old) :

1 rush /  -1 yards

0 receptions  /  0 yards

8 returns  /  178 yards

They don't keep Webb for what he does. They keep him for what he can do if needed - QB/receiver/ST

5 minutes ago, Mage said:

Sorry if it has already been discussed in this thread, didn't read all of the pages, but doesn't Stephen Hill still have to serve a one game suspension from last year (was on IR)?

He already served it, while on IR.  Basically just took a week's pay from him.

On 5/18/2016 at 5:52 PM, pantherclaw said:

We train our receivers to play all three.

only three receivers on our 90 man roster can do that.

One is Bersin who you guys dont have making the team, I understand.

Two is KB who is of course making the squad.

and lastly is Brown.

If KB goes down who will replace him? Well, you have a years worth of tape to check of the answer. Who runs all of KB's routes if he's out? Maybe now the huddlers' lineups will reflect differently. 

It's laughable to think Brown isnt making the roster first of all. . to have him in the PS? lol, he's not spending more than 2 minutes on a practice squad. 

,Our five are going to be KB, Funchess, Ginn, and whichever of the remaining group bring other skills like special teams olay like kickoff and  punt return duties. Ginn is getting older and we need to have his  replacement. So between Bersin, Hill, Keyarris, Brown and Byrd, who can do more than catch the ball? We always go for players with flexibility and athleticism who can play more than 1 position. 

Truth is traIning camp will be doubly I important because things are still wide open. Also expect at least 1 guy to end up on IR.

I think Ginn is a lock and Philly probably too because of his experience and the coaches seem to like him. I think it comes down Garrett, Hill, or Byrd and I'm leaning towards Garrett but time will tell. 

Archived