• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Selecting the 2016 Panthers Wide Receivers

Jeremy Igo

So for my 2 that I need to choose first:

Ted Ginn

Philly Brown (maybe Stephen Hill)

3rd: 

Keyarris Garrett

Excluding the fact that we got KB and Funchess.

I like the idea of having 3 skyscrapers catching the high passes that Cam sometimes throws.

and having the 2 speedsters to split the middle of the field and catch the deep balls.

Far too early to make a determination. Unfortunately, injuries will likely drop one or two guys off the list. Then it becomes a question of who can best get on the same page as Cam.

I do have that feeling that guys like Hill and Byrd may have an advantage because they are more able substitutes for Ginn. Raw speed is one thing you can't really coach; you have it or you don't. If we somehow lose Ginn and we stick to the "the answer is on the roster" philosophy, then I can see either Hill or Byrd be part of the starting 53.

Norwood is getting overlooked by a lot on here imo. Yea he dressed that one time and dropped the one tipped throw that came his way that would have been a TD, but Gettleman did trade a pick for the guy. I know it was just a 7th, but he wouldn't have made the trade if he didn't think anyone else would pick him up. That means he has value that we just haven't seen yet. Wouldn't surprise me one bit if he makes this team over the likes of Garret, Hill and Byrd.

5 hours ago, Frank Hollywood said:

The thing with Webb, is that he sucks at all three positions he plays. He's not even a decent return man, I'm assuming a pretty terrible receiver since he never gets snaps, and we have all seen him play QB in the preseason. If one of these receivers can return, I think he's expendable. 

Yeah, it's very interesting that this offseason, unlike last year, most are treating Webb's spot as a given.  Last summer there was quite a lot of "cut Webb" sentiment.  But now most are comfortable with keeping him.  Heck a lot were even trying to vote him to the pro bowl last year on ST!

Apart from being fun to watch in preseason, his versatility and hard work on ST might be hard to replace.  Having a guy who plays all phases of ST, and who can play QB or WR (or RB?!) in a pinch makes roster management a lot easier.  He may not be great at any of those positions, but having one player who can be the 5th WR / 3rd QB and 3rd RB all while contributing on ST is a pretty good deal.

Not saying he's a lock, but it might take quite an effort to displace him from the roster.

If Proehl has made Stephen Hill into just a decent reciever he could be a revelation this year, I'll go Ginn/Brown/Hill as a few others in this thread, Ginn was a league leader in receptions last year, Phillys worked his tail off and was great in the playoffs & Hill is simply too much a freak to not get on the team if he has developed into something related to a NFL caliber WR, but if Hill is given up on, then that "big WR" spot is wide open, Key has a chance as he has a higher ceiling than Norwood and Bersin, but of course is lacking behind Norwood in pedigree and Bersin in familiarity 

2 hours ago, Razeyfingers said:

HIll has no chance of making the squad.

His chance is probably pretty low, but the Panthers' belief in him, and his year of working out rehabbing with KB..., perhaps that sparks something in him.  Maybe he's been working on catching for the past 10 months...  It would be a great story if he could make a comeback.  On many levels I hope it happens.  But it's not easy to suddenly stop dropping passes, so, I think it's a longshot.

7 hours ago, mwright350 said:

Shot in the dark:

KB, Funch, Ginn, Brown, Garrett

Hill scares me too much to pick him

Ginn has got to be a lock since he can return.

Garrett shows the potential that would make other teams vulture him from us if he doesn't make our squad; I'm saying he is a lock.

That leaves one more spot and I think you are right with Philly. Thought Byrd might have the speed, Philly has shown he can run the routes and create the separation needed. It will take Byrd balling out in camp and Philly turning back into Corey for the line-up to look any different than what you've got here.

If they keep 6.....

Byrd is the favorite.

Hill has been in the league long enough to click.... its not going to happen.

Bersin is a low ceiling/low floor kind of guy..... and that's not a good thing.

Norwood is an interesting unknown that could surprise if he puts on a show.

2 hours ago, Untouchable said:

Ginn, Brown, Norwood. Byrd and Garrett to the practice squad. 

I can see Byrd possibly challenging either Brown or Ginn with a really good camp but Ginn is too versatile and Brown (if healthy) is also very versatile, probably our best route runner and a decent blocker. I think the last spot is Norwood vs Garrett and it's close. I like Garrett's potential so much more but Norwood is the better route runner and blocker from what I know so far.

This is probably pretty close to my take on it as well.  Norwood has been invisible to most of us so it's easy to discount him, but our coaches wanted to draft him and we gave up a pick for him.  I'm guessing there's something good to work with there and he's more experienced than some of the others behind him, and I don't think he has PS eligibility.

At this point, I think we're possibly grooming Byrd to replace Ginn next season.  Whether we keep Byrd or Garrett as a mostly inactive WR #6 on the 53 man roster depends on how much we really want them for the future and fear them getting poached.  This is the preseason dilemma.  You need to play a guy to see how he does in live NFL action, but if he balls out, you risk other teams seeing him and wanting him and stealing him from your PS.

Of course keeping an inactive WR #6 would also mean one less spot for another position and this year spots are really really at a premium, so I think we're going to have to chance putting one or two guys we really really like on our PS. 

5 hours ago, Tom said:

Would't it better to categorize them by WR postition (X, Z, slot) rather than body type? Size/speed can be a proxy for position but it doesn't always work that way. KB plays almost exclusively X, Ginn played X last year, Philly plays mainly Z, Funch  apparently can play all three but really only played X and slot last year, not sure about the rest.

We train our receivers to play all three.

KB, Funchess, Ginn, Philly, and Garrett without question, this shouldn't even be a debate. Byrd will have to step up big time to make it in the rotation, I'd much rather stash him on the PS for another year. As for the perennial All-Pro's Hill and Norwood they're just camp bodies to me. I'll take Garrett's upside and potential any day rather than hoping Stephen Hill eventually turns the corner or Norwood managing to turn into a adequate contributor.

1 hour ago, AppHeel said:

Norwood is getting overlooked by a lot on here imo. Yea he dressed that one time and dropped the one tipped throw that came his way that would have been a TD, but Gettleman did trade a pick for the guy. I know it was just a 7th, but he wouldn't have made the trade if he didn't think anyone else would pick him up. That means he has value that we just haven't seen yet. Wouldn't surprise me one bit if he makes this team over the likes of Garret, Hill and Byrd.

I honestly can't remember the original rationale (if any) to picking up Norwood. We valued him enough at that time to give up a draft pick but when it's only a 7th, that means little in the present, especially with a GM that will give away those low end picks anyways to move up in the draft. He is a bit of a wildcard because we're not sure what he would look like if he demonstrates the potential our staff sees in him.

The way I see it, Norwood is someone we would've drafted if we had the chance. At least now the team will learn how our evaluation was of him and for a lesser draft pick than we would've needed back then.

Archived