• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Selecting the 2016 Panthers Wide Receivers

Jeremy Igo

Ginn, Byrd and Garrett. 

Ginn is too much of an enigmatic playmaker that is still above average in the return game. Time to close the chapter on guys that have shown themselves as mediocre talents and give new blood a chance. In addition to his legitimate, outstanding speed, Byrd has another year under his belt, is stronger, and arguably had a better preseason as a receiver last year than anyone but Ginn and maybe Funchess. Garrett's measurables, motivation and upside are too good to leave dangling on the vine. 

1 hour ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Here is the process you need to use to select the 2016 Carolina Panthers wide receivers corps. 

This process is based on five wide receivers being kept, as that 6th roster spot is desperately needed elsewhere. 

Ron Rivera learned a valuable lesson two years ago when the Panthers were loaded with larger slower receivers, they had way too many and it hurt the team. This forced Rivera to make roster changes mid season, something he hates doing. You can bet he has not forgotten that lesson. 

Since the two absolute locks (Benjamin and Funchess) are slower receivers, the Panthers will keep two faster receivers and only one additional slower possession type receivers. 

The X-Factor here is Stephen Hill, who has both the size and the speed (freak of nature). 

Therefore, to choose the remaining three... 

Step 1: Choose TWO of these players

Ted Ginn

Philly Brown

Stephen Hill

Damiere Byrd

Miles Shuler

Avarius Capers (just signed)

Step 2: Choose ONE of these players (obviously omit Hill if already chosen)

Stephen Hill 

Brenton Bersin

Kevin Norwood

Keyarris Garrett

Cobi Hamilton 

Follow these rules and tell me who you came up with. 

Ted Ginn

Philly Brown

Keyarris Garrett

KB

Funchess

I think they might go into the season with 6 receivers on the 53...the last spot would be between Byrd and Hill. Which would be determined by the impact either makes during training camp and preseason.

4 minutes ago, The NFL Shield At Midfield said:

so the bottom three WRs are going to be a rookie, a guy who hasn't compiled a stat since 2013, and another who's never been activated for a regular season game

well that's bold, i'll give you that

Considering Cam was threw 10 TD passes to a punt returner, I don't think it would matter who his bottom 3 WRs are 

34 minutes ago, Frank Hollywood said:

So someone is an idiot if they don't share the same opinion as you? How old are you that we can't have conversations on a message board without petty insults? I'm sorry if it attacks your confidence in your opinion to hear one that differs from yours, but grow up man. 

Brown flipped a switch in the playoffs with 113 yards vs. the Cardinals and 80 vs. the Broncos in only half the game. 

Before that he started to find a rythym, accounting for 217 yards in the last 4 games of the season. I believe he's back on the team this year and better than ever. But that's just my idiotic opinion.

Brown definitely came on strong for the playoffs but you have to take one major factor into consideration, this will be his second year in a row having shoulder surgery or let me say a shoulder injury to end the season. They say to be dependable you have to be available and to hurt your shoulder by simply falling on it a year ago then to reinsure it on a simple tackle to me imo means he's no lock because it's not a guarantee he can handle the physicality of the league. Truthfully I'm a big Philly fan but if he is very similar (during camp) to Bryd it's going to be closer then some of us think, because Byrds speed adds a different dimension to the wr group. But Philly also has a huge advantage he's hard as hell to check off the line his initial moves are sick if you ever just watch him shaking a db before he even gets his route started its a thing of beauty similar to Smitty, so we shall see in due time.

1 hour ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Here is the process you need to use to select the 2016 Carolina Panthers wide receivers corps. 

This process is based on five wide receivers being kept, as that 6th roster spot is desperately needed elsewhere. 

Ron Rivera learned a valuable lesson two years ago when the Panthers were loaded with larger slower receivers, they had way too many and it hurt the team. This forced Rivera to make roster changes mid season, something he hates doing. You can bet he has not forgotten that lesson. 

Since the two absolute locks (Benjamin and Funchess) are slower receivers, the Panthers will keep two faster receivers and only one additional slower possession type receivers. 

The X-Factor here is Stephen Hill, who has both the size and the speed (freak of nature). 

Therefore, to choose the remaining three... 

Step 1: Choose TWO of these players

Ted Ginn

Philly Brown

Stephen Hill

Damiere Byrd

Miles Shuler

Avarius Capers (just signed)

Step 2: Choose ONE of these players (obviously omit Hill if already chosen)

Stephen Hill 

Brenton Bersin

Kevin Norwood

Keyarris Garrett

Cobi Hamilton 

Follow these rules and tell me who you came up with. 

So to me KB, Funchess and Ginn are locks..

I am going to say Byrd beats out Brown, faster and better hands IMO. and Garrett beats out Hill. I get everyone thinks Hill is a freak and he is when its comes to size with speed, but the problem still remains the dude has no hands. Its kind of hard to be a WR when you cant catch the ball and he drops more passes that Brown and Ginn combined x10.

8 minutes ago, trucpfan said:

Brown definitely came on strong for the playoffs but you have to take one major factor into consideration, this will be his second year in a row having shoulder surgery or let me say a shoulder injury to end the season. They say to be dependable you have to be available and to hurt your shoulder by simply falling on it a year ago then to reinsure it on a simple tackle to me imo means he's no lock because it's not a guarantee he can handle the physicality of the league. Truthfully I'm a big Philly fan but if he is very similar (during camp) to Bryd it's going to be closer then some of us think, because Byrds speed adds a different dimension to the wr group. But Philly also has a huge advantage he's hard as hell to check off the line his initial moves are sick if you ever just watch him shaking a db before he even gets his route started its a thing of beauty similar to Smitty, so we shall see in due time.

Injuries can be a funny thing. KB tore his ACL from a non-contact simple manuever. It happens. Hopefully this surgery clears it up. But keep in mind Philly was meant to be a complimentary piece last season, a #4 or #5. The way he came on so strong last year shows he can be even more, IMO. Throw in the fact he can run most the routes and I don't see how he's cut this season.

Archived