• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Selecting the 2016 Panthers Wide Receivers

Jeremy Igo

18 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Here is the process you need to use to select the 2016 Carolina Panthers wide receivers corps. 

This process is based on five wide receivers being kept, as that 6th roster spot is desperately needed elsewhere. 

Ron Rivera learned a valuable lesson two years ago when the Panthers were loaded with larger slower receivers, they had way too many and it hurt the team. This forced Rivera to make roster changes mid season, something he hates doing. You can bet he has not forgotten that lesson. 

Since the two absolute locks (Benjamin and Funchess) are slower receivers, the Panthers will keep two faster receivers and only one additional slower possession type receivers. 

The X-Factor here is Stephen Hill, who has both the size and the speed (freak of nature). 

Therefore, to choose the remaining three... 

Step 1: Choose TWO of these players

Ted Ginn

Philly Brown

Stephen Hill

Damiere Byrd

Miles Shuler

Avarius Capers (just signed)

Step 2: Choose ONE of these players (obviously omit Hill if already chosen)

Stephen Hill 

Brenton Bersin

Kevin Norwood

Keyarris Garrett

Cobi Hamilton 

Follow these rules and tell me who you came up with. 

Don't you have to put Ginn in the "lock" group for right now?  I don't see any unquestionable punt returners outside of him.

Ginn, Philly, Garrett(don't see him getting outworked for this spot).  Byrd is the dark horse.

16 minutes ago, mwright350 said:

Shot in the dark:

KB, Funch, Ginn, Brown, Garrett

Hill scares me too much to pick him 

Agreed. Ginn and Brown have the speed we need. Obviously Byrd has the raw materials to be somebody. But you can say that for a ton of guys on teams everywhere. A lot people seem to be crowning this guy and he has yet to prove anything. 

3 hours ago, Nick_81 said:

Don't you have to put Ginn in the "lock" group for right now?

I mean, he is as close to a lock as a non lock can be. 

BUT

IF Damiere Byrd plays lights out at WR and PR, it is at least a conversation the coaches will have. 

Nothing could possibly happen that would force even a conversation about cutting KB or Funch. 

5 minutes ago, Frank Hollywood said:

I think they go with 6. Maybe Joe Webb gets the axe. 

KB, Funchess, Ginn and Brown are locks. 

I think Byrd, Hill and Garett are the best shot at the last two positions. One will go to IR and the other two will make the squad.

I'm sorry, but you're an idiot if you think Brown is a lock, he's closer to being a lock to be cut than a lock to make the team.

I think he's already proven that he'll never be anything too special, and given that, I'd much rather see us keep someone like Byrd who really could end up being special than keep Brown around to be the 4th WR behind KB, Funchess, and Ginn.

6 minutes ago, Frank Hollywood said:

I think they go with 6. Maybe Joe Webb gets the axe. 

KB, Funchess, Ginn and Brown are locks. 

I think Byrd, Hill and Garett are the best shot at the last two positions. One will go to IR and the other two will make the squad.

I think Joe Webb proved his value last year. I think it would be crazy to cut him with how well his special teams play was.

The IR thing between the 3... I never wanna see anyone get injured but I think you may be on to something as it always happens.

22 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

I think Corner and Safety get the extra roster love this year, and man do they need it. 

Any chance they carry six WR's until the season starts, send one to IR then bring Peanut back. Can't remember exactly when you can IR, without going through waivers.

7 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

I mean, he is as close to a lock as a non lock can be. 

BUT

IF Damiere Byrd plays lights out at WR and PR, it is at least a conversation the coaches will have. 

Nothing could possibly happen that would force even a conversation about cutting KB or Funch. 

I have Byrd as my dark horse, but I didn't consider him > Ginn for making the squad.  I think his best shot is surpassing Philly for right now, as Ginn is just too experienced as a punt returner.  Not saying it can't be done, and I did note the big if you presented, so I'm excited either way.

I completely agree with KB/Funch.  That wouldn't even cross my mind.  

KB- Obviously

Funchess- will take a big step forward

Teddy Ginn- will see a regression in his numbers but still contribute

Philly- Came on strong towards the end of the year. He and Cam have developed nice chemistry

Stephen Hill- (Cant believe I'm saying this.) Size, Speed, Healthy and Hungry. It's his job to lose. 

KG- Practice Squad

Archived