• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Antonio Cromartie wants to come to Carolina

Jeremy Igo

7 hours ago, CoastalCat said:

Didn't Bene play 10 games in his first year?

He started 6 games but 4 of those were the last 4 games of the regular season. Secondly we had a losing record so would you be happy starting rookies and taking a beating like we did in 2014. And If I remember correctly didn't he get burned like toast in our playoff loss to Seattle?

1 hour ago, panthers55 said:

He started 6 games but 4 of those were the last 4 games of the regular season. Secondly we had a losing record so would you be happy starting rookies and taking a beating like we did in 2014. And If I remember correctly didn't he get burned like toast in our playoff loss to Seattle?

Wasn't that only the 2nd of 2 touchdowns he allowed all year with  Kearse pushing off?

1 hour ago, jumpman910 said:

Wasn't that only the 2nd of 2 touchdowns he allowed all year with  Kearse pushing off?

Actually the Seattle one was the only one. And no one is saying Bene wasn't good for a rookie because he was. But he is the best we got and his ranking for 2014 was 11th which may be fine for some teams but we expect to return to the Superbowl not just contend for the division. So if we expect one of these rookies to start or that McClain who was decent considering he was not in football much of the year is going to shine, we might be in for a long season. 

14 hours ago, panthers55 said:

In his....defense, we did win all four of those games leading into the playoffs. Had the changes (not just Bene) happened earlier, we might have been sitting prettier record-wise. Yes on the Seattle point, but they were a pretty good team as well. 

My original point was that if you're drafting rookies to eventually start (drafted CB's 2nd, 3rd, and 4th, Bene was a 5th), then signing an expensive big time guy who isn't going to be understanding of his placeholder role is just going to make waves.

1 hour ago, CoastalCat said:

In his....defense, we did win all four of those games leading into the playoffs. Had the changes (not just Bene) happened earlier, we might have been sitting prettier record-wise. Yes on the Seattle point, but they were a pretty good team as well. 

My original point was that if you're drafting rookies to eventually start (drafted CB's 2nd, 3rd, and 4th, Bene was a 5th), then signing an expensive big time guy who isn't going to be understanding of his placeholder role is just going to make waves.

I think that Bene was able to start by the 12th game of the year especially given who he replaced.  But the problem for me is starting a rookie day 1 especially in a defense that requires discipline and knowing where you have to be on every play.  I can understand starting rookies who are top 10 picks for teams that are rebuilding and or ones who can't afford veterans due to a salary cap issue.  But we are not rebuilding or having cap issues at the moment. And taking reps away from rookies in game situations is hopefully because the veterans are playing at a high level.  Rookies will still get plenty of reps with the second and third teams in practice every day until they are ready to start.   With all the injuries we have had over the past couple of years it seems prudent to bring in a vet at corner and one at offensive tackle at this point given we have money to spend and inevitably one or two guys who are expected to start will get hurt before the season even starts.  I know that is pessimistic but realistic based on what has happened every year. As for an expensive veteran signing, we are finally to the point where guys will actually play for less to play here much like New England has enjoyed for many years.

2 hours ago, panthers55 said:

I think that Bene was able to start by the 12th game of the year especially given who he replaced.  But the problem for me is starting a rookie day 1 especially in a defense that requires discipline and knowing where you have to be on every play.  I can understand starting rookies who are top 10 picks for teams that are rebuilding and or ones who can't afford veterans due to a salary cap issue.  But we are not rebuilding or having cap issues at the moment. And taking reps away from rookies in game situations is hopefully because the veterans are playing at a high level.  Rookies will still get plenty of reps with the second and third teams in practice every day until they are ready to start.   With all the injuries we have had over the past couple of years it seems prudent to bring in a vet at corner and one at offensive tackle at this point given we have money to spend and inevitably one or two guys who are expected to start will get hurt before the season even starts.  I know that is pessimistic but realistic based on what has happened every year. As for an expensive veteran signing, we are finally to the point where guys will actually play for less to play here much like New England has enjoyed for many years.

You have a point there. We hopefully won't have to pay out these unprecedented contracts like some of the lesser teams for a while. 

4 hours ago, CoastalCat said:

In 2014 Bene didn't play because he was hurt not based on coaching decisions.

Archived