• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Antonio Cromartie wants to come to Carolina

Jeremy Igo

47 minutes ago, GoobyPls said:

I wouldn't mind Cromartie, but he was awful last season. He's one of those corners who has always relied on his athleticism more than technique.

Technique can be easily learned especially for a vet but athleticism can't. You either have it or you don't. 

2 hours ago, panthers55 said:

Technique can be easily learned especially for a vet but athleticism can't. You either have it or you don't. 

Lol, the things I hear around here are hilarious sometimes.   Cromartie has been in the league 10 years now, if technique is so easily learned, I'm pretty sure it would have been done so by now.   Not to mention his athleticism has fallen off as well, you don't make a project out of a 32 year old.

On 5/17/2016 at 6:17 AM, Steves89 said:

makes a lot of sense to me: a workable veteran with experience with Rivera in San Diego? Then again, Boykin made a lot of sense to me too. So what do I know. Then again, it's tough to see Carolina picking up a journeyman after they just dropped before even seeing him in training camp. I really am flabbergasted (aye, flabbergasted) by us cutting Boykin.

I could see us bringing in someone, but I think it would be a cheap, serviceable veteran who is a good teacher. Heavier on the "teacher" than the "serviceable". A guy who knows up front that the expectation is to be replaced mid-season when a rookie is ready, without making a stink.

30 minutes ago, CRA said:

he brought in Cortland last season....

that means Dave considers a lot

Two completely different situations. 

You think Mr Trying to populate the earth himself, will not be with a team any later than the 2nd week of the regular season? My thought, is he'll be sign with some team by the start of training camps. 

I don't see Gettleman signing any other corners before regular season, unless we get hit by injuries. (you better find some wood to knock on).  Even then, i doubt Gettleman goes that direction.

9 hours ago, pantherclaw said:

Two completely different situations. 

You think Mr Trying to populate the earth himself, will not be with a team any later than the 2nd week of the regular season? My thought, is he'll be sign with some team by the start of training camps. 

I don't see Gettleman signing any other corners before regular season, unless we get hit by injuries. (you better find some wood to knock on).  Even then, i doubt Gettleman goes that direction.

We are too young and inexperienced at CB IMO. 

I am not confident it will be Cromartie but feel we will rent a vet. 

and no, they aren't the same situation but there is still relevant points in play.  Dave Gettlemen has talked about renting vets and has done so...it is part of how he builds his teams.   If you can play and are a legit behind the scenes....I don't think Dave would give a rip about someone having a bunch of kids 

9 hours ago, CoastalCat said:

I could see us bringing in someone, but I think it would be a cheap, serviceable veteran who is a good teacher. Heavier on the "teacher" than the "serviceable". A guy who knows up front that the expectation is to be replaced mid-season when a rookie is ready, without making a stink.

Not sure it is realistic to think any rookie CB will be ready 

27 minutes ago, CRA said:

Not sure it is realistic to think any rookie CB will be ready 

We may not have a choice. However, Cromartie reminds me a lot of Harper where he could come in and a majority of the fan base hates the move based on the limited knowledge we really know about the guy. Then he comes in and becomes a leader and perfect veteran to groom our younger DBs. Obviously, Harper was a class act and definitely exceeded my expectations so I don't know if we can expect that from a guy like Cromartie. But just because we think we know someone doesn't mean they can't completely break the mold once arriving in a locker-room full of leaders like ours. 

11 hours ago, SmashNDash said:

Lol, the things I hear around here are hilarious sometimes.   Cromartie has been in the league 10 years now, if technique is so easily learned, I'm pretty sure it would have been done so by now.   Not to mention his athleticism has fallen off as well, you don't make a project out of a 32 year old.

What is hilarious are posters who criticize others with simplistic logic and poorly thought out arguments.  Technique is specific to a system and players who are mismatched for a particular system  struggle one year and excel in another system. Look at Coleman as a perfect example. Cromartie went to the probowl 4 times including 2012-14. That doesn't sound like a player who had fallen off or lacks technique. He struggled last year because the Jets system was a bad match for his skill set. It was in 2011 and again in 2015. In between he went to Arizona for 3 years and made the pro.bowl all three years. Here is a story in 2014  detailing his athleticism. I doubt it has dropped off that much.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000362292/article/antonio-cromartie-calls-out-critics-flashes-40-speed.

Besides our system focuses on being where you have to be and making a play. Something he would have no problem doing. At 6-2 and 210 lbs he has the height and size to take away big receivers in this division. If we don't bring him in it will be an attitude and character issue not the erroneous assumptions you suggest.

Archived