• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Antonio Cromartie wants to come to Carolina

Jeremy Igo

4 hours ago, panthers55 said:

Obviously I have no clue what the powers that be think but honestly think that we should have a veteran or two on the team at corner just to help everyone else to help with play calling and consistency.  I have no problem with young guys mixed with old guys but if we plan to go deep in the playoffs again tis year it is good to have guys who have been thee and done that.  Peanut and Harper for example were important for their leadership as well as skill.  There is not a lot of experience in the secondary at this point. Maybe it is me but starting rookies at corner on day 1 seems a big mistake no matter how good they are.  Especially for a team that wants to go to the Super Bowl again.

Pie isn't good enough for this post. We need a 7 layer cake button. 

Could not agree more. To me it seems like they are dialing back and preparing for another run in thirteen years.

Any money saved goes back to JR .

4 hours ago, panthers55 said:

Obviously I have no clue what the powers that be think but honestly think that we should have a veteran or two on the team at corner just to help everyone else to help with play calling and consistency.  I have no problem with young guys mixed with old guys but if we plan to go deep in the playoffs again tis year it is good to have guys who have been thee and done that.  Peanut and Harper for example were important for their leadership as well as skill.  There is not a lot of experience in the secondary at this point. Maybe it is me but starting rookies at corner on day 1 seems a big mistake no matter how good they are.  Especially for a team that wants to go to the Super Bowl again.

Check the OP again.

We're not shooting for a one year run. We're  looking for year to year consistency.

Shuffling veterans with one year deals on an annual basis doesn't lead to that. Building a group that functions as a unit does.

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

Check the OP again.

We're not shooting for a one year run. We're  looking for year to year consistency.

Shuffling veterans with one year deals on an annual basis doesn't lead to that. Building a group that functions as a unit does.

True, but trying to attain that all at once isn't gong to be easy.

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

Check the OP again.

I understand that we are building for the long term and I prefer it, but in this day and time where you lose players to free agency and have a hard time paying guys the big bucks they want on a second contract, you have to have a mixture of young and old guys.  If we had wanted to have year to year consistency we would have signed Norman to a long term contract.  But that wasnt realistic with a salary cap.  So you always have to have young guys developing and growing to become the core of the team.  BUT- to think that you wont have to continue to bring in guys like we did Coleman or Ginn on 2 year deals to plug holes or teach the young guys is unrealistic.  It is fine for a team that is rebuilding to go young and take their lumps but when nothing less than a Super Bowl is considered a down year, you have to reload as well as rebuild.

You have to build your own....but also realize that short rentals have their place in the process.  Pretty sure Dave addressed that when he got here. 

as a pure player...he can play.  I wouldn't mind renting him while we try to build our secondary.   He is a higher end rental but we are in the rental business with Dave.  Dave upgraded to Target from Walmart.  He might go up again as the cap mismanagement corrects

The more talent you throw at the problem the more competition in camp and all of a sudden a perceived weakness becomes a strength.

You've got your young guys, great, but bring in veterans to compete for starting CB. 

Is this guy better than any of the veterans we have? Yes.

Does he want Josh Norman money? Probably not.

You love your young guys but can they start day one? NO!!! It's the NFL and guys like Drew Brees will make them look like just what they are... Rookies

6 minutes ago, rippadonn said:

The more talent you throw at the problem the more competition in camp and all of a sudden a perceived weakness becomes a strength.

You've got your young guys, great, but bring in veterans to compete for starting CB. 

Is this guy better than any of the veterans we have? Yes.

Does he want Josh Norman money? Probably not.

You love your young guys but can they start day one? NO!!! It's the NFL and guys like Drew Brees will make them look like just what they are... Rookies

I agree. Atleast bring him in and let him compete for a starting role. The guy is a proven veteran it couldn't hurt.

22 minutes ago, KillaCamNewton said:

Im just confused that we have a GM who's the biggest proponent of "the game is not played in shorts" yet is making personnel decisions based entirely off of what he's seen from players in shorts

Because he released Brandon Boykin? In May?

Archived