• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Rookie Camp Practice 1 - Photos and Observations

Jeremy Igo

Here are a few general photos and observations from this mornings Carolina Panthers rookie camp practice...

Keyarris Garrett caught all of the passes that went his way from what I could see. 

panthers-rookie-camp (4 of 26).jpg

Garrett does a good job of keeping his eye on the ball and looking it into his hands. 

panthers-rookie-camp (5 of 26).jpg

panthers-rookie-camp (11 of 26).jpg

Garrett got plenty of individual attention from Ricky Proehl on the sidelines. Clearly there is a chance for him to make this team. I didn't see Proehl spend as much one on one time with any other receiver. 

panthers-rookie-camp (21 of 26).jpg

Second round pick Bradberry got the Steve Wilks arm grab, which no defensive back ever wants to get. When you are not where you need to be, Wilks will literally grab your arm and walk you to McDermott where you can get straightened out. 

panthers-rookie-camp (18 of 26).jpg

The Panthers are counting on a short learning curve from Bradberry. It is not unusual at all for rookies to miss assignments on their first day. But it was interesting to see the sense of urgency the Panthers had with this young man from the get go. 

panthers-rookie-camp (19 of 26).jpg

panthers-rookie-camp (20 of 26).jpg

Devon "Rockhead" Johnson looks the part of a fullback. It will be difficult to tell how effective he can be until the pads are on. However, he did make a couple of grabs out of the backfield in drills, without dropping any. If he hopes to eventually supplant Mike Tolbert, he will need to do much more of that. 

panthers-rookie-camp (12 of 26).jpg

Unfortunately, the other tight end Jake McGee injured his left hamstring. It is unknown at this time the extent of the damage. But for any player looking to make this team, losing snaps will really hurt you. Lets hope it is just a cramp and not a pull or tear. 

panthers-rookie-camp (15 of 26).jpg

Linebacker Jeremy Cash has his work cut out for him to make this team. As a linebacker, he is the smallest guy on the field. I just don't see any way for him to make his way to the field in a linebacker role at his current weight. He would need to put on at least 10-15 pounds just to be competitive. I would be more interested in seeing him as a strong safety now that I have seen him up close. But, I of course defer to the Panthers. Clearly they know better than me.panthers-rookie-camp (2 of 26).jpg

panthers-rookie-camp (23 of 26).jpg

General Notes and Ramblings: 

Damiere Byrd looks like he has put on quite a bit of muscle this year and looked really sharp today. Keep an eye on this development. If he can come in around 185-190 and not lose any speed,  he can be a real threat. 

Zack Sanchez was in the nickel role all day and did not move to the outside. 

The starting defensive corners were of course Bradberry and Worley, the rookie draft picks. 

22 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Garrett got plenty of individual attention from Ricky Proehl on the sidelines. Clearly there is a chance for him to make this team. I didn't see Proehl spend as much one on one time with any other receiver. 

Very nice.  Garrett said Proehl was the reason he came to Carolina.

"I love him. That’s the main reason I came, because of him," Garrett said of Proehl. "I just felt like we really had a good connection. When I wasn’t drafted, Carolina was the first team I thought about in my head."

Source:  http://www.panthers.com/news/article-2/Garrett-motivated-to-prove-Panthers-got-a-steal/fa909d0a-5567-412a-8864-603bd5a09fcb

It's interesting to see our 7th round pick and our UDFAs getting as much love & attention as our 1st round pick - including getting some features on Panthers.com.  Very cool.  Somehow it speaks to the Panthers' culture about letting your play speak for itself and earn you status.  It's a place where small school players can come in and thrive.  Nice.

Nice picture of what I'm calling "Triple Trouble" for now (our 3 new CBs) in the CLT Observer minicamp photo gallery

(L-R) Carolina Panthers cornerbacks Zack Sanchez, Daryl Worley, James Bradberry and safety Josh Furman break into motion during the team's rookie minicamp practice on Friday, May 13, 2016 in Charlotte, NC.

(L-R) Carolina Panthers cornerbacks Zack Sanchez, Daryl Worley, James Bradberry and safety Josh Furman break into motion during the team's rookie minicamp practice on Friday, May 13, 2016 in Charlotte, NC. Jeff Siner [email protected]

Here's the link for the full gallery: (26 photos so far)

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nfl/carolina-panthers/article77452772.html

Nice grab by Bradberry

Carolina Panthers cornerback James Bradberry, center, leaps into the air to catch a ball during the team's rookie minicamp practice on Friday, May 13, 2016 in Charlotte, NC. Bradberry played at Samford and is from Pleasant Grove, Ala.

Carolina Panthers cornerback James Bradberry, center, leaps into the air to catch a ball during the team's rookie minicamp practice on Friday, May 13, 2016 in Charlotte, NC. Bradberry played at Samford and is from Pleasant Grove, Ala. Jeff Siner [email protected]

Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nfl/carolina-panthers/article77452772.html#storylink=cpy

1 hour ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Devon "Rockhead" Johnson looks the part of a fullback. It will be difficult to tell how effective he can be until the pads are on. However, he did make a couple of grabs out of the backfield in drills, without dropping any. If he hopes to eventually supplant Mike Tolbert, he will need to do much more of that. 

panthers-rookie-camp (12 of 26).jpg

How did he look running and cutting? The stuff I've seen from him in college looks like he's extremely agile and fast for his size. Honestly I liked what I saw from him in college more than what I saw from Derrick Henry. Rockhead should be your new Lee Ward, Jeremy. Except with more a chance to make the team. If he ain't yours then he is mine. And I love that he has one of my old numbers and my favorite jersey number (though I kind of wished when the NFL let LBs wear 40s again that TD would go back to 47... still have his rookie 47 jersey).

Archived