• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers UDFA RB/FB Devon "Rockhead" Johnson

Jeremy Igo

3 minutes ago, jdpanther5 said:

...who thinks this, really? There's only 7 of them in total right now.

I think Cash makes it, Garrett has a shot depending on the number of WRs kept, and then MAYBE one of Bonnet/Johnson in a "Brockel" role. Everyone else are severe longshots.

The Florida TE could make it over Sandland. Gettleman has never cut a draft pick(intentionally at least, he meant to keep Gaffney on IR) but he's also never drafted a 7th rounder before.

I am never in favor of looking for clones of a current player but he's pretty close to Tolbert type. In a perfect world he becomes the next Tolbert multi-tool. Maybe he can become a better lead blocker than him.

23 minutes ago, Bartin said:

The Florida TE could make it over Sandland. Gettleman has never cut a draft pick(intentionally at least, he meant to keep Gaffney on IR) but he's also never drafted a 7th rounder before.

McGee is considered worthless as a blocker--why he was not drafted.

For right now,  the best that Rockhead can hope for is the practice squad. He is largely a one-cut,  straight line runner with questionable blocking skills and ball security issues.  This is not going to fly in the NFL,  period.  For that reason,  I don't see him as a real challenger for any RB's spot,  much less a TE. 

On an off note,  I think that people have forgotten that Wegher ran an official 4. 40 fourty,  can return kicks,  and has decent vision. My question with him is whether he has mastered blocking. 

As for Tolbert,  he is our bowling ball of a dancing bear (who admittedly may have lost a step) who is still adept at what he does. 

I am not smelling what the Rock---err,  Igo is cooking (up) this year regarding Rockhead.  The guy has a cool and fitting nickname,  but he won't be cracking the roster this year. 

Oh,  yeah,  I forgot to mention his durability.  It seems like Rockhead has a glass back. 

17 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

McGee is considered worthless as a blocker--why he was not drafted.

Good to know. Haven't really watched any of him except some short highlight video, but I don't know that Sandland is some great blocker either.

44 minutes ago, Bartin said:

Yeah, I said as much in my unintentionally long-winded post earlier. I think Beau is in the same boat as the UDFAs in that he's gonna have to prove his worth. He has a bit of an advantage by having an extra year on his deal, but then again the others will get tendered if they make it that far. So it may as well be an open competition. 

The TE position is certainly one to watch. We typically keep 4, but last year injuries forced us to drop Swole, and then eventually we moved on from Brockel. That essentially leaves two TE spots up for grabs (while Dickson certainly isn't a lock, I'm not sure I see them moving on with just rookies behind Olsen). The third, developmental receiving TE (Sandland, McGee, maybe Deaver) and the blocking TE/FB hybrid role (Bonnet, Johnson, incumbent Simonson).

1 minute ago, top dawg said:

FWIW,  Cash,  Garrett,  McGee and Stoshak were the only ones in PFF's top 50 UDFAs. I couldn't find anything on Rockhead by them,  or much of anything from anyone  except Zierlein.  

McGinn had him as his 2nd fullback in the draft...then had a not-so-flattering writeup about him based on scouts' comments. Sooooo not sure what to make of that. 

4 minutes ago, jdpanther5 said:

McGinn had him as his 2nd fullback in the draft...then had a not-so-flattering writeup about him based on scouts' comments. Sooooo not sure what to make of that. 

Basically it means that there is no need to get all hot and bothered over Rockhead.  I like the video with the Rock's theme song,  but in regards to him actually cracking our roster this year (or any NFL roster,  really),  it may as well have been Vince McMahon's theme song... No Chance In Hell. 

Not gonna cut it as a RB in the NFL.  If he can learn to hold a block for a little, could be great leaking out of the backfield.  Love the way this guy runs, too.  He's a football player for sure.  Just don't know if he's got that "it" factor to play in this league.

48 minutes ago, Bartin said:

Good to know. Haven't really watched any of him except some short highlight video, but I don't know that Sandland is some great blocker either.

I don't think Sandland is known for  blocking--I think I read one scout say that he has the "capability" to develop into one.  As a former  TE in college, I know a tiny bit about it (compared to the pro game).  A good blocking TE (and I was not one, but did not realize it until I got owned all spring by 2 guys who ended up going pro, but nobody knew that then, so it was embarrassing) has the ability to block a DE--we get that, but he also has to react to the C-G-T reads and take the empty man.  But if there is a blitz  or something like a double stunt, if you do not read it quickly, they are by you.  Playing H back, something my position did in college more than blocking on the LOS--but we did both--, is interesting because sometimes you are in motion when the ball is snapped and you get to block a DT.  We rarely pass blocked, but that would have been another mental episode for me.  It takes a while to learn the system, read the defenses, and play fast.  And when you do that, many times you are blocking a guy bigger than you are. 

Archived