• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers UDFA RB/FB Devon "Rockhead" Johnson

Jeremy Igo

Bob McGinn's number 2 fullback in the draft, FWIW. And of course that's based on his interactions with various team scouts. 

One thing that's fascinated me about this offseason has been the handling of the UDFAs. Prior to this season, Gettleman always brought in 15-17 undrafted guys to compete, but this year it was only 7. Some of that is a lack of roster spots, but I think it also goes back to something Gettleman said about the CAP and Mayo picks. About how, later in the draft, how important it is to find guys who can contribute anywhere, be it on special teams, as a backup, etc. 

Starting with almost-irrelevant Beau Sandland, you can already see the camp battles among the late day 3 rookies and they're positional incumbents. Paired up by position:

3rd receiving TE: Sandland & McGee - We haven't had anyone in this spot since letting go of Swole, so one of these guys will make it as long as we go back to carrying 4 TE'S.

5th (and 6th?) WR: Garrett & Stoshak with vets Norwood, Bersin, Hill - Stoshak is the biggest longshot of the UDFA group, but he does offer some upside as a shifty slot receiver, albeit likely down the line. Garrett could make an impact sooner, but he does have some decent competition. 

5th/6th LB: Cash & Norris with vets Jacobs, Mayo, Blechen - This one feels up in the air. Could see them keeping the group together, but I think we're very intrigued by Cash. 

4th TE/lead blocker: Bonnet & Johnson with vet Simonson. Relevant to the topic at hand, I don't think Johnson is competing with Tolbert or Wegher. Instead, I think the team views he and Bonnet like they did Brockel, a "TE" that specialized in run blocking. Last year, while they liked Lee Ward enough to sign him after rookie camp, he really wasn't a threat to unseat Brockel.

Of course injuries ended Richie's season and the team eventually let him go, so the position is now much more up for grabs than it was when Ward stole the Huddle's collective heart. Simonson of course took over and, as if to illustrate the difference between this and the other TE roles, was utilized as a blocker in 12 games, with his only counting stat being a single catch. 

Bonnet played both FB and TE in college, while Johnson played each of RB, FB, and TE; so they seem to have experience in the role. 

I think this guy is looked at as Tolbert's potential replacement, Wegher is Stewart's and CAP is Deangelo's. Those are the best comparisons. Wegher is a hard runner, but he's not huge and has moves and speed like Stewart.  Devon looks like more of a straight line power guy that could learn to block because of his size.  I don't  see them as competing for the same spot. 

Maybe I'm in the minority but nothing in those videos tell me he has the talent to be a lead back in the NFL.  Maaaaaaaaaybe an H-back or Fullback.  But he doesn't look overly athletic or fast.  Just ran through open holes and generally got tackled on the second try.

So...meh.

debbie downer analysis;

As deep as this roster is right now, even one UDFA making the team will be a big surprise.  At last count I show the Huddle as predicting six or seven make it.  If we thought the board was upset over Lee Ward I can only imagine the gnashing of teeth here after the 3rd preseason game.

Video highlights are great but how many of them were pre-injury/2014?  And a back injury can mess with your head as well as your body.

Also, not a fan of how he protects / carries the ball.   I'm sure it was fine in college but just won't work in the NFL and will take time to fix.

5 minutes ago, PntherPryd said:

debbie downer analysis;

As deep as this roster is right now, even one UDFA making the team will be a big surprise.  At last count I show the Huddle as predicting six or seven make it.  If we thought the board was upset over Lee Ward I can only imagine the gnashing of teeth here after the 3rd preseason game.

Video highlights are great but how many of them were pre-injury/2014?  And a back injury can mess with your head as well as your body.

Also, not a fan of how he protects / carries the ball.   I'm sure it was fine in college but just won't work in the NFL and will take time to fix.

Yea, I'd be shocked if he made the 53 this year.  I expect him to sit on the PS for a year or two and hopefully be ready to take over for Tolbert when the time comes.

1 hour ago, nosuchthingasapanther said:

saw the first clip and thought the same thing.

with his versatility, I wouldn't be surprised at all if he made the final roster.

He'd better learn to wrap a 2nd hand around that ball and stop carrying it like a 6 pack of Pabst if he wants to play in the NFL.

He is a converted TE--which means he could add a dimension as an outlet receiver.  Could he play Hback, FB, RB, special teams.   A guy like this is very valuable.  Don't forget that we have found and kept special teamers on the roster who can't play their positions very well--Colin Jones, Teddy Williams, David Mayo--he could take one of their spots as well.

His chances are better than most think---we didn't draft a RB, and many think we needed one.  I see this guy making a splash in preseason. 

1 hour ago, PntherPryd said:

At last count I show the Huddle as predicting six or seven (UDFAs) make it.  

...who thinks this, really? There's only 7 of them in total right now.

I think Cash makes it, Garrett has a shot depending on the number of WRs kept, and then MAYBE one of Bonnet/Johnson in a "Brockel" role. Everyone else are severe longshots.

Archived