• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers UDFA RB/FB Devon "Rockhead" Johnson

Jeremy Igo

Before anyone thinks other wise Mike Tolbert will make the roster for the remaining of his contract. I do think Rockhead will make this roster as a second FB. I think we will carry 3RB with the last spot coming down to Wegher and Fozzy and 2FB Rockhead and Tolbert.

There's a nice profile at BBR today of another one of our UDFAs, TE/FB Andrew Bonnet:

http://blackandbluereview.com/panthers-udfa-andrew-bonnet-roster-chances/

Talks about how many guys we're going to have competing for that hybrid TE/FB Utility role (and perhaps as a backup for / future replacement for Tolbert):

A utility man doesn't get much pub, but Bonnet (pronounced bon-IT) is in a good spot. The defending NFC champs are currently taking applications for a gig that doesn't have many qualified candidates.

"They're hard to find. It's not easy because you've got to remember there aren't any fullbacks at the college level,” Panthers general manager Dave Gettleman said at February's combine. "It's kind of a lost-art, dying breed kind of thing. But for us, it's a piece that we like, and it gives us flexibility."

Granted, Gettleman was answering a question about fullbacks. But as he continued, the reasoning behind his proclivity for a fullback/tight end hybrid became clearer.

"The common threads of all (NFL) fullbacks right now is they all can catch. They give you that threat," he explained. "[Defenses] have to pay attention. Because on third-and-2, play action, bang, you're dropping the ball to him in the flat and the guy's running 7 yards for a first down. You move the sticks."

[...]

If the Panthers are now planning for a future without Pro Bowl fullback Mike Tolbert, a nine-year veteran who signed a two-year deal this spring, Bonnet doesn't exactly fit the mold. Marshall running back Devon Johnson, a fellow undrafted free agent. does.

Plus, even though they're not the fullback/tight end hybrid that Bonnet is, veteran Scott Simonson and rookies Beau Sandland and Jake McGee join Bonnet and Johnson in a group that'll get one, maybe two, roster spots.

So Bonnet needs to find a way to stand out over the next few months.

Watching him run reminds me of Jonathan Stewart, specifically his gymnast like balance. 

Johnson's got that same kind of internal gyroscope that makes him hard to knock down if you don't wrap him up.

Plus being named "D Johnson" and nicknamed "Rockhead" ought to go a long way on The Huddle.

The kid has great vision and surprisingly good lateral movement. 

Not sure how the coaches view him.  I can see him as a short yardage back, or he can be groomed to replace Tolbert. 

Honestly, I'd be surprised if he made the final roster. We're stacked at the position.

I love watching him run through those arm tackles!  But at the end of the day, how much will he do to add value to a team whose goal is the Super Bowl next year?  I think PS player, but he should be fun during the preseason!

1 hour ago, johnnydefence said:

Brandon Wegher is like Rockhead but with a year under his belt. 

Camp is going to be fun! I cant wait to see if Brandon has learned to Block better.

Given their running styles, I'd enjoy seeing some plays with Johnson and Wegher together in the backfield.

Archived