• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

LT Tyrus Thompson cut by Lions (At Saints try out)

ctrcat

16 minutes ago, jdpanther5 said:

I remember he and Williams were two of the last guys we worked out before last year's draft. We sent Matsko out to work them both out last minute, Voth even did a podcast with the two of them. 

He probably wouldn't make the squad but it wouldn't hurt to give him a look IMO. We have 5 roster spots and I can't imagine him commanding more than the minimum. 

Wow. This is a pretty big indicator that we're at least going to talk to him about coming here.

From the Voth podcast: http://blackandbluereview.com/bbr-podcast-oklahoma-offensive-tackles-tyrus-thompson-daryl-williams/

"Tyrus Thompson and Daryl Williams have never been far apart since they each arrived in Norman in 2009. Thompson was a three-year starter at left tackle while Williams was on the right side. Off the field, they became roommates, best friends, and Williams the godfather of Thompson’s daughter. In this BBR Podcast, we talk about that friendship, their football futures, and the title Williams’ fiancé took from Thompson."

What about Anthony Davis? He wants out of SF and was a pretty solid RT for them before his sudden retirement. He could take over RT with Remmers being backup. Then have Williams play behind Oher for a year before he takes over.

EDIT: Reading up on Davis, he may be able to play on the left side. Either way, he'd be a nice addition and considering the situation between him and SF I don't think he'll be costly.

5 minutes ago, TylerVagyler said:

What about Anthony Davis? He wants out of SF and was a pretty solid RT for them before his sudden retirement. He could take over RT with Remmers being backup. Then have Williams play behind Oher for a year before he takes over.

Not as young, would have to trade an asset, his desire/attitude has to be at least of some concern, and he's a RT, not LT.

Not against a trade for the right guy, but not for a guy that took a year off just because he felt like it.

3 minutes ago, ctrcat said:

Not as young, would have to trade an asset, his desire/attitude has to be at least of some concern, and he's a RT, not LT

He's only 26 and he's proven. Not a 6th rounder who got cut after one season like Thompson. And I'm not so sure I'd say he has a desire/attitude problem. He wasn't the only player to get the hell out of SF during the Harbaugh debacle. I'd have no problem giving up a 3rd or 4th for him. Especially considering we are likely to get an extra 3rd or 4th for Norman leaving.

And yes, he plays RT. But if you read into him, many believe he is capable of either side. Even if he is just a RT, he is better than Remmers. Like I said in my post, he can play RT while Williams continues to learn/grow behind Oher.

Just now, Bartin said:

Could have had Mitchell Schwartz for around that and he's better, younger, wouldn't cost a draft pick and we didn't even look at him.

And how do you even know that? 

And btw....Schwartz is like 3 months younger, saying he's better is debatable and his cap hits are actually a littler higher. With Davis, he might cost a draft pick but he'd come with no guaranteed money. 

45 minutes ago, TylerVagyler said:

He's only 26 and he's proven. Not a 6th rounder who got cut after one season like Thompson. And I'm not so sure I'd say he has a desire/attitude problem. He wasn't the only player to get the hell out of SF during the Harbaugh debacle. I'd have no problem giving up a 3rd or 4th for him. Especially considering we are likely to get an extra 3rd or 4th for Norman leaving.

And yes, he plays RT. But if you read into him, many believe he is capable of either side. Even if he is just a RT, he is better than Remmers. Like I said in my post, he can play RT while Williams continues to learn/grow behind Oher.

He's proven alright, proven that he'll use Twitter to blast his former team with 4 letter bombs.  Lucifer, aka Gregory McKarl Hardy, aka The Kraken, has never blasted a former team publicly, has never quit football because he felt like it, would not cost a draft pick, and wouldn't have near the cap hit.

Not saying he'll become anything special but I can see us signing him.  Why not...and it could be a good situation or not much at all.   Daryl is all the depth we have.  If Foucault is the next option...yeah, why in the hell not bring in a young non-rookie for depth. 

We've been doing that and this seems a viable candidate.  

2 minutes ago, ctrcat said:

He's proven alright, proven that he'll use Twitter to blast his former team with 4 letter bombs.  Lucifer, aka Gregory McKarl Hardy, aka The Kraken, has never blasted a former team publically, has never quit football because he felt like it, would not cost a draft pick, and wouldn't have near the cap hit.

I'm not getting involved in Greg Hardy arguments. No need to derail another thread with him.

This was about a potential OT to take a chance on. I suggested another young talent that could be available. One that is proven on the field. You obviously disagree with going after him. But I think he'd be a nice pickup. He was in a terrible locker room which is obvious with the exodus that left with him. He'd have good leadership around him here as well as a great position coach.

30 minutes ago, TylerVagyler said:

I'm not getting involved in Greg Hardy arguments. No need to derail another thread with him.

This was about a potential OT to take a chance on. I suggested another young talent that could be available. One that is proven on the field. You obviously disagree with going after him. But I think he'd be a nice pickup. He was in a terrible locker room which is obvious with the exodus that left with him. He'd have good leadership around him here as well as a great position coach.

I hear ya, just doesn't seem like a GMan and/or Keep Pounding kind of guy.

Archived