• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Now imagine two of these guys next to eachother...

Jeremy Igo

4 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I know Gettleman says he's a pass rusher and that man knows defensive linemen, but Short had 19.5 sacks and 49.5 tackles for loss while playing in the Big 10 vs. Butler's 5 sacks and 28.5 tackles for loss playing in C-USA. Butler may have a lot of potential, but Short was the far more productive college player and he did it vs. better competition.

I'm excited about Butler's potential, but I won't be surprised if he's a bust.

I would be extremely surprised if a gettleman round 1 is a bust

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I know Gettleman says he's a pass rusher and that man knows defensive linemen, but Short had 19.5 sacks and 49.5 tackles for loss while playing in the Big 10 vs. Butler's 5 sacks and 28.5 tackles for loss playing in C-USA. Butler may have a lot of potential, but Short was the far more productive college player and he did it vs. better competition.

Different position.

JJ Watt had 11.5 total sacks in college.....just sayin.

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

he was also the entire defense for Louisiana Tech so they double teamed him quite a bit. good luck double teaming anyone on our line. 

If I remember correctly I think Butler played a high percentage of LA Tech's snaps so the guy definitely has stamina. I also remember KK played NT at Purdue and played like 86% of snaps while overweight, team wanted him that heavy, and got the reputation of taking plays off. Get a fresh Butler who's still got room to grow stronger coming in rotation and you'll see some guards getting Rekt every week with a combo of KK, Star, Soliai and Butler. Then throw in Ealy's development and an inspired CJ and may God have mercy of our opponents souls.

3 hours ago, KBRed said:

Now imagine a 6'1" CB with 33 3/8 wingspan, partnered with a 6'1" CB with the same wingspan. 

Now imagine a 6'5 240lb WR with 34 7/8" wingspan, partnered with a 6'4" 232 lb WR with a 33 3/8" wingspan

Now imagine a 6'5" 255 lb TE, partnered with a 6'4" 253 lb TE with 34 1/4" wingspan. 

Now imagine a 6'5" 250lb QB to lead that team. 

image.jpeg

54 minutes ago, Kuechly59 said:

Heck even dating back to Hurney who was our last round 1 bust? (Otah comes to mind but even he was a pro bowl caliber RT when healthy) 

There were questions around Otah when he came out, and never forget trading away a 1st for Brown.  If you use a 1st on someone who can't play in the NFL....regardless of round, it's a bust.

Just saying, Butler won't be anywhere near KK's level right away. And if he is that'd be one of the best picks in the last decade for him to start out so well. I'm extremely excited about Butler and think he'll certainly boost our pass rush, but he won't be on KK's level this year.

1 minute ago, thomas96 said:

Just saying, Butler won't be anywhere near KK's level right away. And if he is that'd be one of the best picks in the last decade for him to start out so well. I'm extremely excited about Butler and think he'll certainly boost our pass rush, but he won't be on KK's level this year.

That's a given. It takes years to develop as an All-Pro DT. But he'd most likely be an improvement on pass rush over Star for 3rd down situations. That's why I believe he was the best pass rusher on the board, since he'd have an immediate impact on the team, unlike the DE's who'd probably take a bit to develop to CJ and Ealy's level.

7 minutes ago, Saca312 said:

That's a given. It takes years to develop as an All-Pro DT. But he'd most likely be an improvement on pass rush over Star for 3rd down situations. That's why I believe he was the best pass rusher on the board, since he'd have an immediate impact on the team, unlike the DE's who'd probably take a bit to develop to CJ and Ealy's level.

One thing I do worry about is we don't have anyone developed behind CJ when he leaves. Maybe Butler could move to DE when he leaves?

5 minutes ago, Saca312 said:

I don't think Butler will be used that way at least not initially. Star comes off the field, Kawann moves to 1 tech, Kony moves inside to 3 tech and we bring in another DE to rush the edge like Addison is what we usually do on obvious passing situations. The clip in the OP is an example of that where KK is lined up on the outside shoulder of the center. He's usually on the outside shoulder of the guard in a base 4-3 under alignment.

Archived