• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Gettleman: We drafted a pass rusher

Jeremy Igo

Butler has only been playing football for 6 years. Tremendous upside .... crazy!!! I can't wait to see what our coaching staff can mold him into.

Random thought:  

If KK would have been in this draft ........makes you wonder where he would have been ranked based on his college production. This draft was so deep in DT talent it felt like two seperate classes/years were combined.  And we got one of the best of 'em. 

40 minutes ago, iamhubby1 said:

Ima tell ya what. You sure have this thing figured out. You found a place that had a need for your love of research, and spread sheet type data. If you were to leave for some unholy reason. You would be sorely missed.

Thanks for the compliment.  What I had posted was a quote from Salmingo's entry at Panthers Wire, not my own analysis.  Sorry I forgot to quote his text.

It's been a pretty amazing 12 months in terms of an exponential increase in football knowledge for me.  So much fun.  This has been a great place to learn, and I appreciate having a place to share info with fellow football fanatics.

3 hours ago, chknwing said:

Unless their gonna put butler along side of kk then it doesnt really make the pass rush much better just sustains it during rotation. 

And wears down the opponent seeing as they'll have no rest from ferocious interior pressure.

That, plus we have young guys like Addison and Delaire who'll have a year of experience and another year of camp under their belts.

3 hours ago, PhillyB said:

he was terrible at pressure but he did a great job setting the edge against the run and maintaining contain against running quarterbacks

And he did extremely well at laughing in the face of Odell Beckham.

You know we have it SO SO good as Panthers fans...

During the season, we have an amazing team to watch at the moment (Cam, Luke, TD, Greg, KB, Stew, KK & Star, CJ, Kalil, Turner & Norwell, Coleman .... (sad not to have JNo on this list any more)) and incredible reasons to be optimistic for continued success & Super Bowl runs.

During the offseason we get to listen to Gettleman!!!

If this isn't win win, I don't know what is!!!!

2 hours ago, iamhubby1 said:

Two things. First. Did you even bother to read the thread? Because in the 2 1/2 pages so far, there have been multiple posts about using Butler along side KK in passing situations. It is called the Nascar package. You get your best, and fastest pass rushers on the field all at the same time.  Also in this thread there are multiple posts about how Gman has said we did address the pass rush.  He just did it with a DT, and not a DE.

Second. We have a bunch of those quick young DEs on the team already. We have to find out what they can do before we know whether or not we need to add another one. We were what? Sixth in sacks last year with 44. Butler should help move that number up a slot or three. Along with probably a handful of pressures as well. The kid helps us. And isn't that the most important thing?

I posted from phone. I did not read entire thread, Just posted my comment.

I don't get it, how can you hate this pick? Another monster DT just creates chaos for a QB. Panthers DT depth was lacking and was noticeable towards the end of the game in the 4th quarter last year. D-line was gassed and couldn't get any pressure. They will now be able to sustain a pass rush and create havoc for 4 quarters. This also gives the LB more room to roam and frees up the DE for a lot of 1-on-1 match ups.

I guess some don't remember the instant impact KK and Star made when they were drafted, the difference between the D-line was like night and day. Now with the addition of Butler that D-line is going to add another element and create carnage for opposing O-line and QB.

Want to beat the best QB's in the game....when it matters most?

Apply inside pressure.

QB's like Brees, Brady, Ben, Rivers, Palmer, Rodgers, etc....those guys just climb right up the gut, and kill you with outlet passes if you can only rush from the outside.

On top of that...to make the dance year in and year out, you only need to win your division.  Do we have a mobile QB in the division outside of Cam?  Not really.  Matt and Drew have good pocket instincts...especially Drew, and Jameis "can" move, but he isn't super fleet of foot.  Constant interior pressure on those three, and we win most of the games against them.

Also the rotational DEs did a great job. Mario Add with his usual 6-8 sacks and developing Delaire when you see definite flashes.  

I thought J Allen took too many reps from those guys anyway. 

Having KK and KK 2.0(Butler) along with a hamstring strong CJ would make that pass rush from the Panthers go from slightly above avg to elite.

Especially if we get that evolutionary development leap from Kony. 

Archived