• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Gettleman: We drafted a pass rusher

Jeremy Igo

10 minutes ago, shulasmyhero said:

DE's have to hold their own for inside pressure to work.  QB can see it coming from the inside, if DEs are getting whooped, a guy like Russell Wilson could eat all day.  Handled it both games last year, KK really disrupted Wilsons game but CJ, Ealy and Delaire held containment (I.e Ealy's one on one tackle in the regular season game).  The point is that inside relies more on outside than vice versa.

Can't agree with that point.

31 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Can't agree with that point.

Fair enough. Should have clarified though, was speaking specifically to the pass rush and sacks against mobile QBs. Fully aware good pressure starts up front but with athletic QBs, middle pressure without contain can lead to big yards.  

49 minutes ago, MadHatter said:

I think you are wrong on that assertion.  DE's are at a huge disadvantage when the QB can step up in the pocket.  Many experts have said that a inside push is what makes a DL special.

I maybe overstated it.  I love the Butler pick and the pressure the interior of the Dline creates with KK and Star.  Butler will only add to that.  Was attempting to point out some concern with Ealy, Delaire, and CJs ability to hold contain against mobile QBs.  Obviously failed! 

19 minutes ago, The NFL Shield At Midfield said:

in wilson's case he'll just run backwards 20 yards, spin around, and heave a duck at nobody while getting tackled which will bounce off the other ten defenders' hands and get wedged between lockett's legs while he trips and falls into the endzone

What's crazy is this isn't really hyperbole for Wilson.

5 minutes ago, TheRumGone said:

What's crazy is this isn't really hyperbole for Wilson.

It's nauseating, and every time Carolina plays them I just accept the fact that we'll see at least two of those types of plays. Credit to them for making the plays, but if it were pool it would be slop every time.

1 hour ago, Zaximus said:

I have more worries about CJ than Ealy.  I thought Ealy was definitely ready and then we handcuffed him with Allen and CJ coming back.

Keep in mind that even though CJ has been solid in pass rushing, his best asset has been his ability to play the run.

Football 101: Stop the run, win the game.

I said it in another thread but I'll say it again. The DTS need to eat the center and guards so they can't slide to help the tackles. Most DES arent good enough to handle that double team. One on one is where the DES need to be to be most effective rushing the passer and leave them able to shed a block to tackle a runner. 

If the DEs are getting pressure then the offense may use a back to help block leaving the D with a plus 2 advantage on the play. That's why our DBs were able to gamble and jump routes. They knee they had at least one extra guy to help.

Towards the end of games, you could see the dline wearing down and the DBs were getting picked apart. That's why it's so important to keep the DTs fresh. As long as they keep the center and guards occupied, the defense always has a plus one advantage.

Look, if it wasnt apparent to you already, there are a CRAPLOAD of huddlers that dont watch football. They know stats and all kinds of other things about the Panthers, but they clearly DONT watch the game. Dumb comment after dumb comment will not deter them as they try to justify stupidity. Its best to just watch and laugh at them imo. Theyre Panthers fans after all though sooo. . .  kid gloves gentlemen, kid gloves. I dont know why theyre embarrassed, but they are and they need strangers to tell them theyre not stupid since everyone else has been telling them the contrary all of their lives.

It went like this for them:

Born stupid => stayed stupid => told they were stupid => pretend to not be stupid in front of other stupid people because he's tired of being looked at like he's stupid.

Maybe if they correct someone's grammar theyll look smart.

42 minutes ago, IGSaint said:

So they're probably going to make him lose about 10-15 pounds to give his pass rush more edge?

Not necessarily.  If you can carry the weight without losing speed/quickness it'll only help you.  Peppers was one of the best pass rushing DEs in the NFL for years and he was probably weighing 290 or so which is HUGE for a 4-3 DE.

Archived