• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Philly Brown had shoulder surgery

Jeremy Igo

I think KB, Funchess, and Ginn make up a very reliable WR corps (especially when you throw Olsen into the receiving mix).

With those 3 (4) set, I think we could stand to take some risks with the other 2-3 roster slots and maybe move on from Philly, bersin, random old vet and see what Norwood,  Garrett,  and even Hill could bring. It's not like we would be depending on anything more than 5-6 combined targets a game from them (the #4,5,6 WRs) anyway.

Btw, I like Philly.  I just can see the team willing to move on and give some other guys a chance. I tend to believe,  like others,  that despite his growth and our reliance from time to time on him that his roster spot is not safe.

he's really got got prove himself heads and shoulders above the others to get on the roster again. 

1 hour ago, rayzor said:

he's really got got prove himself heads and shoulders above the others to get on the roster again. 

No he doesn't.  He is almost guaranteed a roster spot unless something unusual happens (free agent signing, injury etc...).  IMO, if Hill ends up making the roster, it will be at the expense of Bersin or Norwood. 

1 hour ago, Davidson Deac II said:

No he doesn't.  He is almost guaranteed a roster spot unless something unusual happens (free agent signing, injury etc...).  IMO, if Hill ends up making the roster, it will be at the expense of Bersin or Norwood. 

we'll see.

2 hours ago, rayzor said:

Btw, I like Philly.  I just can see the team willing to move on and give some other guys a chance. I tend to believe,  like others,  that despite his growth and our reliance from time to time on him that his roster spot is not safe.

Funny that you should mention "shoulders" because that's why this thread began in the first place,  and it even lends more credence to the fact that Brown's roster spot is tenuous. People think that when it comes down to it Gettleman,  of all people,  is going to give arguably the 4th receiver on the roster---one who has had shoulder issues and concussion problems during his first two years in the league---some special consideration when others are ready to go. Ooookay. Everyone has a right to their opinion. 

9 hours ago, TheRed said:

Talk to any WR coach about the importance of following the ball in the air. You can not overstate it. All the athleticism and size in the world won't help overcome not being able to grasp the mental aspect of the position. It's crucial.

Beyond that I have no idea where you are going. You just compared a WR who hasn't even scored a touchdown in 3 years to the best CB in football last year. Sooo, I guess we're done here. Enjoy your evening.

Like I said who are you trying to convince?  How many years did it take Norman to develop? 

2 hours ago, top dawg said:

Funny that you should mention "shoulders" because that's why this thread began in the first place,  and it even lends more credence to the fact that Brown's roster spot is tenuous. People think that when it comes down to it Gettleman,  of all people,  is going to give arguably the 4th receiver on the roster---one who has had shoulder issues and concussion problems during his first two years in the league---some special consideration when others are ready to go. Ooookay. Everyone has a right to their opinion. 

Dude, you've tooted this horn for 2 years now. Give it a rest. Unless Philly goes on IR, he'll be on the 53 this year. We will bump the thread again just like we did in years past and revisit this come November.

10 hours ago, top dawg said:

Your proclivity towards digging up old hat,  peppered with a little bit of your own special bit of TheRed pepper infused with half truths is legendary. 

Perhaps he is mediocre and washed up, but his body of work will still be indicative of a receiver that outshines Brown's in every statistical category that matters as a receiver if Brown continues on his present trajectory in as many years. So...you can take that how you want.  I don't know if it is indicative of your hypocrisy or not,  but could be. :)

Not even Moore's first coach in Hue Jackson wants anything to do with him anymore.

The only thing that matters right now is, he hasn't done squat in 3 years. Sounds like he would rather piss his career down the toilet. Hell, at least Stephen Hill seems to be trying to make a go of it, can't say the same for Denarius.

Oh, and ask yourself this. If the roles were reversed, and it were Philly Brown who hadn't scored any touchdowns, or produced more than 120 yards since the 2013 season, and he was still on our roster, would you give him a pass for it like you are Denarius Moore?

Speaking of hypocrisy...

57 minutes ago, TheRed said:

Not even Moore's first coach in Hue Jackson wants anything to do with him anymore.

The only thing that matters right now is, he hasn't done squat in 3 years. Sounds like he would rather piss his career down the toilet. Hell, at least Stephen Hill seems to be trying to make a go of it, can't say the same for Denarius.

Oh, and ask yourself this. If the roles were reversed, and it were Philly Brown who hadn't scored any touchdowns, or produced more than 120 yards since the 2013 season, and he was still on our roster, would you give him a pass for it like you are Denarius Moore?

Speaking of hypocrisy...

The proof is not only in the eye test,  but the stats.  You are the one that called Moore averagee.  If you think Moore is average who arguably has superior stats compared to Philly's for their respective careers while simultaneously propping Philly up,  that is indicative of a little homerism and inconsistency. 

As for Moore,  you're the one that brought him up.  I haven't mentioned him since it was apparent he wasn't coming here,  and I think it's useless,  unnecessary and weak of you to rehash an old narrative,  especially when it really proves nothing.  Moore obviously has things other than football on his mind,  but I don't know and really could care less at this point.  I am interested in seeing what Norwood,  Hill,  Garrett,  Shostak,  and Byrd can bring to the table,  unlike you and others who are very dismissive of them at the expense of Brown. 

1 hour ago, Frank Hollywood said:

Dude, you've tooted this horn for 2 years now. Give it a rest. Unless Philly goes on IR, he'll be on the 53 this year. We will bump the thread again just like we did in years past and revisit this come November.

I will give it a rest,  but not before I respond. 

He may be on the 53, but it most likely will be on the bench.  And,  it really doesn't matter if the thread is bumped or not,  not unless Brown morphs into one of the better receivers in the league. As far as I'm concerned,  Brown proved my point last season,  which is that he and his production are easily replaceable. 

Archived