• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Philly Brown had shoulder surgery

Jeremy Igo

1 hour ago, TheRed said:

If we can find an upgrade over Brown, great. That would mean we are in pretty damn good shape. I'd be happy with that.

But people throwing Stephen Hill's name out as if that is an actual answer is pretty much laughable at best. Brown has at least done something in the NFL the last 3 years. The legend of Stephen Hill is just about reaching David Gettis levels of absurdity.

Just to be clear, the last time Hill scored a single touchdown was nearly 3 years ago. But Philly is a bum? Ok...

Hill is younger than KB and there is a reason DG is keeping him. DG had no problem getting rid of Cotchery after his SB performance. The dude could not help he got hurt just like KB last year. 

17 hours ago, X-Clown on 1 said:

Philly and Bersin are guys that benefited from an overall weak WR depth chart.  Now that we're building more and more depth, they are more and more likely to be missing the cut.  The only thing that either have going for them is years in the system.  We've already tapped their upside for the most part, but now have guys that "should" be equally as good as them, but with an untapped upside, thus far.  I wouldn't be shocked to see Hill or Norwood make it, and Garrett/Byrd head to the practice squad.

While I can't disagree with your assessment of Bersin and Philly, until I see Hill or Norwood catch a pass as a Panther, I can't say they deserve a roster spot. Should be an interesting pre-season I think that Bersin is unemployed after this (at least in the NFL), and this is Hill's last last chance. People (myself included) are going to get tired of betting on his petential. Sooner or later you have to put up or shut up. I think that Norwood should be PS eligible, right?

40 minutes ago, Snake said:

Hill is younger than KB and there is a reason DG is keeping him. DG had no problem getting rid of Cotchery after his SB performance. The dude could not help he got hurt just like KB last year. 

He's like 2 months younger than KB. Not really all that significant.

Anyway. Wasn't it Stephen Hill that Jeremy was posting training camp photos of as the only receiver not following the ball with his eyes as the pass was heading toward his hands?

Let's not act like he was setting the field on fire in camp before he got hurt.

Arguing over Hill or Brown when in reality if we cut both of them tommorow they wouldn't see the field next season. Even Ginn was a 4th string receiver in Arizona, 5th in SF.

That's why many of us are excited over Garrett.

1 hour ago, Snake said:

Cotchery's contract was going to be voided no matter what and Funchess' development made him expendable. Hill could not even crack the 53 in 2014 and I doubt he improved his WR skills while rehabbing his knee. Not saying he won't get a shot or doesn't deserve one, but it will take some steep improvement from Hill to stay on the team this year.

Werid to see the huddle turn in to a bunch of top dawgs about Philly brown. I didn't get the memo about starting the early stages of bashing a UDFA that's given the panthers lots of snaps. Sure I want better players. If there's a better QB or MLB, I want them too. I'm all about competition too, so go gett'em Philly prove all the new tog dawgs wrong!

5 hours ago, Toomers said:

Well, every statement after us having a bottom third of the league passing attack should be taken with the lack of knowledge that statement brings with it. Based on what? Total yards? Seriously? One of only two teams that ran the ball more than they threw it, and you want to use the one state that is entirely based on volume pass attempts. Why not use Y/A (6th), NY/A (9th), TD%(1st). Or are efficiency stats only good when used to make your stance. And Philly's "ratings" are largely based on his lack of targets. Yet the coast he's still chose to have him on the field more than any other WR. Are the coaches, stupid? And no one wants Philly playing the same role as last year. With KB back and Funchess improvement, Ginn goes from a liability as a #1, to a weapon as a #3. Same with Philly from a #2 to a #4. Neither will see the same attention or quality of player covering them this year. Which will only improve their play. We accomplished all that above passing with Ginn, Brown, and an extremely raw Funchess. Cot here has already been replaced about as well as could ever be hoped with the return of KB. Considering we are a RUNNING team, with a passing game that runs through the TE, how many WR do we have to aquire. Should we follow the Colts blueprint at the expense of more important positions?

And where did I say anything about not wanting to Ime rove the team. I was talking about the love affair with players who at best are training camp legends. Ones that have never done anything. Even the ones that have had multiple shots (Hill).   The same people complaining about draft picks, had Cash as our starting ST the second he signed. Where's Lee Ward. If Garrett and Cash are so special, why did 32 teams pass on them a total of 253 times? That is the only comment I made. Nothing about your ridiculous not wanting get to improve poo (my first poo....yay).

Learn how to read. And quit cherry-picking what stats suit your agenda.

The rating is based on a receiver's efficiency,  pure and simple.  Funchess couldn't have possibly gotten as many targets as Brown. Moreover,  part of the metric behind it is a receiver's ability to get open. Steve Smith was hurt for a substantial part of last season (which of course greatly decreased his targets,  but he is still one of the most ist efficient receivers in the game.  

6 hours ago, Razeyfingers said:

The problem with your explanation is that youre acting as if what one receiver does has no effect on the other. Youre acting as though if KB was there Brown still wouldnt have had yardage. So youre concepts of understanding of how receiving works is ALL broken. If you cant watch the game and see that Ginn cant run deep outs and in's because he cant catch. Funchess wasnt agile enough to do it at high speed so they wouldnt let him run it either. Then the strategy of your offense is very broken without a guy who cant run all the routes. Its critical that a receiver runs these routes on pass plays as well as run to provide misdirection and move the defense where you want them to ideally be.

How much longer will you guys pretend to understand what youre talking about? I mean maybe youll learn so more if you read some more stats over at PFF, TOOOOOOP Daawg.

First off, I didn't give an explanation to anything. I basically said that Brown should have been more productive for the amount of time he was on the field. That is my opinion,  and the numbers bare it out.  Secondly,  I don't  have to pretend about what I see and what I desire.  There is ample room for improvement,  and that is pretty much undeniable. Whoever provides it,  the number on the jersey is of no consequence. Philly surely ain't gonna do it on the mend.

You guys prop up Philly, but then talk poo about the others---others with  arguably better upside and measurables who have put in a lot of time and work to get an opportunity to be here,  and those whom coaches have praised for putting in a lot of hard work and effort to improve their craft. You don't know what the hell they can do at this moment in time (and specifically,  you need to stop saying what Funchess can't do).  

1 hour ago, top dawg said:

The rating is based on a receiver's efficiency,  pure and simple.  Funchess couldn't have possibly gotten as many targets as Brown. Moreover,  part of the metric behind it is a receiver's ability to get open. Steve Smith was hurt for a substantial part of last season (which of course greatly decreased his targets,  but he is still one of the most ist efficient receivers in the game.  

Yet Funchess had 63 targets to Philly's 54. So evidently, it was possible.

Now, how about you explain the rest of the poo you posted. The stuff about us having a bottom third passing offense. And how I don't want to improve the team. Notice you did want to bring those up again.

21 minutes ago, Toomers said:

Yet Funchess had 63 targets to Philly's 54. So evidently, it was possible.

Now, how about you explain the rest of the poo you posted. The stuff about us having a bottom third passing offense. And how I don't want to improve the team. Notice you did want to bring those up again.

No wonder Funchess was more efficient... That's what happens when you get open. 

As for the other stuff,  what does it matter?  You have your opinion and I have mine.  Sometimes you don't have to explicitly say something to make an implication,  but if that's not what you were doing,  then my apologies.  This is the Internet,  and there are instances of miscommunication because you can't actually see nonverbal cues. 

That being said,  you can't be surprised when someone basically takes your words about a "common" and "disturbing trend" of valuing players that basically are unproven (for various and understandable reasons) as a mischaracterization of what they are really doing,  which is basically being hopeful for an upgrade at a particular position. There is absolutely nothing wrong with being hopeful,  and it's really to be expected.  

Archived