• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Philly Brown had shoulder surgery

Jeremy Igo

1 minute ago, Castavar said:

I don't get this obsession with HIll.

He's 6'5" and runs a 4.3 40. He's the ultimate "what if?"

What if Ricky taught him to run good routes and hands catch? The answer is borderline Megatron. That's why people are excited. Is it likely to happen? Probably not but until he proves that it isn't people are going to hope for it.

Philly and Bersin are guys that benefited from an overall weak WR depth chart.  Now that we're building more and more depth, they are more and more likely to be missing the cut.  The only thing that either have going for them is years in the system.  We've already tapped their upside for the most part, but now have guys that "should" be equally as good as them, but with an untapped upside, thus far.  I wouldn't be shocked to see Hill or Norwood make it, and Garrett/Byrd head to the practice squad.

2 hours ago, Bartin said:

Homeless man's Tavon Austin. Fun underdog to root for but he's not making the 53 without a ton of injuries.

He's still practice squad eligible right? We could potentially stash him again, see if he bulks up, how he gets off the line and creates separation, grasps the playbook etc..

Could eventually be a Ginn replacement. Long shot, but still possible.

2 hours ago, Kuechly59 said:

In all fairness Brown is also an udfa WR.

Nothing all fairness about it...if anything that's an even bigger knock on Brown as another UDFA is bigger/just as fast....which shows just how much easier he is to replace.

Anywho where you were drafted means didlyshitfug...not like the coaches are going to be like "Yup well it's a close battle but Brown was an UDFA so yea lets give him the nod" It's either add value to the team or get out.

4 minutes ago, jfo89 said:

He's still practice squad eligible right? We could potentially stash him again, see if he bulks up, how he gets off the line and creates separation, grasps the playbook etc..

Could eventually be a Ginn replacement. Long shot, but still possible.

Yes to all.

Id actually argue he's a really valuable PS player. Playing someone with ludicrous speed? Now you can actually prepare for it. I realize you can do that with someone like Ginn but then you are asking him to pull double duty on the scout team.

19 minutes ago, outlaw4 said:

So how much time are we talking here? I'd hate for the team to cut Philly without seeing whether he can play even better with another year under his belt.

It's probably the same timeline as everyone else. Limited during the offseason and back full for training camp.

2 hours ago, Promethean Forerunner said:

Brown has had more injuries than Hill... in 1.5 years of his career. WTF are you talking about?

I doubt that is true since Hill ended his first two seasons on injured reserve, and tore his ACL at the beginning of this past season while Brown has only missed 5 out of 32 possible games over his first two seasons. Brown has played in 84% of our games over his first two years.   Hill only made about 60% of the games in his first two years.  I don't know if all the games he missed were due to injury or the Jets not activating him.  But since he ended both seasons on IR, I assume its the former. 

Hill has no special teams value and would have to set the world on fire in camp and preseason to make it as a rotational wideout. So he'll be gone.

Bersin is just a guy (sorry Bersin fans) and is easily replaced. He won't make it this year. He did have a good run though.

Kevin Norwood is the wildcard. He showed flashes but was very inconsistent. The staff likes him, but he is already 26 and we gave up a pick to get him. It's make or break. My prediction? Bye Norwood, we hardly knew ye.

Philly Brown is an occasional deep threat, a target Cam seems to like, and is tough as nails. He is in.

Keyarris Garrett.... Well we all know Gettleman is a size queen so if this kid holds his own in camp and makes some plays in preseason, he'll make it. 

Unless we pick up another guy, I see those as the 5. Benjamin, Ginn, Funchess, Brown, Garrett. I don't think we go with 6 this year. The additional roster spot will go towards the logjam at DT or the hopefuls at DB.

8 minutes ago, Davidson Deac II said:

I doubt that is true since Hill ended his first two seasons on injured reserve, and tore his ACL at the beginning of this past season while Brown has only missed 5 out of 32 possible games over his first two seasons. Brown has played in 84% of our games over his first two years.   Hill only made about 60% of the games in his first two years.  I don't know if all the games he missed were due to injury or the Jets not activating him.  But since he ended both seasons on IR, I assume its the former. 

Please don't let facts get in the way of a wonderful myth. 

Hill, while having all the fantastic physical traits, was flat out let go after only two years as a Jet. Even though he was a 2nd round pick, that they traded up for. Then, spent a season on our practice squad, where no other NFL team even looked at him. All while he was healthy, 6-4, and had this same amazing speed. If he is such a specimen, why are no other teams trying to get a hold of this hidden gem. Doesn't matter how big and fast you are as a WR, if you can't catch anything, or even run an effective route. Why would such talent sit on the practice squad while limited WRs like Philly are active for every game they are healthy? Hmmmmm....

You would think that Huddlers would have raised their standards from one offseason to the next. 

The myth that Brown is this WR with the upside of a one---err  two,  was basically disproved by his meh performance last year.  I want better,  and I hope that we get it. 

Archived