• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Let's play pick two running backs

Jeremy Igo

11 hours ago, Daddy_Uncle said:

CAP has to improve on holding onto the ball.

10 hours ago, chbright said:

Now his huge knock so far: hold onto the ball. If he focus on that he will be hard to displace as the long term guy.

9 hours ago, TheRed said:

Will all the people saying CAP give him a free pass when he puts the ball on the ground again?

3 hours ago, KB_fan said:

CAP would seem to have the edge over Wegher given his game experience last year, but his fumbles were a bit concerning.

18 minutes ago, thefuzz said:

If CAP shows he can hold onto the ball, I'm betting he stays...

The dude fumbled the ball one time all season guys...  One... 

Does he really have a "problem?"

16 minutes ago, Nick_81 said:

The dude fumbled the ball one time all season guys...  One... 

Does he really have a "problem?"

Unfortunately, it happened in the playoffs. That is what people are going to remember, fair or not.

Getting arrested in the offseason isn't going to do him any favors either.

30 minutes ago, heel31ok said:

More upside on both, dont See Getting much more from Fozzy than what we have in him right now.

I really don't believe Artis-Payne has a fumbling problem per se,  as much as I believe it may have been rookie jitters. And I know that Wehger can provide special teams play,  and is a dark horse to actually be the heir apparent with speed and power.  If he masters blocking,  he will arguably be the most complete back of the group. 

The fact is,  we need to see more of CAP and Wehger so that we can get an adequate assessment of what each fully brings to the table. We already know what we have in Fozzy,  a journeyman who is easily replaceable as he probably should have been by Jordan Todman last year. 

Much like we need to add more Mayo this year,  we need to give CAP and Wehger more quality reps and let the upside evolve on the field. I see Fozzy as kinda like the Ben Jacobs of RBs. He has had a good run,  but allow nature to take its course. 

4 minutes ago, TheRed said:

Unfortunately, it happened in the playoffs. That is what people are going to remember, fair or not.

Didn't he also fumble against the Giants?  And maybe in week 17 against Tampa?  I'm pretty sure there were 3 games.  I'd have to go back and check game threads.  Don't have access to Game Pass currently, so can't go back and review game film right now.

Would you hold it against me if I said, "None of the three make me think that the future has arrived."?

The drop off following Stewart and Tolbert is pretty heavy across the board. If I had to choose, it would be CAP and Wegher just because they are still early in their careers, might have untapped potentials and are cheaper for the time being.

That being said, if Stewart were to get injured, none of the three would have what it takes to take over the RB1 position. And Tolbert can't make it for a full game carrying the load.

Sure hope that I'm proven wrong, but I'd love to see us looking around for a good backup for Stewart.

OK, looking at the gamebook data.  

In the Giants game, Cam was charged with the fumble.  IIRC it was on a handoff to CAP.  It was 4th quarter (drive 13) if anyone wants to check:  Drive started with 7:33 remaining and ended with 6:43 remaining.

I'll check the Tampa game to see if I'm remembering correctly...

9 minutes ago, TheRed said:

They can remember it, sure.  I remember it.  That doesn't mean he has a "problem" with fumbles.

2 minutes ago, KB_fan said:

OK, looking at the gamebook data.  

In the Giants game, Cam was charged with the fumble.  IIRC it was on a handoff to CAP.  It was 4th quarter (drive 13) if anyone wants to check:  Drive started with 7:33 remaining and ended with 6:43 remaining.

I'll check the Tampa game to see if I'm remembering correctly...

His one official fumble was against Seattle in the playoffs according to nfl.com

9 minutes ago, KB_fan said:

Didn't he also fumble against the Giants?  And maybe in week 17 against Tampa?  I'm pretty sure there were 3 games.  I'd have to go back and check game threads.  Don't have access to Game Pass and reviewing game film right now.

I thought I remembered another one as well, but I can't find any in the game logs for the regular season.

2 minutes ago, Nick_81 said:

They can remember it, sure.  I remember it.  That doesn't mean he has a "problem" with fumbles.

Fumbling in the playoffs against a team that has had our number for the past few seasons until recently is a problem.

I can't imagine that you were very complimentary of him at the time of that fumble while watching the game. Does this mean that I think we should just get rid of now or something absurd like that? No, let him prove himself, he was a rookie. But let's not lie to ourselves here.

3 minutes ago, csx said:

His one official fumble was against Seattle in the playoffs according to nfl.com

Yes, the Giants game fumble was charged to Cam.  Here's something from the Observer write up on the game in a section about how CAP played in his biggest action of the year to-date in that game:

Rivera declined to say who was at fault for the ride-read handoff fumble in the fourth quarter between Artis-Payne and Cam Newton, but it was clear the two need more practice at that.

“That’s off the zone read and it becomes familiarity knowing he’s going to give it to me or he’s going to take it on CAP’s side,” Rivera said. “And on Cam’s side he has to know hey I’m not going to let it go, I’ve got to let it go. It’s one of those fine lines that the two of them have to work together.”

I'm pretty sure too that CAP had another game where he dropped the ball but recovered it himself, thus not being charged with a fumble.

Obviously I'm not the only one concerned with his fumbles, so I think we're all remembering more than just the one fumble against Seattle.

But I don't seem to sound down on the kid.  Think he's got good potential, and agree that it could well be "rookie jitters" and that as he plays more he'll be less likely to fumble.  Don't see it as a really big deal.  Just something to keep an eye on.

3 minutes ago, TheRed said:

Fumbling in the playoffs against a team that has had our number for the past few seasons until recently is a problem.

I can't imagine that you were very complimentary of him at the time of that fumble while watching the game. Does this mean that I think we should just get rid of now or something absurd like that? No, let him prove himself, he was a rookie. But let's not lie to ourselves here.

Lol, okay man.  

ANY fumble is a problem at the time it happens.  That's a far cry from having a fumbling problem.  Mike Tolbert fumbled twice in the Super Bowl.  That was a huge problem.  You are kidding yourself if you think he has a fumbling problem though.

1 minute ago, Nick_81 said:

Lol, okay man.  

ANY fumble is a problem at the time it happens.  That's a far cry from having a fumbling problem.  Mike Tolbert fumbled twice in the Super Bowl.  That was a huge problem.  You are kidding yourself if you think he has a fumbling problem though.

You call out one player to defend another? That's rather bizarre logic. Especially considering most of our offense struggled in SB50.

Anyways, the coaches didn't give him anymore reps in the postseason after that fumble. What do they know though.

Archived