• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Let's play pick two running backs

Jeremy Igo

8 hours ago, sharkkiller said:

I choose to defer until after the preseason games. Whoever plays better stays.

Pretty much this.  I really can't do more than guess at this point without seeing them competing against one another.  But that said, I'll throw out some thoughts.

CAP would seem to have the edge over Wegher given his game experience last year, but his fumbles were a bit concerning.

After being a pre-season star, poor Wegher only was active in week 17 for 2 snaps.  Would love to see Wegher get a chance, even if only special teams.   Fozzy really didn't show out much last season, as much as I like him as a player and a solid guy on the team.

Lots of folks seem to be very enthusiastic about our new UDFA RB Devon Johnson as well - talking about him being a potential replacement for Tolbert eventually.... 

So, RB competition will be hot.  I agree we're only likely to carry Stew + 2 (and also Tolbert.)      I'd guess CAP has a better than 50% shot.  Wegher could end up being stashed on the PS.  Unless he balls out again in preseason (as he might well do), the risk of him being poached seems lower than last year.

1 hour ago, KB_fan said:

CAP would seem to have the edge over Wegher given his game experience last year, but his fumbles were a bit concerning.

After being a pre-season star, poor Wegher only was active in week 17 for 2 snaps.  Would love to see Wegher get a chance, even if only special teams.   Fozzy really didn't show out much last season, as much as I like him as a player and a solid guy on the team.

I agree. I think we've gotten a good look at what Fozzy can do and I feel like the other two may have more potential, but we haven't seen 'em in action enough to tell for sure, especially Wegher. I like that they saw enough in him to keep him on the roster, but it's time to put him on the field and see what he can do against some 1st team defenses.

Cameron Artis Payne and Brandon Wegher. I think the panthers are higher on both also I think Devon Johnson is making the team I think our back would look like.

RB: Jonathan stewart Cameron Artis Payne Brandon Wegher

FB Mike Tolbert Devon Johnson

The staff made it quite clear last year that Fozzy is not an every down option. So CAP is the 2nd string RB to Stewart. Webber has to show he can be as effective as Fozzy on certain 3rd downs and KORs, to take his spot. If they are about even, you keep Wegher, because we know Fozzy is at his ceiling. 

As for CAP, he struggled with fumbling his first season at Auburn. The next year, with 4x the carries, he didn't fumble at all. Just a matter of him getting comfortable. 

Fozzy will be a FA after this season, Brandon after the next, and CAP after the next.

If CAP shows he can hold onto the ball, I'm betting he stays....whichever stays healthy is the other one.  My guess is Wegher.

A little late, but I'm going CAP and Wegher as my favorites.  @Jeremy Igo asked, do you make sure each gets snaps against 1st/2nd team defenses?  Yes, absolutely.  Give them all a fair shot against the better players, and see who takes advantage.  I have a feeling Wegher would show up in that situation.  I also love watching Wegher play.  I noticed last season, he's got a little mean streak about him, similar to Turner.  Would be nice to have that somewhere on the offense, besides the offensive line.

Archived