• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Barnwell-roster moves not finished yet, links Monroe and Joeckel to Panthers

ctrcat

13 hours ago, callofthewild said:

I'd love the team to take a chance on either of those guys.  I would REALLY love to see Willie Young on the Panthers.  A rotation of Ealy-Johnson-Young-Addison is exciting.

I like this possibility as well. Played for NC State, wants to play for a 4-3 D, cheap, plus we all know that Chicago is our farm team.

Gettles said in the post draft presser that during the draft other teams called him and offered him a current year pick if he would give up a 2017 pick and he said declined because he didn't want to lose any more picks in next years draft (7th round is already gone). With all the potential free agents after this next season, I doubt he would want to give up another draft pick for a yearly rental. That would scream "win now mode" which he said he does not subscribe to.

Just now, Murph said:

Gettles said in the post draft presser that during the draft other teams called him and offered him a current year pick if he would give up a 2017 pick and he said declined because he didn't want to lose any more picks in next years draft (7th round is already gone). With all the potential free agents after this next season, I doubt he would want to give up another draft pick for a yearly rental. That would scream "win now mode" which he said he does not subscribe to.

I completely agree. 

11 hours ago, Murph said:

He subscribed to it last year with a much older/past his prime Jared.  He also traded a pick TWO years out for Norwood.  He also said he thinks we'll get a comp pick (3rd rounder) next year, but didn't want to count on it.  Perhaps after May 12,  although there's no way to REALLY know, that will be a little closer to certain.  All things to consider.

Investing a day 3 pick (in 2017 OR BEYOND) and relatively little guaranteed money into much needed OT depth would not necessarily mean sacrificing future for present.  At all.  Just an option/tool on the table that can't be discounted.  One can even argue it'd an investment IN the future by helping protect our investments.

9 minutes ago, ctrcat said:

He subscribed to it last year with a much older/past his prime Jared.  He also traded a pick TWO years out for Norwood.  He also said he thinks we'll get a comp pick (3rd rounder) next year, but didn't want to count on it.  Perhaps after May 12,  although there's no way to REALLY know, that will be a little closer to certain.  All things to consider.

Investing a day 3 pick (in 2017 OR BEYOND) and relatively little guaranteed money into much needed OT depth would not necessarily mean sacrificing future for present.  At all.  Just an option/tool on the table that can't be discounted.

Yet there should be equal quality and cheaper depth available without sacrificing a draft pick. 

2 minutes ago, csx said:

Yet there should be equal quality and cheaper depth available without sacrificing a draft pick. 

At OT, considering its premium and dearth of talent league wide, I'm just not so sure.  We'll see though.

Archived