• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Barnwell-roster moves not finished yet, links Monroe and Joeckel to Panthers

ctrcat

10 minutes ago, tiger7_88 said:

No way I'd use a 4th on a one-year rental.

Not ideal, but then would know if he's worth resigning long term with an inside track on him-and if not, if someone truly throws big $ at him, then maybe get a comp pick in 2018 as a result.  Far more likely than him completely falling off the face of the earth and being out of football at 25.

A one year rental for a backup is not worth a 4th, but there's more than meets the eye here, as the Jags may not feel motivated to give away their own depth for less as Beachum is recovering from injury himself.

26 minutes ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

If the money is right I would definitely give them a whirl.  Remmers is probably going to be replaced by Wiliams so if we were to bring either one of these guys in they would have to fight Oher.   Oher had a good year for us so if they beat him out at LT than the Panthers win.

Bring him in as backup to Oher and if he shows improvement sign him long term and let him battle with whoever we draft next year. 

3 minutes ago, countryboi said:

I could see the Panthers making a play for Joeckel mostly because he is cheap and young. 

He would instantly be our 2nd most expensive lineman and we would have to trade for him to most likely be a backup. I guess it's possible if they immediately extend him but who knows if they actually think he's worth anything at all.

3 minutes ago, csx said:

He would instantly be our 2nd most expensive lineman and we would have to trade for him to most likely be a backup. I guess it's possible if they immediately extend him but who knows if they actually think he's worth anything at all.

he was the second pick in the draft and is only a year long rental, so yes he is going to cost a bit more than our band of case offs and mid rounders but like i said he is still young, talented, and relatively cheap.

6 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

PFT pointed out that only twelve of that year's thirty-two first rounders had their fifth year option picked up (Star obviously being one of them).

A lot of folks think this year's first round was chock full of reaches, so who knows?

I think actually it was 12 of the 32 that had their options DECLINED, at least that is the headline.  I'd have to double-check the tracker list.

Final count: 12 first-round picks from ’13 have fifth-year options declined

30 minutes ago, countryboi said:

he was the second pick in the draft and is only a year long rental, so yes he is going to cost a bit more than our band of case offs and mid rounders but like i said he is still young, talented, and relatively cheap.

Assuming he's a year long rental then trading for him would be even worse IMO.

15 minutes ago, csx said:

Assuming he's a year long rental then trading for him would be even worse IMO.

There will be other options.  Sometimes one man's trash is another's treasure.  But make no mistake they'd be scrap-heapish options in a league desperate for OT help.

Archived