• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Trai Turner hires new representation...

Jeremy Igo

Two things....

Agree with Tantric about Kalil possibly being the 'odd man out' on that line sooner, rather than later. Nobody wants to lose Kalil, but he may face the inevitable business end of the NFL front office.  He could extend/restructure/pay cut to stay though, so its not a foregone conclusion that he's on the way out.

This could also be another wrinkle to us drafting Vernon Butler.  

I think KK is a no-brainer for us to extend, but maybe if it comes down to Star vs. Turner, DG could be faced with a tough decision... Especially if Star continues to miss time due to injury concerns.  Would Gettleman prefer a trio of KK, Butler and Turner, or KK, Star, Butler, while losing out on Turner?

Drafting Butler is insurance if there's a push between Star and Turner, and DG can only keep 1.  

10 hours ago, cam1uvrxoxo said:

Agree that Kalil's salary will soon become burdensome.  Gonna suck bc he anchors two very talented and very young guards and gives us three studs in the interior of the OL.  But he's getting old and you can't play forever..

Centers can play for a long time, as long as they stay healthy. 

I think he'll get another contract from the Panthers.

3 hours ago, The NFL Shield At Midfield said:

kelechi osemele is averaging $11.7 million/year but that's the highest by a few million

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/average/guard/

as the cap ceiling continues to rise i'd think that number is only going to become more normal though

Am I the only one that saw that and went "Paying an OL that much is far more reasonable than paying a CB 16 million/year"

1 minute ago, Cracka McNasty said:

Am I the only one that saw that and went "Paying an OL that much is far more reasonable than paying a CB 16 million/year"

We're talkin about Trai to.  That kid is fuging nasty!  Can't let a dude like that get away, and I don't think we will.

Khalil could hang around a while longer if he really wants but like other positions I think we start looking to draft his replacement to wait in the wings for the future. I would love to get the center from LSU you next year. 

I really hope Trai Turner remains a Panther. 

I'll always remember him because we were on the clock in the third round when I got the call that my grandma died. He's the guy I picked, and I'll never be able to forget that. One of my favorite Panthers because of that coincidence.

Kalil is 31, and his current contract is ending/has voidable years. But I could easily see him coming back on something like a 2 year, for 6-7 million a year to chase rings. He's making an average of just over 8 now on his current deal. I don't think we have to worry about losing him due to money...he's here as long as he wants to play IMO. 

Locking up Turner and Norwell could get interesting, but I imagine it gets done. The OTs will continue to be the issue, though. If DG decides to pay for one...we're going to lose some guys. If we draft one...he's going to have to find a gem late in the 1st or trade up, unless he hits a home run in the middle of the draft which obviously can't be banked on. 

1 hour ago, Soul Rebel said:

Two things....

Agree with Tantric about Kalil possibly being the 'odd man out' on that line sooner, rather than later. Nobody wants to lose Kalil, but he may face the inevitable business end of the NFL front office.  He could extend/restructure/pay cut to stay though, so its not a foregone conclusion that he's on the way out.

This could also be another wrinkle to us drafting Vernon Butler.  

I think KK is a no-brainer for us to extend, but maybe if it comes down to Star vs. Turner, DG could be faced with a tough decision... Especially if Star continues to miss time due to injury concerns.  Would Gettleman prefer a trio of KK, Butler and Turner, or KK, Star, Butler, while losing out on Turner?

Drafting Butler is insurance if there's a push between Star and Turner, and DG can only keep 1.  

He doesn't need to restructure or take a pay cut. This is the last year of his contract. If he wants to keep playing and sign a reasonable contract he'll be here without having to be cut or restructured.

What's 118 + 77 + 31 + 22?

That's how many millions of $$$ Gettleman dropped on 4 guys last year. You might have heard of them. Newton, Kuechly, Olsen, and Davis. Saying Gettleman is cheap is st-st-st-stoopid.

17 hours ago, The Lobo said:

He's gonna get paid...as he should and hopefully by us.

He's the base of our o-line (sorry Kalil), and Gettleman has enough money to swim around in Scrooge McDuck style, I'd say it's a safe bet he gets some $$$.

Hopefully he has one ring and the chance to be part of the best team in Panther history by 2017 so he wants to be here and will work out a cap friendly deal.  And Gettleman who hates to lose his own homegrown talent will pay him 50-60 million dollars meaning he will never have to work a day in his life after he retires even assuming he doesnt make another big payday down the road.  Could he get more from Jerry Jones to play in Dallas?  Probably.  But if he wants to be here and be part of the team then he take a few million less in exchange for playing on the best team in the league.  Seems to me that the difference between 12 and 10 million shouldn't drive you away unless money is the only thing.  And then you dont really fit in anymore.  Just ask Charles Johnson.......

Archived