• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Which team will be able to establish it's running game?

stankowalski

Will we be able to establish the running game against the Giants? Will they be able to establish the running game against us? The team that is more successful in running the ball will probably win this game. Both teams are in the top 5 in the league in rushing offense. The Giants have been able to do that against better rushing defenses on average (they've played against every team in the top 5 in rushing defense, except themselves of course). Whereas we have only played against two teams currently ranked in the top ten against the rush.

They are tied for first in rushing, while we are ranked 18th against the rush. We are fourth in the league in rushing, while they are ranked 4th against the run. They have only played two teams that are in the top half of the league in rushing (Baltimore 6th, Washington 8th). We have played against 6 teams that are in the top half of the league in rushing (Atlanta 1st, Minnesota 3rd, Oakland 10th, Tampa Bay 13th, Kansas City 14th, and Denver 16th).

There are some mitigating factors to consider here. Plax won't be playing and I believe that helps our run defense because we won't have to defend against certain situations. Brandon Jacobs will probably play but will he be 100%? Our offensive line has been playing together for 4 straight weeks now and is looking very good.

I don't know...if it snows we may be in trouble. We won't be able to stretch the field with Smitty as easily.

Valid point.

Also valid that Smith is as much a "yards after catch" receiver as he is a deep threat. Weather hurts deep threat receivers more than it does guys who just need to get the ball into their hands and run with it.

Valid point.

Also valid that Smith is as much a "yards after catch" receiver as he is a deep threat. Weather hurts deep threat receivers more than it does guys who just need to get the ball into their hands and run with it.

Yeah, that's why the prospect of snow kind of worries me. The Giants don't rely on those pass plays near as much as we do. Smitty is one of the reasons why our running game works so well because you have to keep a safety back there to guard against the deep pass. If it snows I don't think that big play will be there down the field and the safeties will be able to play a bit closer to the line because of that.

Archived