• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers list Jeremy Cash as linebacker.

Jeremy Igo

More on Cash as a Linebacker - from Don Gregory, Panthers' director of scouting:

"Both of those guys were draftable guys," said director of college scouting Don Gregory. "Garrett with his height, weight, speed, and his production was off the chart. Then Jeremy Cash is a two-time captain, very productive – over 300 tackles. That type of production can carry over to the NFL."

Most assumed that Cash - the ACC Defensive Player of the Year for Duke - and Garrett – the nation's leading receiver for Tulsa – would be drafted, but when they weren't, the Panthers pounced.

One thing that may have hurt Cash in the draft was the idea that he was a "tweener" – not polished enough in pass coverage to play safety like he did at Duke but not big enough to play linebacker. The Panthers have no such concerns.

"He's a linebacker. We got him to be a linebacker," Gregory said. "He's 205, has been as heavy as 215, 220. He's got a frame to get bigger. We see him as an outside linebacker. His production translates to outside linebacker for us.

http://www.panthers.com/news/article-2/Panthers-unearth-undrafted-gold/9f65ab7b-6b4c-4155-bde5-40efe1c44445

[the whole article is really worth reading for a bit of background as to how/why the Panthers' snagged both Cash & Garrett, and their thoughts on the other UDFAs we signed]

It's so odd that in a league where the difference between linebacker and safety is getting blurrier by the day, that a guy like Cash wasn't in higher demand.  Look at us.... trailblazers setting the standard that other teams will start copying very soon.  When players like Shaq and Cash roam the field, while Luke and TD do their thing, it will be a thing of beauty.  

Love the signing and think Cash finds his niche sooner, rather than later.  Not saying '16, but I don't think he's the kind of player that you can't keep off the field. Certainly viable sub-packages and can do some damage in the box. 

Jersey numbers 45-49 are available.... I hope he lands a nice 46 or 48 number.

Yeah I see a lot of people looking for fine distinctions between the LB and S role relative to a player like Cash but he's going to fit a very particular role and it sounds we have a good idea about it.  I'm very excited for this. 

A sub-package "moneybacker" & ST >>> ST & only a backup role. 

This is the most confident I've ever felt about a UDFA getting a roster spot in a while this early on.  People can dog him all they want for his coverage skills (which aren't that bad just average considering the early stage in his career) 

He was ACC DPotY for a reason and is a mad man against the run.  He only fits a few defenses in the league at the moment which is one reason why I think he went undrafted along with his room to grow in coverage.    

1 hour ago, Soul Rebel said:

It's so odd that in a league where the difference between linebacker and safety is getting blurrier by the day, that a guy like Cash wasn't in higher demand.  Look at us.... trailblazers setting the standard that other teams will start copying very soon.  When players like Shaq and Cash roam the field, while Luke and TD do their thing, it will be a thing of beauty.  

Love the signing and think Cash finds his niche sooner, rather than later.  Not saying '16, but I don't think he's the kind of player that you can't keep off the field. Certainly viable sub-packages and can do some damage in the box. 

47 like TD had. It would be fitting.

3 minutes ago, crushcard1976 said:

Coach Rivera said still might use him at safety tho. Wether it's safety up in the box or nickel

I don't think that's their intention at all.

"He's a linebacker. We got him to be a linebacker," Gregory said. "He's 205, has been as heavy as 215, 220. He's got a frame to get bigger. We see him as an outside linebacker. His production translates to outside linebacker for us.

"He's aggressive, a very good tackler. He's smart and has cover skills. He fits into the mold of a poor man's  Shaq Thompsonicon-article-link.gif . Now we have two of them."

Source:  http://www.panthers.com/news/article-2/Panthers-unearth-undrafted-gold/9f65ab7b-6b4c-4155-bde5-40efe1c44445

2 hours ago, Soul Rebel said:

Definitely needs to go with 45 then modify his practice jersey so it's 4$

Just now, csx said:

I'd take what Rivera says over the scouts. It's in his hands now. Like I said, Cash said himself he discussed being used as both with the team.

Could have been part of the recruiting if Cash sees himself as a safety.

"Sure, we like you as a LB but we want to give you a shot at SS too."

*Jeremy Cash arrives at rookie minicamp*

"Shut up and play LB, rookie."

Archived