• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers list Jeremy Cash as linebacker.

Jeremy Igo

The highlight tape above showed several interceptions

i have a feeling he was just filling his role the way he was expected to do at Duke. Wasnt asked to drop back too much. I expect pur teachers and Rivera to put this guy in good position to make a play on the ball

his instincts are through the roof

5 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

His fall makes no sense....He is smart and fast.  I dont get it.

Wrist surgery in late December and no combine or pro day workout due to that are the only reasons I can think of. Pretty much all of the 2 down run stoppers all over the defense fell farther than expected but not even that can explain him going undrafted.

13 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

His fall makes no sense....He is smart and fast.  I dont get it.

LB speed, safety size, but makes plays like a LB and not a safety.  Sort of a tweener project.  Will see if he can carry some extra weight in the next season or so

41 minutes ago, Bartin said:

Wrist surgery in late December and no combine or pro day workout due to that are the only reasons I can think of. Pretty much all of the 2 down run stoppers all over the defense fell farther than expected but not even that can explain him going undrafted.

This is the major reason he dropped yea his coverage is sub par but to think with all his positives traits and football tape somebody would draft him with the mind set to develop him into a major contributor. But he couldn't work out either time because of the same nagging hamstring so no one got a chance to really see him work out flip his hips in coverage etc plus the wrist to injury late December that's a bad combo for a player in between positions. I read a couple different articles and that's the main reason I've seen it's still crazy somebody didn't use a late round on him.

3 minutes ago, beastson said:

Keyarris fall makes no sense either. He's 6'4, 220, very good combine numbers, and production

He makes even less sense than Cash but it's possible there is some unreported major long term concern with that really bad broken leg he suffered.

I don't watch much college ball, but he seems to have very good play recognition and is very explosive. He seems to have a great first step. I know they are highlights but he looks like he's playing at a different speed. Can't wait to see what hes got!

34 minutes ago, beastson said:

Keyarris fall makes no sense either. He's 6'4, 220, very good combine numbers, and production

He will be the talk of the NFL one day. 

Again, we will place at least 2 udfas on the roster.  I think 2-3 others will make the PS.  Not bad when you only bring in 6.

I wonder if we only brought in 6 because we offered Garrett and Cash more cash that others to sign.  However, Beaston, you have to look at these 2 players, Maybe the TE from Florida too, as part of the draft.  If you do that, we had a very good draft.

About Cash--we needed an OLB for depth and special teams--the roster has a lot of guys best suited for MLB in reserve, but not any solid OLBs.  This was a great move in so many ways.  I see him at 220-225 getting it done.

Cash obviously brings some above average talent/skill to the table (ACC Defensive POY). I think he could be an immediate contributor on special teams and become an interesting weapon in certain sub packages. Will be very interesting to see if they keep him at a LB spot or bounce him in between in certain groupings.

8 hours ago, MHS831 said:

I wonder if we only brought in 6 because we offered Garrett and Cash more cash that others to sign. 

I think we brought in 7:

Cash & Garrett

the RB Devon Johnson

Stoshak the WR from FAU

TE Jake McGee from Florida

Bonnet, the FB from Montana

and a LB Jared Norris from Utah

Could well be we offered Garrett & Cash more... after all we know they had a lot of teams vying for them (or at least we know that for Cash).  But also, we don't have that many roster spots left.  With these 7 UDFAs, we're at 85.  Add in a few tryout guys and FA pickups and we're quickly to 90.

Another reason not to bring in more UDFAs (at least those we really like as opposed to camp bodies):  our roster space is at a premium.  At least 4 or 5 of these look really promising in terms of potential fit on our team.  But I can't see more than 2 getting space on the 53.  Even finding PS room for a few more is gonna be tough.

1 hour ago, KB_fan said:

I think we brought in 7:

Cash & Garrett

the RB Devon Johnson

Stoshak the WR from FAU

TE Jake McGee from Florida

Bonnet, the FB from Montana

and a LB Jared Norris from Utah

Could well be we offered Garrett & Cash more... after all we know they had a lot of teams vying for them (or at least we know that for Cash).  But also, we don't have that many roster spots left.  With these 7 UDFAs, we're at 85.  Add in a few tryout guys and FA pickups and we're quickly to 90.

Another reason not to bring in more UDFAs (at least those we really like as opposed to camp bodies):  our roster space is at a premium.  At least 4 or 5 of these look really promising in terms of potential fit on our team.  But I can't see more than 2 getting space on the 53.  Even finding PS room for a few more is gonna be tough.

I think I saw somewhere that we brought in another (2) TEs in the UDFA pool, but the total was seven.  It could be Bonnet--some list him as a TE, others a FB. 

Seriously, if you get one UDFA to make the roster, you have done well.  I seriously think Cash and Garrett will make the roster.  The WR Stoshak FAU has a chance as well because he is different from the others on the roster.  He is a lot better than people realize, according to a relative who knows that conference/team.

I think McGee has a shot as well.  I hope this ends the Dixon experiment, and we have 3 TEs when the dust settles.  I think McGee winds up on the PS, fwiw.  Devon Johnson also has a shot to make the roster--he is more than a FB, like Tolbert.

Finally, the lack of linemen is noticeable.  I imagine that we use some of that cap $$$ to sign a few free agents after cuts.

1 hour ago, MHS831 said:

Finally, the lack of linemen is noticeable.

Sure is!

Re: your thoughts among which UDFA make the roster... you might want to go check out my preliminary guess at what a 53 could look like based on the 85 players we currently have on the roster (incl the 7 priority UDFAs).

Offense here:

Defense here:

At this point, sight unseen, I do have Cash & Garrett potentially making the roster, because if we're at all sold on them we almost have to stash them on the 53 to keep them from being poached from our PS.

Wow, only Tuesday post-draft and we've already got two stellar nicknames / taglines for two of our rookies.

We've got "It's BEAU time!"

and now thanks to David Newton (of all people)... a pretty great nickname for Cash. 

http://espn.go.com/blog/carolina-panthers/post/_/id/20671/panthers-cash-in-with-undrafted-free-agent-jeremy-cash

Cash has been compared to Arizona Cardinals standout Deone Bucannon, a first-round pick in 2014 who was turned from a safety/linebacker to a “moneybacker.’’

This past season Bucannon started 16 games, collecting an interception, three forced fumbles, three sacks and 109 tackles.

The Panthers don’t use the term “moneybacker,’’ but perhaps “Cashback’’ will be coined.

“They like the versatility I bring to their ballclub,’’ Cash said. “Some of the things I did at Duke they’re going to implement at Carolina in some of their subpackages. They like tweeners.’’

So... sure, if he plays a hybrid role, we can call him a Cashback.

But, even better, whenever he get's an interception, forces a turnover, or, in particular, takes a pick-6 to the house:  "The Panthers just got some Cashback!!"

Archived