• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers list Jeremy Cash as linebacker.

Jeremy Igo

Makes sense. I watched some more games of his last night, the Georgia Tech game specifically displayed his lack of coverage ability. It was downright ugly. Lost in space, flat footed,  inability to read and recgonize, and understand zone concepts. I said after watching he has to play lb. He's strictly a downhill run stuffing SLB imo.

3 minutes ago, Mr Mojo Risin said:

That is kind of disappointing.  He must not be good in coverage at all. I thought we finally may have gotten a thumper in our secondary.  Guess I was wrong.  Who in the hell is going to be our starting SS?

My guess is we will be playing a lot of nickel with a free safety and a "roamer." (Shaq likely has the first crack at the roamer role.)

Rivera is less worried about scheme than he is creating favorable matchups. He will gameplan and align our guys accordingly. Between Rivera and McDermott, I'm not concerned. We have the talent. Now they will just find the right combinations.

I love how the media is going overboard with this whole "hybrid" thing. None of these guys are hybrids. The position they describe for the hybrid is Sam LB. The same position we are playing Shaq in. This isn't some new position that has been created for these guys. They are just putting smaller, faster guys in an already existing position to combat the increased passing by offenses in the NFL.

Deone Buchanon, for example, is not a hybrid or a moneybacker or whatever they want to call it. He is a LB plain and simple. The only hybrid guy on that defense is Tyrann Mathieu who plays some S in base then moves to CB in nickel.

Just now, Bartin said:

I love how the media is going overboard with this whole "hybrid" thing. None of these guys are hybrids. The position they describe for the hybrid is Sam LB. The same position we are playing Shaq in. This isn't some new position that has been created for these guys. They are just putting smaller, faster guys in an already existing position to combat the increased passing by offenses in the NFL.

Deone Buchanon, for example, is not a hybrid or a moneybacker or whatever they want to call it. He is a LB plain and simple. The only hybrid guy on that defense is Tyrann Mathieu who plays some S in base then moves to CB in nickel.

The term hybrid really comes from the player's size and abilities. Not their role necessarily. Thus the "tweener" label. If a guy has ability he is a "hybrid" but if you don't have a damn clue what he is and he is likely to struggle adjusting to either position, he is a tweener. Tyrann Mathieu = Hybrid. Everette Brown = Tweener

Our depth on defense is looking really impressive. This is why Alabama is so dominate every freaking year. They always have a few really great players on defense, but they are just 2-3 deep with solid guys at every position.

While the other team's O-Line is huffing and puffing in the 4th quarter, our defensive starters are still fresh. Remember all those games last year we almost let get away in the 4th quarter...can't see that happening this year. Our 4th quarter pass rush is going to be suffocating if just some the pieces we've brought in the the last week come together.

3 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

I'm not so sure. Seems like a very good chance he could supplant Ben Jacobs.

3 hours ago, caatfan said:

Undrafted Duke S Jeremy Cash could play hybrid role with Panthers

"According to team sources, Carolina wants to use Cash in sub-packages. That means he won’t be on the field for every down as a strong safety, but instead he’ll be a situational player.

Cash’s role will be similar to what Arizona did with Deone Bucannon, whom they drafted in 2014 as a safety and transitioned to a hybrid “money” linebacker.

On first and second downs he’d be used primarily to stop the run, cover a tight end or bigger slot receiver. On third downs he could do those things or rush the passer as a blitzer."

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/nfl/carolina-panthers/article75000452.html

It's clear what his strengths and weaknesses are, and you can bet he'll be used to maximize the former and minimize the latter.

Both these statements make the most sense. If he supplants anyone it will likely be a ST player, most obvious being Jacobs.

1 hour ago, XClown1986 said:

My guess is we will be playing a lot of nickel with a free safety and a "roamer." (Shaq likely has the first crack at the roamer role.)

Rivera is less worried about scheme than he is creating favorable matchups. He will gameplan and align our guys accordingly. Between Rivera and McDermott, I'm not concerned. We have the talent. Now they will just find the right combinations.

Yea that's likely what will happen however we did run a lot of the Cover 2 shell last year with 2 safeties deep. If we are going to use Shaq in place of a SS that will cause us to shift more to a cover 3 which isn't necessarily bad....but it does make a difference. It'll be interesting to see what they end up doing.

Archived